New York hotel now offers a $10,000 martini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York hotel now offers a $10,000 martini

Drinkers might want to keep a clear head when ordering a martini at New York's historic Algonquin Hotel or they might pay $10,000 for that cold sip.

The landmark hotel, where famed wit Dorothy Parker and fellow literary lights at the Round Table imbibed, offers a $10,000 martini, complete with a loose diamond at the bottom.

No one has ordered one yet, in the martini's first week on the menu, but the hotel hopes some romantic soul will buy one any day now.

"We haven't had any buyers yet, but a lot of people are talking about it," said Anthony Melchiorri, the hotel's general manager, on Wednesday.

The drink is designed to fit with tradition at the Algonquin, where Round Table members including Parker, writer Robert Benchley, playwright George S. Kaufman and "The New Yorker" magazine founder Harold Ross gathered regularly.

Today, Parker's ode to the martini adorns hotel napkins: "I love a martini -- but two at the most. Three I'm under the table; Four, I'm under the host."

Parker's response to the $10,000 martini might be mixed, the manager conceded.

"I think she would like the idea so long as she'd get to drink it," he said. "I don't think she'd care about the diamond, but she'd care about the martini."

Fear not, the manager added, no one can really order the martini by mistake. The tipple requires 72 hours' notice, and buyers meet with a jeweler to select a gem and with hotel staff to ensure the cocktail is delivered to the right table.
    - The baby will be back -

In addition to the small diamond lying at the bottom, the glass could be in real chrystal d'Arques with a layer of pure gold
    Alain
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

If you're already drunk.....don't buy one!

You will surely regret it in the morning!

-Pete
      Pete Ganabathi
      Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

Originally posted by NWAirlinkCRJ@ERI

-Pete
        You may be knocked out by just remembering the stratospheric tab for the sip

Alain
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

10,000 for a glass???? damn.... now thats the way to make enemies, wasting that kind of money on a drink when they could use it to help feed hungry people..... I dont like that kind of thing.... Maybe cause I wish I had 10,000 to spend on ANYTHING.......

Comment

Originally posted by uy707
            Originally posted by NWAirlinkCRJ@ERI

-Pete
            You may be knocked out by just remembering the stratospheric tab for the sip

Alain

-Pete
            Pete Ganabathi
            Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

man...that martini sh!t costs 10 euro a bottle here
              Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
              - Metzgermeister

Comment

I hate this kind of decadence. Just like the creeps who light their cigars with banknotes. Showing that you've got more money than you can spend... Yuk.

Tillerman.
                They locked up a man
                who wanted to rule the world
                The fools
                They locked up the wrong man

-Leonard Cohen, Songs Of Love And Hate

Comment

I wonder if this the same hotel that offers the $1,000 dollar omelet.
                  - The baby will be back -

Comment

Originally posted by babypurin
                    I wonder if this the same hotel that offers the $1,000 dollar omelet.
                    Stuff enough caviar and truffles into almost anything and you can charge a sky high price for it.
                    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Working...
                    X