Northern US Solar Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern US Solar Storm

The Aurora Borealis is out strong tonight, with a solar storm in progress...bright auroras reparted as far south as Kansas City, MO...
    Here in Oshkosh the entire sky is lit up red and green...by far the most impressive display I've ever seen here.
    Anyone else getting good eye candy in the sky where they live?
    They also say conditions will be favorable for more auroras for the next two nights...and tomorrow is also the peak of the annual Leonid Meteor Shower.
    Good stuff...
    George R. Widener
    Oshkosh, WI USA
    Aircraft Photos Here
    Railroad Pictures Here

ah hah, that explains why I saw the northern lights today, I wish I had a car, then I'd drive outside the town to get a better view of them, unfortunately GFK is obsessed with street lights.

Comment

Can't see the northern lights from Southern Jersey ...
      www.acairport.com

Comment

I will check outside later, if the sky stays clear.
        You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Get your camera... go outside... and take a picture

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
            can't, street lights are too bright

Comment

Roger that.
              I'm going to try that shortly...problem is I don't have a good tripod.
              The auroras have been going strong here now for over two hours...
              I'm suitably impressed, and I see these quite often around here in the winter.
              Of course, nothing like Alaska and other parts of the world...but hey.
              George R. Widener
              Oshkosh, WI USA
              Aircraft Photos Here
              Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

I will try, since we have few street light
                You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Originally posted by matt1168
                  Can't see the northern lights from Southern Jersey ...
                  Well...hmmm... they're seeing them from Kansas City, Missouri tonight. That's further south than NJ.
                  George R. Widener
                  Oshkosh, WI USA
                  Aircraft Photos Here
                  Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

yeah, we actually see the northern lights here pretty often, a year ago I was in a flight course that required a bunch of night solo cross countries, more often than not I would see them while I was out flying in the middle of nowhere. Some of the coolest things I've seen while flying.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                      yeah, we actually see the northern lights here pretty often, a year ago I was in a flight course that required a bunch of night solo cross countries, more often than not I would see them while I was out flying in the middle of nowhere. Some of the coolest things I've seen while flying.
                      I noted that there were quite a few planes up and about here tonight, I thought maybe joyriding and looking at the lights...
                      I generally get to see them often because I tend to work nights out in the middle of nowhere on the railroad...
                      George R. Widener
                      Oshkosh, WI USA
                      Aircraft Photos Here
                      Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Originally posted by pullin4u
                        Originally posted by screaming_emu
                        I noted that there were quite a few planes up and about here tonight, I thought maybe joyriding and looking at the lights...
                        I generally get to see them often because I tend to work nights out in the middle of nowhere on the railroad...
                        that's gotta be a pretty cool job George. Is it usually just you up in the cab, or are you up there with somebody else? I think I'd actually enjoy that as long as I wasn't driving a train back and forth in a place like North Dakota with nothing to look at.

Comment

wow, i went outside to look and saw some meteor's. I see something like green lights and red to that effect? northern lights?

Alex
                          Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

I believe they are called Meteorite once they enter the earths atmosphere alex...

Keep lookin for those glowing lights :P

-Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AA_MD-80@STL
                              wow, i went outside to look and saw some meteor's. I see something like green lights and red to that effect? northern lights?

Alex
                              Yes. You would be seeing shimmering green and red lights, mostly to the north of your location.
                              Lotsa meteors out there too.
                              And Adam, they are meteors until they actually hit the earth's surface. From that point on they become meteorites.
                              George R. Widener
                              Oshkosh, WI USA
                              Aircraft Photos Here
                              Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Working...
                              X