Religion, does it cause more problems than it sovles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion, does it cause more problems than it sovles

*Disclaimer: this isn't supposed to be controversial and it isn't supposed to pick on any certain group or person*

I've read some things lately that have reinforced an opinion that I've had for a while. I'm not going ot post the news articles so that people dont think that I'm picking on a certain group because that's not what I'm trying to do. What I am trying to do is to get other people's thoughts on this issue. Does anybody else think that religion causes more problems than it solves? I can obviously see the positive side of it, it can help people explain the unexplainable, it can help instill morals in people, and it can give people something to believe in to make themselves feel that we're not just insignificant in the grand scheme of things. However, if you look at much of the violence in the past and present, it has been caused by ethnocentric people who believe their religion is the only true religion and think they need to kill or convert everybody else. Whether it is one of the major religions (the crusades), or a person's distorted view (WWII and Hitler believing there was a superior race) religion has directly caused some of the largest conflicts in history as well as many of our current conflicts accross the world. Anybody else agree, dissagree, or have any other thoughts?

Again, this isn't meant to be an attack on anybody, and I hope that nobody takes it as such, or takes this opportunity to make one on anybody, it is just me doing some thinking and wondering if anybody else agrees or can expand on the subject. Not that they need my permission or anything, but if this gets out of hand I have no problem with the mods deleting or locking it.

I agree with you....

alot of people have died by fighting over religion or have been killed because of their religion. Ironicly enough religion is supposed to be about peace and love... but it has made many people life-long enemies and caused countless wars and carnage. And all for something that has never actually been proven...

And then on the other hand, religion also causes funny things like the Taiwanese guy who jumped into the lion enclosure trying to convert the lions

Comment

Yeah, I agree. That's why even though I am technically a Hindu, I don't really do anything...don't follow any of it's rules blah blah. IMO religion is too vague a thing is the sense that it is very broadly interpreted by people and this leads to extremism and fanaticism.

I believe in science. None of that supernatural crap...

Note: This doesn't mean I don't believe that there is a god. I neither believe there is a god, nor believe there isn't a god. I don't spend much of my time on thinking about this stuff. I have only so many years to live, and I don't plan on spending them following religious rules etc. I would rather get my job, my girl, my family, make my money, enjoy my life and then die.
      "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

I agree 100%. Religion has been the cause of many of the world's problems, going way back. Mostly because religions tend to paint anyone of a different faith as an "unbeliever" or "infidel" or what-have-you. Generally there isn't tolerance of others who think or believe differently.
        This is one of the main reasons I am not a religious person...
        Overall I feel that while religion has benefits to some people as a place of refuge, there are too many that use it as a means to control other people and justify violence.
        Just my $.02 worth...no disrespect intended to anyone who practices any religion.
        George R. Widener
        Oshkosh, WI USA
        Aircraft Photos Here
        Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

I see where you are coming from, but it's not like I'm gonna go become an athiest and change what I believe...

Comment

Originally posted by FlyCharlestonSC
            I see where you are coming from, but it's not like I'm gonna go become an athiest and change what I believe...
            I don't recall anyone asking you to. Don't take it personal, this is just for discussion.
            George R. Widener
            Oshkosh, WI USA
            Aircraft Photos Here
            Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Those who commit violence in the name of their religion are not true believers in that religion. For example the Muslim fundamentalist car bobmers. Nowhere in the Koran (sp?) does it say to kill members of other religions. Even in Christianity, Hitler persecuted the Jews under the cover of Christianity. But nowhere in the Bible does it say to kill or persecute Jews, after all Christ was Jewish. Just because those religious wackos exist doesn't make religion bad as a whole. That would be like killing all the Pit Bulls just because a few of them are viscious biters.

All this to say, in my opinion religion is good for society. Religion is from where most of our social norms and morals come.
              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

I am not a religious person. And I've found:

All we need to do is follow one rule:

Treat others as you would have them treat you.

If everyone on this earth followed that rule.. there would be no violence like we see today.

-Adam

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16

If everyone on this earth followed that rule.. there would be no violence like we see today.

-Adam
                  unless you're a masochist

Comment

-Adam
                    Maybe you're more religious than you thought Adam

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." - Matthew 7:12

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA

-Adam
                      Maybe you're more religious than you thought Adam

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." - Matthew 7:12
                      Actually that goldren rule is the major focus of most religions. (I saw a poster that stated that rule in different ways of saying it for all major religions)
                      Will F.
                      Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                        Actually that goldren rule is the major focus of most religions. (I saw a poster that stated that rule in different ways of saying it for all major religions)
                        Yes I know. I just didn't know where to find it in the other religious texts.

Comment

No. More than 95% of Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc. are taught to be good to fellow man. You take away religion, and you have no base for that teaching.
                          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                            No. More than 95% of Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc. are taught to be good to fellow man. You take away religion, and you have no base for that teaching.
                            Agreed, but do more that 95%, or even close to 95% of people of any religion follow that?

Religion is a breeding ground for fanaticism...that's why I prefer staying away from it.
                            "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines

Religion is a breeding ground for fanaticism...that's why I prefer staying away from it.
                              Tanuj, you are more that right!

This is why I am not an overly religious person!

Some people take their religion way out of the proportions of what it was thought out to be. They take the fundamentals and twist them around. In essence, religion nowadays has been manufactured and tailored for today's lifestyle and many fanatists have taken it out of hand! Reason for todays problems. Let it be the way it was supposed to be.

-Pete
                              Pete Ganabathi
                              Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

Working...
                              X