X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland is named 'best country'

Ireland is named 'best country'

Dubliners have reason to be cheerful, the survey finds
    Ireland is the best place to live in the world, according to a "quality of life" assessment by Economist magazine.

The country's combination of increasing wealth and traditional values gives it the conditions most likely to make its people happy, the survey found.

Ireland was followed by Switzerland, Norway and Luxembourg. All but one of the top 10 were European countries.

The USA languished in 13th, while Britain was 29th - the lowest of the pre-expansion EU nations.

'TOP TEN COUNTRIES'
    1 Ireland
    2 Switzerland
    3 Norway
    4 Luxembourg
    5 Sweden
    6 Australia
    7 Iceland
    8 Italy
    9 Denmark
    10 Spain

The survey was prepared for the Economist's "World in 2005" publication, with the remit: "Where will be the best place to live in 2005?"

Researchers took into account not just income, but other factors considered important to people's satisfaction and well-being.

They included health, freedom, unemployment, family life, climate, political stability and security, gender equality and family and community life.

The Economist said: "Ireland wins because it successfully combines the most desirable elements of the new, such as low unemployment and political liberties, with the preservation of certain cosy elements of the old, such as stable family and community life."

The magazine admits that measuring quality of life is not a straightforward thing to do, and that its findings will have their critics - "except, of course, in Ireland".
    - The baby will be back -

sweet, I wish I remembered more of dublin...damn guiness

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
      sweet, I wish I remembered more of dublin...damn guiness
      Dont worry you will grow out of that.................................

Comment

Jeez, What happened to Canada. I remember when we used to be in the top five all the time on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_333
          Jeez, What happened to Canada. I remember when we used to be in the top five all the time on that list.
          they finally realized 'damn its cold up here'

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
            Originally posted by dave_333
            they finally realized 'damn its cold up here'

Hey now!!! I like Canada!

-Pete
            Pete Ganabathi
            Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

Canada is high on the United Nations list (we were first a couple of years in row). This list is from a magazine that is printed in Britain and sold mainly in Europe.

Comment

Iceland is always forgot about.
                www.acairport.com

Comment

all european countries...interesting
                  www.airplanegeek.com

I'm looking for anything and everything Air 21 related

Comment

Re: Ireland is named 'best country'

Originally posted by babypurin
                    Ireland is named 'best country'

Dubliners have reason to be cheerful, the survey finds
                    Ireland is the best place to live in the world, according to a "quality of life" assessment by Economist magazine.

The country's combination of increasing wealth and traditional values gives it the conditions most likely to make its people happy, the survey found.

Ireland was followed by Switzerland, Norway and Luxembourg. All but one of the top 10 were European countries.

The USA languished in 13th, while Britain was 29th - the lowest of the pre-expansion EU nations.

'TOP TEN COUNTRIES'
                    1 Ireland
                    2 Switzerland
                    3 Norway
                    4 Luxembourg
                    5 Sweden
                    6 Australia
                    7 Iceland
                    8 Italy
                    9 Denmark
                    10 Spain

The survey was prepared for the Economist's "World in 2005" publication, with the remit: "Where will be the best place to live in 2005?"

Researchers took into account not just income, but other factors considered important to people's satisfaction and well-being.

They included health, freedom, unemployment, family life, climate, political stability and security, gender equality and family and community life.

The Economist said: "Ireland wins because it successfully combines the most desirable elements of the new, such as low unemployment and political liberties, with the preservation of certain cosy elements of the old, such as stable family and community life."

The magazine admits that measuring quality of life is not a straightforward thing to do, and that its findings will have their critics - "except, of course, in Ireland".
                    here are the worlds most livable cities 2004, assessed by The Economist.

1= Melbourne
                    2= Vancouver
                    3= Vienna
                    4 Perth
                    5 Geneva
                    6= Adelaide
                    6= Brisbane
                    6= Copenhagen
                    6= Montreal
                    6= Oslo
                    6= Sydney
                    6= Zurich
                    13= Helsinki
                    13= Stockholm
                    13= Toronto

next trips
                    USA/DXB August.

Comment

Originally posted by airplanegeek
                      all european countries...interesting
                      last time i looked Australia was about as far away from Europe as you could get!

next trips
                      USA/DXB August.

Comment

Working...
                      X