X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YOSHA!!!

Found it...its name is Las Palmas...

These are some of the sites I managed to find...Hope this helps

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't..."

Comment

The death toll currently stands at over 24,000... some even predict that it might go as high as 60,000.

My condolences go out to all who lost family members, loved ones and friends in the tragedy. It's even worse to think I've been to two of the affected areas before (Phuket & Penang).

I've also heard of the tsunami danger from Las Palmas - scary to think what would happen to the Caribbean and the Atlantic seaboard...

Cathay Pacific - The Heart of Asia

Comment

Could be world record of worst natural disaster

Comment

Huge Tsunami hits Asia

Originally posted by pbateson
          Could be world record of worst natural disaster
          Not really. There was a heavy earthquake in China some decaded ago that supposedly killed over 500.000 people .
          What is quite impressive (in that it shows the shear power of Nature), is that the powers that were set free during the quake match energy demand of the entire US for a single year . Talk about massive power.

-Colin

Comment

I fear +100.000 dead, in the Nicobars the waves came about 5 minutes after the earthquake, +30000 still missing.
            So far deaths has been recorded in 12 countries Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Seychelles, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Tanzania and Thailand.
            The earthquake in China was in 1976, during the"crazy years", China refused help from the outside.
            "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Re:

Toll now stands at 44,000, and officials are afraid that's only going to continur to rise. Sri Lanka now reporting 18,700+ dead (1,000 pax train was in the way of the tsunami).

Here's an updated report:

Tsunami Death Toll Rises to 44,000
              Major Relief Effort Under Way
              By ANDI DJATMIKO, AP

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (Dec. 28 ) - The death toll from the epic tsunami that rocked 11 countries rose to 44,000 people Tuesday, and food and supplies poured into the region, part of what the U.N. said would be the biggest relief effort the world has ever seen. Millions remained homeless.

Rescuers struggled to reach remote locations where thousands more were likely killed by the deadliest tsunami in 120 years. Bodies, many of them children, filled beaches and choked hospital morgues, raising fears of disease across the region.

Sri Lanka raised its death toll past 18,700. Hundreds died when a train carrying 1,000 passengers from Colombo to Galle was thrown off its tracks by Sunday's waves, police chief B.T.B. Ariyapala said Tuesday.

The waves wrenched most of the train's cars into twisted metal, he said. The passengers were dead or missing; about 150 bodies had been recovered.

In Indonesia, the country closest to Sunday's 9.0 magnitude quake that sent walls of water crashing into coastlines thousands of miles away, the count rose to 15,000, a number the vice president said could rise.

Purnomo Sidik, the national disaster director, told The Associated Press the toll rose by almost 10,000 people after the government received reports from the previously unreachable western coast of Sumatra.

Some 4,400 died in India; 1,500 perished in Thailand. The Red Cross said malaria and cholera could add to the toll.

Desperate residents on Indonesia's Sumatra Island - 100 miles from the quake's epicenter - looted stores Tuesday. ''There is no help, it is each person for themselves here,'' district official Tengku Zulkarnain told el-Shinta radio station.

The disaster could be the costliest in history, with ''many billions of dollars'' of damage, said U.N. Undersecretary Jan Egeland, who is in charge of emergency relief coordination. Hundreds of thousands lost all they owned, he said.

In Galle, Sri Lanka, officials used a loudspeaker atop a fire engine to tell residents to place bodies on the road for collection. Muslim families used cooking utensils and even their bare hands to dig graves. Hindus in India, abandoning their tradition of burning bodies, held mass burials.

Soldiers and volunteers in Indonesia combed through destroyed houses to try to find survivors - or bodies. The toll in Thailand included at least 700 foreign tourists.

Stories of survival emerged amid the devastation.

A blond-haired 2-year-old found sitting alone on a road in Thailand and taken to a hospital was reunited with his uncle, who saw the boy's picture on the hospital's Web site.

