Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More pics from Middle Earth (not 56k friendly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More pics from Middle Earth (not 56k friendly)

Well, since you guys love photos of NZ.

This is near Mt and Lake Tarawera. Mt Tarawera blew its top not long ago (between 100 and 200 years), completely screwing over the area, it destroyed a lot of the landscape so the whole area was 're born' so it looks like it would have a few million years ago.

This is the track leading to Lake Tarawera, it takes a few hours to walk but is pretty cool.

This is Frying pan lake, its the worlds largest hot pool, (or something like that), its around 55 degrees C hot, and gains about 110 litres per second which flows down a stream.

The track leads you right down to the lake, its pretty hot as you can see all the steam.

This is near the start of the stream, you can see the bubbles from the boiling water coming into the lake down the bottom. Around Rotorua the earths crustis very thin, so the steam you see up the top is coming out of the rock, not from the water.

This is the stream, and it is HOT.

This is the blue lake, which is closely related to the frying pan lake. When this overflows (around 80 degress C, almost boiling) Frying pan lake cools down, when this is low, frying pan lake heats up. Its pretty deep, and at teh bottom is one of teh worlds most powerful geysers, however, due to it being underwater, it never surfaces.

These are the silicon terraces, similar but a lot smaller to the pink and white terraces which were destroyed in the Tarawera eruption. Further back, the boiling part, is an iodine pool.

These are more terraces, also with a close up.

Hope you liked them.

This post is the same to the 56k friendly post
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

WOW Sam! I like these pictures so much, i've saved them all, and using the Blue pool picture as my desktop, absolutely stunning, thanks for sharing

P.S. if you have more nice pics, could you share those too?
    Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
    - Metzgermeister

Comment

Thanks for sharing more pictures of NZ, the land of extremes.
      Alain
      Thanks for visiting
      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
      *JetPhotos*
      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Awesome pictures Sam. I like the blue pool one the best.
        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

New Zealand seems like a great place to visit! Nice pics.
          Will F.
          Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Those are some really awesome photos man! I really hope that I can get out to NZ sometime in the next few years; it always looks like such an amazing place.
            www.acairport.com

Comment

Thanks guys, by demmand.

Sam Rudge
              A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Unbelievable shots once again, Sam.
                Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Comment

Totally cool pics of NZ here! I definitely love those shots of Frying Pan Lake and that aerial of Ruapehu!

I believe it was in 1886 when Mt. Tarawera blew up, destroying several Maori villages and even a major hot springs area which had massive terraces. It's still a volcanically active area, as all that hot spring activity attests.

Comment

Beautiful pics; thanks for sharing them!
                    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Working...
                    X