A new Apple iPod and Computer is imminiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Apple iPod and Computer is imminiment

Apple Computer moves to center stage this week as the tech world shifts its attention from the desert to San Francisco for answers to two big questions: Will Apple introduce its first bargain computer - and a cheap iPod?

At the just-ended Consumer Electronics Show here, Microsoft, Hewlett-Packard, Dell Computer and others touted their vision for driving digital entertainment into the living room. Apple was a no-show. It holds court at its own event - Macworld - which begins in San Francisco Tuesday.

Apple won't comment. But according to the buzz among tech analysts and a host of Internet Apple-watcher sites, Apple plans to announce under-$200 iPods that store songs on internal flash memory, like those used in digital cameras, instead of on a hard drive. The iPod now starts at $249.

A bare bones $499 Mac computer - sans monitor - would be Apple's first entry into the budget camp. Should Apple go through with the move, it would make it competitive with entry-level Windows machines.

A low-cost computer "could be a play for all those new Windows iPod users, who just started using Apple products," says Jason Snell, editorial director of Macworld magazine. "Maybe they resisted before because Apple computers were more expensive. Now Apple would have a story for them. If even a sliver of them bought a new Mac computer, the dynamics could really change."

Apple has a 3.5% share of the U.S. computer market. Its market cap is $27 billion, compared with No. 1 PC-maker Dell's $100 billion.

But Apple has been on a tear, transforming itself into a digital entertainment company fueled by sales of the ultra-hot iPod. In the last two quarters, iPod sales jumped from 860,000 units to 2 million. Gene Munster, an analyst with securities firm Piper Jaffray, predicts iPod sales for the holiday quarter could hit nearly 5 million.

Apple stock has tripled from a year ago, when it was trading at around $22 a share. It closed Friday at $69.25, up $4.70.

Munster says lower-priced iPods and an economy Mac could double Apple's sales. The company sells around 8 million computers a year; a $500 Mac could add 5 million or 6 million to that, he says.

At CES last week, Munster surveyed the array of heavily promoted new iPod rivals from Creative Technology, Rio Audio, RCA, Panasonic and others.

"There was no iPod killer," he says. "Nothing that could take on Apple in terms of price or ease of use."
    Last edited by babypurin; 2005-01-12, 00:57. Reason: Title fixed
    - The baby will be back -

That's the problem, their montors are so ___ expensive!
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

A $499 Mac may interest me in going over to the Dark Side......

Comment

Originally posted by srbmod
        A $499 Mac may interest me in going over to the Dark Side......
        Dark side..... what worm hole did you get sucked into? Hell, just by usin a Widoze Box you are already in the 'Dark Side'. "Once you use a Mac, you never go back!"

Been using Macs from the get go and while I do the odd PC, there is simply no comparision. Sadly, I will have to miss tomorrow's Macworld Expo (first time in 10 years) but if rumours are true, Jobs and company may just have some goodies in store.

Aldo

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
          That's the problem, their montors are so ___ expensive!

U can always use a normal monitor with a Mac. My initial config for my G5 called for dual Philips 17" monitors, and it worked not a problem.

Comment

Apple is busy to keep a leading edge over the increasing list of competitors. Not a single month elapse without news of somebody introducing its pocket MP3 offspring !!!
            Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

The last Apple I ever used on a regular basis was back in 1993, a nice little antique known as the Apple IIe!!

Comment

Mac mini and iPod shuffle are out!

Supercharged by the M2 or M2 Pro chip, Mac mini has a wide array of ports and Wi-Fi 6E for a phenomenal desktop experience.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOSPACE99
                  Dark side..... what worm hole did you get sucked into? Hell, just by usin a Widoze Box you are already in the 'Dark Side'. "Once you use a Mac, you never go back!"

Been using Macs from the get go and while I do the odd PC, there is simply no comparision. Sadly, I will have to miss tomorrow's Macworld Expo (first time in 10 years) but if rumours are true, Jobs and company may just have some goodies in store.

