Fans/Players Riot in NBA Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fans/Players Riot in NBA Game

Holy sh*t! This has to be one of the worst fights I have seen in the NBA. Turn on ESPN at the top of the hour and you will have an idea what I am talking about...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._pistons_brawl

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Players and fans exchanged punches in the stands as an NBA game turned so ugly a police investigation was necessary. Indiana's Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson charged into the stands and fought with fans in the final minute of their game against the Detroit Pistons (news) on Friday night, and the brawl forced an early end to the Pacers' 97-82 win.

"I felt like I was fighting for my life out there," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "I'm sorry the game had to end this way."

Officials stopped the game with 45.9 seconds remaining after pushing and shoving between the teams spilled into the stands once fans got involved by throwing things at the players near the scorer's table.

About three hours following the startling finish, Auburn Hills police walked out of a television trailer with videotapes gathered from various media outlets.

Officers interviewed witnesses at the arena in suburban Detroit, and planned to talk to the players involved in the melee.

"We'll put it all together, take it to the Oakland County Prosecutors Office and have them review it and they'll decide if there are any charges," Auburn Hills Deputy Chief Jim Mynsberge said. "I hope we can do it before Thanksgiving."

Mynsberge added: "At this time, we don't have any indication of major injuries."

That's probably the only fortunate fact.

"There's no place in the game for what went on with this incident," said Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president of basketball operations. "It was just an ugly scene."

Detroit's Larry Brown, who started coaching in 1972 after his playing career ended, said it was the ugliest thing he had seen as a coach or player.

After several minutes of players fighting with fans in the stands, a chair, beer, ice and popcorn were thrown at the Pacers as they made their way to the locker room in one of the scariest brawls in an NBA game.

It all started when Detroit's Ben Wallace went in for a layup and was fouled hard by Artest from behind, and escalated when Artest stormed into the stands after being hit by a full cup.

After being fouled, Wallace wheeled around and pushed Artest in the face. The benches emptied and punches were thrown.

As the players continued shoving each other near center court and coaches tried to restore order, Artest sprawled out on his back on the scorer's table, looking relaxed.

Just when it appeared tempers had died down, Artest was struck by a cup thrown from the stands and jumped up and charged into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

"He was on top of me, pummeling me," fan Mike Ryan of Clarkston said. "He asked me, `Did you do it? I said, `No, man. No!'"

Jackson joined Artest in the melee and threw punches at fans, who punched back at them.
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Video of the riot- http://premium.cnn.com/pr/video/meta...l.affl.np.smil
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Just woke up and saw it on Sportscenter. Def. one of the worst fights at a sporting event ever. Fists flying, chairs, beer, and popcorn used as weapons. Not professional at all. Some biiiiig lawsuits are coming. I feel sorry for all the little kids who had to watch as well.

(The came was televised here too but I had basketball practice so I couldn't watch it live, must have been scary)
      GO SIOUX

Comment

I hope this starts a trend. If this happens more often I might actually start watching that crappy sport.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
          I hope this starts a trend. If this happens more often I might actually start watching that crappy sport.
          Is that why you are a hockey fan?

Comment

another reason the nba is the worst professional sport.
            i've only heard/read talk of punishing the players. what about the fans?
            the court needs to have a perimeter similar to hockey.
            www.airplanegeek.com

I'm looking for anything and everything Air 21 related

Comment

I gave up on basketball when Michael Jordan retired. The first time.
              George R. Widener
              Oshkosh, WI USA
              Aircraft Photos Here
              Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

The NBA sucks. It's just a bunch of a$$holes with way too much money on their hands way too early in life and maturity (not like half of those people could ever dream of acting mature).

I prefer to watch college basketball (GO DUKE!!!) where the players have not yet been corrupted.

Anywhoo--fans can be a$$holes as well as players--this proves it.

Comment

I believe that with all the problems the NBA has been having with its players, that anyone who engages a fan over ANYTHING should be banned from the league...... Those cry babies make millions of dollars to put a ball thru a hoop.... If a fan throws anything, they should be arrested, and banned from further games.... that would stop the problems..... You never saw Jordan, Magic, Bird, Thomas, Hakeem the Dream act like this....those were real players, who didnt have a problem with congratulating eachother after a game..... The NBA has turned into a bad thing..... This is just another reason to put College players back on the Olympic team.......

Comment

artest suspended for the season, jackson for 30 games, oneal for 25 games, and wallace for 6 games.
                    Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

Artest will be lucky to get off with a suspension, we dont even know if the first fan he went after was the one that threw the bottle
                      He who expected nothin......aint gonna be deceived-JR

Comment

Guess they should have given him is month of to do his rap promotional thing .... he's "Gangstah!"

Comment

Guess they should have given him is month of to do his rap promotional thing .... he's "Gangstah!"
                          im sure he will have plenty of time for that
                          He who expected nothin......aint gonna be deceived-JR

Comment

Working...
                          X