Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

France wants to start a new relationship with the U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France wants to start a new relationship with the U.S.

France called for a new start to relations with the United States on Wednesday after a long chill over the Iraq war and said the countries' leaders should talk more often.

Foreign Minister Michel Barnier made transatlantic relations a priority in a speech outlining his goals in 2005. His comments echoed overtures to Washington by President Jacques Chirac and followed signs that President Bush (news - web sites) wants better ties.

"I think 2005 should mark a new start in our relations, between the United States and France and between the United States and Europe," he told reporters gathered at the Foreign Ministry for the minister's traditional New Year greetings.

Barnier, who visited Washington last month, said relations should be based on "listening to each other, having a more regular dialogue and mutual respect." He has said he planned to visit the United States every three to four months.

"I think the NATO (news - web sites) summit will be one of the occasions to enter into these new, constructive relations between Europe and the United States," Barnier said, referring to Bush's planned visit to NATO and the European Union (news - web sites) on Feb. 22.

U.S.-French relations deteriorated sharply over the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, but both presidents have signaled they want to make a new start during Bush's second term and are due to hold talks in Washington in the next few weeks.

Chirac sent Bush a warm personal greeting last week before the U.S. president is sworn in for a second term on Jan. 20. and proposed they work together to make 2005 a year of transatlantic trust and unity.

No date has been set for Chirac's Washington visit but it is expected just before or after Bush's trip to Europe. U.S. officials say both sides want to look ahead, not back.

Strains have also emerged at times in U.S. relations with the EU under Bush, including over Iraq and trade. They averted a legal clash over rivals Airbus and Boeing on Tuesday, agreeing to talks on eliminating subsidies fed to the two plane makers.

DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ

In his speech, Barnier highlighted France's support for the transition to a stable democracy in Iraq on the eve of talks between Chirac and Iraqi President Ghazi al-Yawar.

France hopes the visit will help put relations with Baghdad on a new footing after months of strains. It should have taken place last September but was postponed after the kidnap of two French journalists in Iraq. They were freed last month.

"Despite the violence, despite the dangers, this year should be the year of transition toward a calm situation in which the Iraqi people must regain full control of their sovereignty and destiny with the departure of foreign troops," Barnier said.

He is due to meet Yawar on Friday.

Barnier's other priorities were efforts to secure a peace deal between Israel and the Palestinians, stability in the Balkans and efforts to convince French voters to back the European Constitution in a referendum.

Barnier is expected to make a series of trips within France as part of efforts to explain the constitution to voters and boost the chances of it being approved in the referendum, which Chirac says will be held some time before the summer.

The treaty, intended to make the EU function more smoothly after its expansion, needs the backing of all 25 member states.
    - The baby will be back -

Good for France. It takes a lot of power to not laugh at America when we've clearly been wrong about the whole WMD thing. I'm glad they're not laughing their ass off at America's newest folly, and giving us another chance to actually do something good for the world in this decade.

Speaking of which...where are the WMDs?

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter

Speaking of which...where are the WMDs?
      actually I read the other day that the unit that was looking for them was disbanded.

I really don't think that France should be the ones that should have to be reaching out. We were obviously the ones in the wrong. However I dont think that such a dissagreement shoudl have made such a rif between countries.

Comment

I suspect Chirac to seek a re-election in 07. Before that he needs "killing off" Nicolas Sarkozy, 25 year younger, avowed Atlantist and keeping up good relations of his own with both Colin Powell and Condy Rice. Warming up relations with G.W.Bush and his administration may help him to reach the target in outsmarting Sarkozy.... This is not the first time ever campaigning Chirac behaves this way. In the past, Chirac professionnally "killed"
        -former prime ministers Jacques Chaban Delmas, Raymond Barre, Edouard Balladur,
        -former Homeland security minister Charles Pasqua,
        -former prez Giscard d'Estaing
        -Alain Juppé the faithful lieutnantand
        -and previous prime minister Lionel Jospin ...
        Should I would be Chirac (whom I hate) I would look for a life serving term !!!
        What could a real good news, USA-France relations are restored to a premium level, but Sarkozy is really too smart and Chirac for once is the one who crash lands on dust.... ahaha
        Alain
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Barnier highlighted France's support for the transition to a stable democracy in Iraq
          What a joke, France hasn't done anything to support the new Iraqi government.

