Tornadoes in Oklahoma City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tornadoes in Oklahoma City

Well, what a day. Several cells fired off along a boundary (dunno if it was a dryline or a convergence zone), one of which became tornadic. It went over OKC, then after passing by downtown, it started producing multiple tornadoes. At one point, there was a multi-vortex tornado. Then it headed ENE of the city and produced more tornadoes in the neighboring county. So far, only damage reports, there maybe some injuries, but for the most part, the tornadoes were small and relatively weak, so hopefully, no fatalities. Also some possible tornadoes north of Oklahoma City with a tornadic storm there, and one just south of Norman. It dumped a heck of a lot of rain where I am, but nothing in the western part of town.

Today, highs in the 60's w/ strong southerly winds and tornadoes, tomorrow, highs in the 40's w/ strong northerly winds and quite chilly.

That's Oklahoma weather for you.

Foxtrot

Re:

Downtown Ok City also got 1 1/4th inch hail.

Comment

Saw that in the news here in Dallas last night. Pretty crazy for this time of year.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Re:

Yep, it is pretty rare for November, but Oklahoma has been hit by tornadoes in every month of the calender year in years past. Heck, there was even an F4 long time back in the 1930's or something, and an F3 in the 70's, both were November tornadoes. Another November tornado was also recorded, but was weaker.

There have also been strong tornadoes in December, for crying out loud, in Oklahoma.

Just goes to show if you have the right conditions (windshear, vertical temperature gradient, etc), you can have tornadoes no matter what time of year it is.

Foxtrot

Comment

Well if your like me and love Thunderstorms you guys got all the good stuff. We just got some rain and lightning, the cells that were heading for Tulsa lost their juice... which pretty much happens all the time.
          -Ralph Duenas

Knowledge & Power Overcome Superstition And Luck.

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Re:

Well, here in Norman, we didn't get anything much escept for a bout of very heavy rain from the storm south of us (its northern part). Actually, the west side of the city didn't get anything.

You know, there's a running joke here. Since Norman has been spared by everything in the past two-three years (ice storms, snow, tornadoes, even on May 3rd '99, we got lucky), they say the "Norman Dome" comes into play. Seriously though, its good that we're that lucky. But when it comes to snow, in the last three years, we never got more than a dusting to 3 inches (most of it melted before the next day). And Boren doesn't cancel classes till we get a foot of snow.

Comment

It is the Sooner luck! Natural disasters would not hit where the nation's #1 COLLEGE FOOTBALL team lives, works and plays...

Go Sooners!
              Huck the Fuskers!
              Culture is roughly anything we do that the monkeys do not. --Lord Raglan
              For more of my shots have a look at www.okairpix.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by okairpix
                It is the Sooner luck! Natural disasters would not hit where the nation's #1 COLLEGE FOOTBALL team lives
                I would have to disagree with you on that Jim. Go USC!!!!
                -Ralph Duenas

Knowledge & Power Overcome Superstition And Luck.

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Working...
                X