US allows use of evidence gained by torture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US allows use of evidence gained by torture

Evidence gained by torture can be used by the US military review panels deciding the fate of detainees at Guantanamo Bay, the US Government has conceded.

Lawyers acting for Australian detainees in Cuba have called on the Australian Government to renounce the practice.

About 70 years ago, the United States Supreme Court ruled evidence gained through torture was inadmissible.

Deputy associate Attorney-General, Brian Boyle, has told the District Court in Washington DC, that the Guantanamo review panels are allowing such evidence.

Michael Ratner, a human right lawyer with the Centre for Constitutional Rights, says he was shocked with the Bush administration's admission.

"Never in my 30 years of being a human rights lawyer would I ever expected to be in the state that we've arrived at," he said.

Mr Ratner says the admission amounts to a tacit acceptance of torture.

"You're saying to another country or another place, torture people and we'll just use the product of it," he said.

He says the Howard Government must condemn torture and the use of evidence produced from it.

This week the International Committee of the Red Cross accused the US military of using tactics "tantamount to torture" on prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, a claim the Pentagon rejects.

Two Australians, Mamdouh Habib and David Hicks, are being held at Guantanamo Bay.

The US military lawyer appointed to defend Hicks, says the Australian Government should do more to ensure his client gets a fair trial.

He says Mr Hicks will not get a fair trial before the Commission and the Australian Government is not doing anything about it.

He says there must be rules of evidence.

"This Military Commission system is designed to allow evidence that could have been obtained under torture to be used as evidence against people," he said.

"Rules of evidence and procedures have been designed to keep uncredible evidence out and credible evidence in".

Maj Mori says Australia should protest against the Commission process like Britain has and hold an inquiry into its legal standards.

Major Michael Mori is in Melbourne for a seminar on legal tactics.
    Australia's leading source of information and entertainment

How can the US government be respected, as it is yet another regime that condones the practice of torture.
    YBBN - James

Why type of torture are we talking about here? If by "torture" they mean sleep deprivation, stress positions etc. they are all legitimate interrogation techniques. If it is violent torture the Bush administration need to be held accountable for using a method that doesn't even work.

Comment

For-against
      (inspiration from the "Good, Bad and Ugly" entry in Car, UK prominent car monthly magazine)

(For : Nothing )

( Against : Everything )

- the interrogator may go too far, much too far, especially if deeming necessary to get some information at any cost !
      - his hierarchy may add to the picture by pressuring the interrogator.

To sum up

Here probably come some people who should convince their superiors in granting them a leave for sabbatical year to take on an internship in the old-school UK, where interrogators were famous in getting anything they wanted to hear WITHOUT resorting to harming.

Alain
      Thanks for visiting
      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
      *JetPhotos*
      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

You know I noticed something yesterday. Usually when i was at a sporting event there was a sense of pride that I got whenever i heard the national anthem, especially right after 9/11 when everybody started pulling together and helping eachother. I used to get this tingle down my spine whenever I heard it and heard a bunch of people singing along. Yesterday at the hockey game? Nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
          You know I noticed something yesterday. Usually when i was at a sporting event there was a sense of pride that I got whenever i heard the national anthem, especially right after 9/11 when everybody started pulling together and helping eachother. I used to get this tingle down my spine whenever I heard it and heard a bunch of people singing along. Yesterday at the hockey game? Nothing...
          That's what happens when you live in North Dakota. Too close to Canada.
          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Can we not turn this fourm into just another fourm like a.net?

P.S and no offense Grant but you can take down the Avatar he lost.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmh
              P.S and no offense Grant but you can take down the Avatar he lost.
              Sorry I forgot having a picture of Kerry was against the rules.

Comment

I thought the consititution said no to torture. Can anyone confirm?
                Sam Rudge
                A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
                  Knowlege is Knowlege, regardless of how it was obtained...

Y'all wouldnt be saying this if the government NOT using the information caused another national tradgedy...

Therefore I take it you don't object to US POWs in Iraq being tortured in order to receive information on where/when the next strike will occur??

So to translate what you said, torture is ok as long it is he other guy.
                  YBBN - James

Comment

Nobody has answered my question yet, what type of torture methods have been used by US interrogators?

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
                      Yeah, Torture is a very powerful weapon against those who have been defeated and dont release information which could save lives or advance the peace process in Iraq.

As I said, this forum would be the first to wail at any government which COULD have used torture to recive information but didnt, and that missed evidence caused another "national" tradgedy.

It may not be totally reliable information though. The subject may have half knowledge, or have heard something .. then throws in some of his own stuff to make it sound a little better.

Then if its good for CountryX to use such a method, then why can't CountryY? And if CountryX and Y can, then Z sure as hell can. Then you'd probably have different opinions on what is 'acceptable' in different places, etc, etc, etc.

"They are only toes...."*snip*

That was jumbled!

Edit: I wonder what methods are used as well...

Comment

Originally posted by GrantT
                        Nobody has answered my question yet, what type of torture methods have been used by US interrogators?
                        Well since none of us are in Phy Ops for the U.S armed forces and since the news media is as reliable as 1959 Ford Edsel to correctly report this, there is no right answer. Because there are hundreds of ways to get people to talk.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmh
                          Originally posted by GrantT
                          there is no right answer.
                          Exactly! There isn't even any evidence in the article to suggest that any illegal torture is being carried out by the United States.

Comment

Working...
                          X