Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another trip down I-81, another whiteout (Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another trip down I-81, another whiteout (Pics)

Well, we were planning on driving down to PA yesterday but things didn't go as planned. The forecast called for a little LES in the typical LES favored areas, and we figured that it wouldn't be much of a problem. Turns out, we were wrong.

Before you ask, I was a passenger in the car. No way I would drive and take pictures in this weather!

About 15 minutes down 81, a few flurries appeared, nothing significant-

16 miles from Pulaski, and 50 miles from Syracuse the snow was still falling lightly and road conditions were still generally good-

Soon, it started to get nasty. At least the car in front of us was visible-

We eventually lost our visual reference-

The car was sliding all over the place, so we decided to pull over at Pulaski for a little while to see if it would pass. These two cars had just had a collision-

The road conditions in Pulaski-

This bridge was completely ice-covered. The car in front of us made a left turn onto it; you can clearly see it sliding in this picture. It almost hit the guardrail but was able to stop in time-

After about an hour of waiting, and falf an hour of sliding across the road, we decided to hit 81 again and get out of the LES band. Only 10 miles down the road, this was the scene. Look at the sky-

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Nice pics man!

Yeah the weather conditions up there during this time of the year aren't that good. We got stuck in one of those storms on our way to Canada a few year back. It was very bad, you could barely see the road!
    ***My Blog***

Comment

Nice pics!!

It is blowing about 30KTS and snowing, its a mess.
      You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Nice shots. I love it when the snow comes down like that. Too bad we've only had 1/2inch so far this season . Gotta move to NY/PA I guess .

-Colin

Comment

NY just got some more snow last night. Too bad we dont have school today in the first place.
          - The baby will be back -

Comment

You would think you lived in central Ontario with pics like that. See you are a Canadian in disguise...haha

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
              . Gotta move to NY/PA I guess .

-Colin
              AMEN!!!!!!

-Pete
              Pete Ganabathi
              Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

Originally posted by NWAirlinkCRJ@ERI
                AMEN!!!!!!

-Pete
                If you can get me a Green Card and a job with DLC ...

-Colin

Comment

Thanks for sharing these informative pictures, congrats in coming up with pretty neat photos clearly showing how difficult it was in handling the car under adverse conditions.
                  Alain
                  Thanks for visiting
                  *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                  *JetPhotos*
                  Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Snowed today so I got to go do doughnuts in my Neon.

Comment

Working...
                    X