Mosque survives Aceh Tsunami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosque survives Aceh Tsunami

A Mosque is the sole structure standing intact in the destoryed coastal city of Banda Aceh in Indonesia's Aceh province the worst hit area, a TV channel showing the destruction that Banda Aceh bore in before and after pictures taken from satellite showed the previously lush green city turned into muddy ruins completely with the white structure of the mosque intact and the only structre vbisible for miles around even in that image!!!
    Amazing.

I think I saw that on TV. The relief group was flying in a helicopter to deliver supplies to people and everything was destoryed on the coast except a mosque. Then when they got to their destination the people mobbed the helicopter to get the supplies because they had been isloated and out of food for several days. Sad scarey stuff

Comment

The mosque was built in 1614 and most likely withstood the tsunami because it was the only structure in the area that was built well enough (but not purposely) to survive such forces.

Comment

hmmmm there are many reasons that you could think of that you think lead to the mosque still standing there...but who knows.
        ***My Blog***

Comment

have a look at how much of Banda Aceh didn't survive, amazing sat images.

next trips
          USA/DXB August.

Comment

Must have been very sturdy. Anyone know what material was used to build it?
            Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

There has been talk about that in my community amongst all the muslim Older people and what they all say is that it was God's will, and God will protect his house of worship thats why it didnt collapse!
              Only the dead have seen the end of the war-Plato

Comment

Pretty obvious that a building made of stone, brick, or concrete has a better chance of surviving than a mud hut or wood building...just sturdier construction. That and the type of foundation it was built on, terrain levels, etc...
                But I guess whatever people need to think to keep them going in a terrible time...
                George R. Widener
                Oshkosh, WI USA
                Aircraft Photos Here
                Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

They're now reporting that this story is being reported all over Aceh. In many towns and villages, the only structures left standing are mosques - there's even a wooden mosque that survived unscathed despite the destruction of all the wooden buildings around it (in the town of Sigli).

Then again, you also have the miraculous story of the historic church in Vailankani (sp?) in South India. At the time the tsunami struck, 2000 people were inside the church holding Sunday services. The water only got to the doorstep, leaving the church undamaged amid all the devastation. Obviously, everyone inside was safe.

Cathay Pacific - The Heart of Asia

Comment

Working...
                  X