''When I saw Hannes on the Internet, I booked an air ticket to come here in less than five hours,'' said a man who identified himself only as Jim. Hannes Bergstroem's mother died in the tsunami; his father was in another hospital, the Swedish paper Aftonbladet reported.

In Malaysia, a 20-day-old baby was found floating on a mattress soon after the waves hit Sunday. She and her family were reunited.

But the geographic scope of the disaster was unparalleled. Relief organizations used to dealing with a centralized crisis had to distribute resources over 11 countries on two continents.

Helicopters in India rushed medicine to stricken areas. In Sri Lanka, the Health Ministry dispatched 300 physicians to the disaster zone by helicopter.

Sri Lankan Foreign Minister Lakshman Kadirgamar said the United States was sending helicopters. An airborne surgical hospital from Finland arrived, and a German aircraft was en route with a water purification plant.

UNICEF officials said about 175 tons of rice arrived in Banda Aceh, Indonesia, and six tons of medical supplies were to arrive by Thursday. But most basic supplies were scarce.

A new danger emerged Tuesday: UNICEF said uprooted land mines in Sri Lanka threatened to kill or maim aid workers and survivors. ''Mines were ... washed out of known mine fields, so now we don't know where they are,'' said Ted Chaiban, the Sri Lanka chief of UNICEF.

Scores of people were also killed in Malaysia, Myanmar, Bangladesh, and Maldives. Deaths were even reported in Africa - in Somalia, Tanzania and Seychelles, close to 3,000 miles away.

On the remote Indian islands of Andaman and Nicobar, off the northern tip of Sumatra, officials still hadn't established communications. An estimated 3,000 deaths there were not counted in the official toll.

It was the deadliest known tsunami since the one caused by the 1883 volcanic eruption at Krakatoa - located off Sumatra's southern tip - which killed an estimated 36,000 people.

Many of the dead and missing were children - as many as half the victims in Sri Lanka.

''Where are my children?'' asked 41-year-old Absah, as she searched for her 11 youngsters in Banda Aceh, the city closest to Sunday's epicenter. ''Where are they? Why did this happen to me? I've lost everything.''

The streets in Banda Aceh were filled with overturned cars and rotting corpses. Shopping malls and office buildings lay in rubble, and thousands of homeless families huddled in mosques and schools.

Relatives wandered hallways lined with bodies at the hospital in Sri Lanka's southern town of Galle, a stunned hush broken only by wails of mourning.

Momentum grew to create a tsunami warning system like the one that guards Pacific coasts. Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Australia would push for its creation.

''I know it looks like a bit like closing the door after the horse has bolted,'' Downer said Tuesday. But he said he hoped such a system would save lives in the future.

The United States dispatched disaster teams and prepared a $15 million aid package. Japan pledged $30 million and Australia $8 million.

Indonesia's Aceh province exemplified the challenge to aid workers. The government until Monday barred foreigners because of a separatist conflict. Communications lines were still down and remote villages had yet to be reached.

''There is not anyone to bury the bodies,'' said Steve Aswin, a UNICEF official in Jakarta. ''They should be buried in mass graves but there is no one to dig graves.''

Sri Lankan police waived the law calling for mandatory autopsies, allowing rotting corpses to be buried immediately. ''We accept that the deaths were caused by drowning,'' police spokesman Rienzie Perera said.

India on Tuesday said a nuclear power plant damaged by tidal waves was safe and that there was no threat of radiation.
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geez...

Foxtrot

Comment

Now it's up to 55,000, but it will go even higher. Very sad

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

Comment

This is just...unimaginable. 50,000 people gone just like that. I hope the number will cap off soon and not hit over 100,000.
                  It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Comment

The entire east coast of the USA from Maine to Miami rests on a timetable to destruction that could take place at any time with a future eruption of the remaining active volcano on Las Palmas in the Canary Isles.