Comment

screw em...they'd be speaking German if it werent for us busting our asses in world war 2 at normandy...what have they ever done for us?

Comment

Originally posted by N776AU
              screw em...they'd be speaking German if it werent for us busting our asses in world war 2 at normandy...what have they ever done for us?
              That's the attitude that's putting foreign views on America very low. Or you can just keep up your isolationist views.

Oh, and recall it was with French assistance that America became independent to begin with.

Comment

WMD or not the middle east is a far better place without him (Saddam). Now if we can make a popular uprising in Iran. Scare Syria into complaince with the rest of the world and smack the Saudia King into giving his people every right they deserve, and shut down the Madras, we can have a safer world.

I really need to go to France. And go see the Omaha Memorial, besides I bet that 85% of the french people could care less that we dislike them, just like 85% of the US population could care less about the french.....

Comment

Originally posted by N776AU
                  That's right...keep dangling by that one thread of "pride"...blind and oblivious to everything else around you.
                  "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by kcmh
                    WMD or not the middle east is a far better place without him (Saddam). Now if we can make a popular uprising in Iran. Scare Syria into complaince with the rest of the world and smack the Saudia King into giving his people every right they deserve, and shut down the Madras, we can have a safer world.

I really need to go to France. And go see the Omaha Memorial, besides I bet that 85% of the french people could care less that we dislike them, just like 85% of the US population could care less about the french.....

Yes, it is. Now please put a value on the thousands that are dead. It's better off, but the price was (is) still too high. I still think we were very foolish to go to war with Iraq at that time, and we're paying the price for it now. Clearly, the French were right all along. So why not just cop up to it instead of crying "we have the moral high ground"...because Newsflash! We don't.

Comment

Oh, and recall it was with French assistance that America became independent to begin with.
                      So what does that mean? It was also the French (and British) that were supplying the Confederates during our Civil War with supplies and material. Never mind that Napoloen the III had wet dreams of re-establishing a major prescence in North America and one of the ways was to supply military support (if called upon) to the Conferdrates after setting up a puppet goverment in Mexico under Maximilian. And don't get me staterd on 'de Gaulle'.

Bottom line the French have never liked us, what alliances we have had with each other were stictly alliances of convience, not respect.

Aldo

Comment

And governments are there to serve their own interests. I suppose France is trying to ride some coattails right now.

Democrat or Republican you got to love the fact that we're essentially free, we got cheap energy, pride and the ability to continue that. So before you disavow the government that is protecting these interests, take a look at what you have and what your doing. It is hypocritical to say you have "higher" morals and you care about the world when your just sitting in your house, eating what you want, when you want, using abundant electricity and having a damn good time at it.

Comment

Yes, it is. Now please put a value on the thousands that are dead. It's better off, but the price was (is) still too high. I still think we were very foolish to go to war with Iraq at that time, and we're paying the price for it now. Clearly, the French were right all along.

Because every high school student has the answers after watching CNN for 45 minutes.

So why not just cop up to it instead of crying "we have the moral high ground"...because Newsflash! We don't.
                          that's mature......

Can we please lock this thread because it will spin out of control very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmh
                            Because every high school student has the answers after watching CNN for 45 minutes.

that's mature......

Can we please lock this thread because it will spin out of control very soon.
                            Hey, seems kids these days have the answeres millions adults don't know yet. What can I say?

Or maybe the adult who reads the paper for 45 minutes everyday has a much better clue.

EDIT: Yea, lets block this thread.

Comment

Hey, seems kids these days have the answeres millions adults don't know yet. What can I say?

Or maybe the adult who reads the paper for 45 minutes everyday has a much better clue.

EDIT: Yea, lets block this thread.
                              Which papers would you suggest? Atlanta-Constitution Journal, NY Times, LA Times 'Al' Guardian, The Daily Worker?

Aldo

Comment

Working...
                              X