X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon Wireless Users Sue Over Cellphone Feature

Verizon Wireless Users Sue Over Cellphone Feature

2 hours, 38 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Verizon Wireless customers are suing the mobile service provider, claiming that it is selling a cell phone with fewer Bluetooth short range radio features than they expected, the plaintiffs' lawyer said on Thursday

According to the lawsuit filed in California, Verizon Wireless, owned by Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ - news) and Vodafone (VOD.L), excludes some common Bluetooth features in the v710 phone from Motorola Inc. (NYSE:MOT - news).

Bluetooth allows wireless links, within about 10 meters, between gadgets such as phones, computers, printers and headsets. The links are free when the devices are not connected to a cellular network at the same time.

Michael Kelly, the Kirtland & Packard lawyer who filed the suit, said his clients expected Verizon to provide all the Bluetooth features Motorola includes in its v710 products.

But since Verizon Wireless doesn't enable Bluetooth for uses such as photograph transfers between the v710 phone and other gadgets, the lawsuit claims it is forcing users to use its network for functions that would be free on Bluetooth.

"Our allegation is that it's probably more than a coincidence that the functions that are disabled can be replaced by Verizon functions for which you pay extra," said Kelly. He wants class-action status for the suit, which was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.

Both Verizon Wireless and Motorola noted that it is common practice for mobile service providers to determine the features included in phones they sell. Motorola also added that Bluetooth doesn't always involve free wireless connections.

"Nobody in the industry has ever said that Bluetooth would always be cost free. It will vary from operator to operator," Motorola spokesman Alan Buddendeck said on Thursday.

Verizon Wireless said its customers can connect the v710 phone with a Bluetooth headset or laptop computer, while using its cellular network.

Telecom analyst Ed Snyder said service providers' decisions to exclude new features on phones could stunt innovation. However, lawsuits based on these moves are not likely to succeed unless false advertising is involved, he said.

"The fact that people build Lamborghinis that'll go 180 miles an hour and the dealer you buy it from is offering a smaller engine ... doesn't mean you have the right to sue the dealer," Snyder argued.
    If they wanted Bluetooth...they should of gotten another carrier!

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
    October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

Originally posted by Fly_Southwest
    If they wanted Bluetooth...they should of gotten another carrier!
    The bluetooth on the Motorola v600 works fine.

At any rate, they should read what the provider supports before getting it I guess. My v400/600 both have alot of features that my carries doesn't support (My carrier doesnt support the v600 at all officially), but a data cable and a good seem editor fixed that

Because a phone does this and that, it doesn't mean a provider will have this and that enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee

Because a phone does this and that, it doesn't mean a provider will have this and that enabled.
      Yeah I think before somebody buys the phone, they should see what the provider will use!

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
      October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

Comment

Working...
      X