Breaking News- Twister hits Oklahoma City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking News- Twister hits Oklahoma City

Twister has hit Oklahoma city. There is damage, but no word of injuries yet. More details soon.
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

OKLAHOMA CITY — A large tornado caused severe damage here Thursday, lifting buildings off their foundations, toppling 18-wheelers and pummeling an air force base and a General Motors plant.

There were no immediate reports of fatalities, but at least 25 people were injured, including one critically.

Damon Gardenhire, spokesman for Southwest Medical Center, says the hospital has treated about half a dozen people for minor injuries and is bracing for more people.

Injuries were reported at the General Motors (search) plant, but those could not be confirmed.

The storm ran alongside Interstate 240 during afternoon rush hour, destroying metal industrial buildings, a mobile-home sales lot, a bank, a fast-food restaurant and 18-wheelers. Dozens of homes were destroyed.

"We are just beginning to receive some reports of damage but it is still very early," said Michelann Ooten, spokeswoman for the Oklahoma Department of Civil Emergency Management. "We have activated the state emergency center and have called people in to do anything we can to help the communities to get through this."

East of Oklahoma City (search), the tornado left Interstate 40 covered with boards, trees, twisted metal and insulation.

David Waller was at the wheel of an 18-wheeler on I-40 when he saw the oncoming twister. He said he parked his truck and ran for a clump of bushes and a tree. He and two other men who had jumped out of their vehicles clung to a tree as the tornado swept by.

"I'm scared to death," said Waller, shaking, his clothes caked with mud. His semi was whisked into the air by the tornado and dropped on its side. Waller said the sky was filled with litter as the tornado passed by.

"All I saw was a bunch of trash."

Martin Perez jumped out of his Ford Taurus and clung to the vegetation.

"It looked like trash and dirty and all black like that," he said.

His car was picked up over the highway and dropped in the median.

The storm shut down electricity for 14,000 customers in south Oklahoma City, Moore and Choctaw, according to Oklahoma Gas and Electric.

Footage showed heavy damage to Tinker Air Force Base (search) in Midwest City.

There also were reports of leveled businesses near I-240, a major thoroughfare in central Oklahoma.

The landscape was dotted with roofs, automobiles and mobile homes. Power lines and large trees also had toppled to the ground.

The twister was obscured by rain and difficult to see as it blew toward Moore, just south of Oklahoma City, at about 5:15 p.m.

The tornado then moved over Interstate 35 and over Crossroads Mall and tracked east-southeast toward Midwest City and Del City. Sirens blared in Moore and the southern Oklahoma City area just before 5 p.m.

A television helicopter pilot said he saw a mobile home flying through the air near Moore.

On May 3, 1999, 44 people were killed when twisters hit the state, including a huge funnel that hit central Oklahoma. That tornado was rated an F5 on the Fujita scale, the most powerful rating. Thursday's storm apparently was not as powerful — television forecasters estimated that it was an F3.

Storms that gave rise to multiple tornadoes have killed at least 42 people -- 18 in Missouri, 15 in Tennessee, seven in Kansas and two in Illinois -- since Sunday. Officials have estimated hundreds of millions of dollars in damage.

President Bush declared disaster areas in 20 Tennessee counties Thursday, paving the way for federal emergency assistance. On Tuesday, Bush did the same for parts of Kansas and Missouri.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Hmm, nothing compared to the 1999 tornado that leveled 9,000 buildings in Oklahoma city, but still very interesting.
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

tornado season in the states...
      Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

New information: At least 96 injured, the numbers are still climbing. No word on deaths.

Comment

DEVELOPING NEWS

Tornado Hits GM Plant

At least one huge tornado swept through the Oklahoma City area this evening causing severe damage to a General Motors manufacturing plant. At least 125 people were injured, about 12 of them seriously, said Paul O'Leary with the Oklahoma City Ambulance Service.
          Airline Route News
          Airline Route Map Drawings

Comment

Note to self: Do not bid any midwest overnights until wintertime. End Note

I can fly though just about anything.....tornados are not on that list!

Comment

Some photos...

BTW_ 300th post!

Comment

[img]
                http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20030506/mdf270731.jpg[/img]

Comment

wow..that's some bad news...
                  Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by Canyon Blue
                    Note to self: Do not bid any midwest overnights until wintertime. End Note

I can fly though just about anything.....tornados are not on that list!
                    TOO LATE!!! LOL

OHhh you meant for you....I said too late bnecause I AM FLYING TO OKLAHOMA CITY IN AUGUST!! There damn better not be any tornados while I am flying to OKC. Although seeing you ahve two STL flights from the Midwest, you may encounter storms!! STL is supossed to have a Storm on Tuesday when you fly in from Tulsa. Thats all I know.

Comment

Again?

Comment

Working...
                      X