Gps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gps

Do any of you have those hand held GPS systems? Are they good? I'm wondering because I'm thinking of getting one to use for traveling instead of looking at all kinds of maps and printing maps from mapquest. But i'm wondering if it's worth it. I'm looking for something that small and not too expensive and has maps for the US and Canada. Please post whatever oppinions/suggestions you may have.

Thanks

I have been one two tramping trips within 8 months, on the first we had a GPS handhelp unit, the second we didnt. Both times we refered to it due to our maps being extremely old and including what was no longer there and not including whatwas there.

If you haev a decent map and your navigation skills are good you wont need it, if your map is old, it can come in handy, plus, we got it to record our trip, so at teh end we had an exac map of where we went, how far we traveled etc.
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

I'll try to find what model we have. It really saved us when we got lost in orlando in the middle of the night.

Comment

Had a Magellan Meridian color handheld GPS. Was fun to go storm chasing with that thing. Also, saved me and my uncle's ass going to the Dayton Airshow by allowing us to take country/farmroads alongside I-70 instead of waiting in 10 miles of stopped traffic.
        My photos on jp.net

Comment

Originally posted by PortColumbus
          Had a Magellan Meridian color handheld GPS. Was fun to go storm chasing with that thing. Also, saved me and my uncle's ass going to the Dayton Airshow by allowing us to take country/farmroads alongside I-70 instead of waiting in 10 miles of stopped traffic.
          Did you get the Maps CD with that?
          Last edited by Airbus_A320; 2005-01-17, 03:44.

Comment

I was thinking about getting one of those map/trip programs with the GPS dongle for a laptop.

Something like Microsoft's Streets and Trips w/GPS. It's about the same price as a lower end hand held unit, but has more features (than the lower end hand helds). On the downside, you need to drag a laptop around which isn't always convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
              Did you get the Maps CD with that?

I think it was a seperate item, but I did have the USA street maps.
              My photos on jp.net

Comment

Originally posted by PortColumbus
                I think it was a seperate item, but I did have the USA street maps.
                Yea, it is separate. Do you know about updates to the software? Can you download them for free or do you have to buy an updated CD every once in a while if you want the most updated info?

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                  Yea, it is separate. Do you know about updates to the software? Can you download them for free or do you have to buy an updated CD every once in a while if you want the most updated info?

Hell if I know. Take a look at Magellan's website, they might have something there.
                  My photos on jp.net

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleboy
                    on the first we had a GPS handhelp unit, the second we didnt. Both times we refered to it.
                    How did you refer to it the second time if you didn't HAVE it?
                    I walked across an empty land
                    I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
                    I felt the earth beneath my feet
                    Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

My bad, second time we needed it.
                      Sam Rudge

Comment

Looks like you got back safe though
                        I walked across an empty land
                        I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
                        I felt the earth beneath my feet
                        Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

I use a Garmin GPS on my boat. It isn't a hand held unit, but is removal. GPS is an excellent tool in terms of position fixing and navigation. They are very accurate these days. Be warned though, GPS should only be used as a 'tool', not a primary navigation aid. You still need navigation skills. What would happen if your GPS failed, batteies died etc?

Darren
                          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by Katamarino

Looks like you got back safe though
                            Only cause we used triangulation and made our way to the nearest road callingg over 2/3rds that days tramping off due to unexpected terrain difficulties. We found ourself over 1 hours walking away from where we should have been assuming it was flat terrain with no obstsructions.
                            Sam Rudge

Comment

Working...
                            X