Scientists have learned that an eruption will lead to a collapse of the volcano into the ocean. Up to half a trillion tons of rock will drop into the sea, sending a mega tsunami-a giant tidal wave-racing across the Atlantic Ocean towards the Americas at a speed of up to 720 kilometres an hour. It will take approximately eight hours to reach the United States. There will be little warning of the collapse of the volcano other than the eruption itself signifying its imminent possibility.

Scientists have estimated that the wave will be over 650 metres high and its 'crest' will stretch from 30 to 40 kilometres or more. The huge wall of water will destroy every single coastline city on the Eastern Shore of the United States and could cause similar destruction for up to 20 miles or more inland. The Bahamas will be devastated and Florida could be submerged.

It is not a matter of if but a matter of when. The volcano will eventually collapse during an eruption due to the presence of water trapped in permeable rock between pillars of impermeable volcanic rock. The volcanic pillars have been left by successive eruptions. In a new eruption, as the erupting lava moves from the magma base to the surface, the trapped water will expand as it heats, causing huge pressures within the volcano. The water will literally lift the top of the ridge-shaped volcano from its base allowing it to slide into the ocean. What is not known is how many more eruptions are necessary to cause the eventual collapse.

The last eruption was in 1942. On average, the volcano has erupted every two centuries. Similar collapses of island volcanoes have been known about elsewhere and traces found of the destruction caused by the resulting massive tsunami. The collapse of a volcano on the Hawaiin chain sent a gigantic wave that crashed ashore on Australia and devastated many smaller islands on route.

The wobble effect
                    It is not just the threat from the Canary Isles. Antarctica poses a far more serious danger to the survival of life itself on earth. The earth's wobble on its axis is just over one degree at maximum. Despite that, the axis is stable at present, the wobble being insufficient to affect the stability of the spin of the earth.

Antarctica is offset. Imagine a large ball. Stick a thin rod through the middle of the ball and then align the ball at an angle to match the earth's tilt and stick a large piece of modelling clay on the base of the ball to represent Antarctica. Adding to the lump of clay or removing from it will eventually cause the axial spin of the ball to lose its stability before eventually settling down in a new axis.

Such a phenomenon on earth would have cataclysmic result with enormously destructive weather severity and global flooding as the gravitational centre of the earth is thrown off equilibrium. The disaster would be instant and much of the earth, if not its entirety, will be plunged into a new ice age.

Global climate change could trigger such a natural disaster as the levels of ice across the north and south Polar Regions change with increasing temperature fluctuations. The scale of such a disaster could extinguish the bulk of life on the planet as we know it. Little geophysical study of the potential hazzards appear to have been published to date.
                    Damn, this is some fvcked up shite

Comment

68,000 and rising ....

ADG
                      ADG
                      No makeovers please .....

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                        The entire east coast of the USA from Maine to Miami rests on a timetable to destruction that could take place at any time with a future eruption of the remaining active volcano on Las Palmas in the Canary Isles.
                        Damn, this is some fvcked up shite
                        Makes me appreciate living in the middle of the country.
                        It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Comment

And I live on the east coast...

Comment

Terrible, just no words for this

i've found these pics:

before

after
                            (credi http://www.digitalglobe.com/sample_imagery.shtml )

this really creeps me, the forces of nature, so devastating
                            Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
                            - Metzgermeister

Comment

80,000 counted dead now......and still rising..............

R.I.P.
                              Jake S.

"There are regular people; and then there are us aviators..."
                              Join the battle- [6thPIR] - Call of Duty/United Offensive {"The Worst Soldier" (1st Battalion)} & {Jake (2nd Battalion)}

Comment

Indonesia is in a state of mourning now, I find it admirable how Indonesians can show so much solidarity in spite of the separatist movement. It was very upsetting to see gruesome footage on Indonesian tv of the disaster site. At least the world is starting to get its act together and provide the necessary aid.

Originally posted by Alessandro
                                A340, so this on www.bbc.co.uk is false?
                                Yes. I'll say this again, I was there and nothing happend. If places like Singapore, Jakarta, and the northern coast of Java are unaffected then what makes you think the waves will make it all the way down to Bali? Sorry mate, you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X