Aldo
                  Ive used macs, they are like using a fricken PALM for your only computer, you cant do jack shit with them, half the stuff doesnt run from them, and most of the worlds business transactions are not compatible, Mac Suck, their such a pain in the @ss to use.

Comment

I love the Macmini (I never thought Id say that), as for the the new Ipod, I dont like it, there is no screen
                    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Air Rules
                      I love the Macmini (I never thought Id say that), as for the the new Ipod, I dont like it, there is no screen
                      Yeah, I dont like the iPod shuffle either, the screen is one of the best parts about the other iPods!

Comment

Originally posted by 777Captain
                        Yeah, I dont like the iPod shuffle either, the screen is one of the best parts about the other iPods!
                        Totally Agree. The iPod shuffle thing is not only too small, its probably easy to lose and break with its really small parts.
                        - The baby will be back -

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                          Ive used macs, they are like using a fricken PALM for your only computer, you cant do jack shit with them, half the stuff doesnt run from them, and most of the worlds business transactions are not compatible, Mac Suck, their such a pain in the @ss to use.
                          I do all of my business on a Mac. I have Excel, Word, Powerpoint on my HD as I type this. And should a program not be 'compatiable' with 'X', I just launch 'Virtual PC' which emulates a PC desktop on my Mac and I am able to use any and all PC programs. I readily admit that the Mac is not everyone's cup of tea and thats cool, I just find it annoying that people dump (sales people at Compusa, Fry's, come to mind ect..) on the Mac before ever sitting down and seriously looking at the platform, especially now with OSX. I personally know of 2 IT guys that pray that the business world does not wake up to the Mac. As one stated to me, if many of the businesses were to make the 'switch' their numbers (the IT people) would grow much smaller. I believe that I read somewhere (ZDNet, Wired, or some such publication, I'll see if I can drag it up) that 60% of IT pros go home to a Mac at the end of the day, I can only imagine why.

My brother in Tampa was of the same opinion as you. He would sit down at a Mac for about 10 minutes and declare that "Jobs and company should be shot for polluting the computer world with this garbage". A few years later after OSX had been out for a while I thought that the new OS might sway his opinion of the Mac. So I talked him into trying my G5 once again about a year ago, again, after 30 minutes he was of the same anti-Mac mindset as he had always been and I lost our wager. Fast foward 6 months later, I visit him in Florida and what do I see in the corner of his home? Bottom line, he just got tired of the constant crashes, viruses, worms and lack of support for Redmond. So he took a deep breath and walked into a local Compusa and walked out with his new 20in iMac (I guess some of my badgering actually worked) and after spending an hour or so familiarizing himself with the OS, the plug & play' nature of the platform, he fell in love with the Mac OS. He is still using his PC for gaming however.

Love Macs or hate em, they are here to stay much to the chagrin of the Michael Dell's of the world. Also bare in mind if it were not for Job's and the Woz's vision to take the 'GUI', the pointer (what we now call a mouse) that PARC Zerox created and develop the Mac, chances are that we might still be having this converstaion on DOS box. So at least show some respect to the guys from Cupertino

Aldo

Comment

iPod shuffle is to take business from the Flash MP3 players out there.

But I'm in love with that Mac mini. It's more powerful than my 15in iMac that I'm using now. $600 and I can get the 1.42 gb processor and the 80gb hard drive. It's on my 'to buy list'.

And yeah, Chris, you are a confused kid.

Aldo's got it right.

Comment

I'm in the ranks of Greg and Aldo here. I currently am using a 900Mhz G3 14 inch iBook. With college approaching next year, I decided I would like a desktop to supplement my iBook. The Mac mini is my new desktop computer. We have a couple of 17 inch monitors around the house, so that was not a major issue. The final price on the Mac mini which I want is $800, which is the 1.42 Ghz G4, Superdrive, and 512 of RAM, along with the mouse and keyboard. At 2 inches tall by 6.5 inches wide and weighing a whole 2.9 lbs, this computer is perfect for the dorm room, where space is a luxury.
                              It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X