The death of good music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death of good music

Really, I don't mean to complain, but I think we're the last generation that's going to amount to anything. (I'm 17 btw). A quick look at America's top hundred music clarifys everything:

I mean, really...is that the best the music industry can offer to people? What happened to really classy music? I guess that went out in the mid-eighties. These days you have to look so hard for decent music its not funny.

I was talking about this with a couple friends sometime ago. It's true. It seems so many of the 'new' artists out there are 'developed' and 'marketed'. It's quite sad really. With technology advancing, it's even hard to tell who has real talent and who had a months work of Pro Tools over their music to make it sound half decent.

I don't think I've really been into a 'new' artist in years.

I miss old fashioned (heh) punk, and weird dirty electronics.

I first began thinking music was taking a turn for the worse around 1994 when I started seeing teenage boys looking like they had stolen and applied every bit of make up their mothers owned and a Nirvana shirt.

Half of the things on that list I don't even recognize. Except the trendy artists that have been featured on Electronic Arts games.

Last year someone had written "Punks Not Dead!" on a bus shelter. I had to add ", it's gone lame!" to it with my trusty sharpie.
    Last edited by Genessee; 2005-01-17, 18:11.

Comment

Hardly anymore true songwriters or real musicians left these days...........very sad!!!

Comment

yep, music started to ''commercise'' i'd still prefer non-commercial music, though i don't care if they make 1, 2 commercial song(s) , and the US top100 doesnt make much difference form the dutch,
        Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
        - Metzgermeister

Comment

WOW, there is about 2 songs on there that I think are just ok, everything else sucks...

Very sad, and I hate the song 1,2 step by Ciara and Missy Elliott! Why is it so popular!?!?!?!? Here is part of the lyrics that Ciara sings just to show how much the song sucks...
          -----------------------------
          "(This beat is)
          Outrageous, so contagious, make you crave it
          (Jazze made it)
          So retarded, top-charted
          Ever since the day I started
          Strut my stuff and yes I flaunt it
          Goodies make the boys jump on it
          No, I can't control myself
          Now let me do my 1, 2 step (come on)"
          --------------------------------------------------

Huh? Does anybody else notice that she calls here own song retarded just because it rhymes with top-charted?

Now here are part of the lyrics Missy Elliott raps....

----------------------------------------------------
          "I shake it like jello, make the boys say hello
          Cause they know I'm rockin' the beat
          I know you heard about a lot of great MC's
          But they ain't got nothing on me
          Because I'm 5 foot 2, I wanna dance with you
          And I'm sophisticated fun, I eat filet mignon
          And I'm nice and young, best believe I'm number one (oh)"
          -----------------------------------------------------

I don't even think I have to say why that sucked..... Its a sad day for music!

And I would like to say the worst musicain out there is ashly simpson!

Comment

oops, looks like I just logged in under my old name KBOS and forgot to log in as KBOSv2....

Comment

Only 2 good songs on there.

"Boulevard of Broken Dreams", Green Day

and

"Dare you to Move", Switchfoot

Comment

Man that is sad, wheres the talent in tellnig someone about how you killed someone last night with a drumbeat behind it?
                Sam Rudge
                A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleboy
                  Man that is sad, wheres the talent in tellnig someone about how you killed someone last night with a drumbeat behind it?
                  Huh? Don't get me wrong, many rappers are full of shit, but rapping does take talent, its not that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by KBOS
                    Huh? Don't get me wrong, many rappers are full of shit, but rapping does take talent, its not that easy.

Sorry for the stupid question, but do most rappers write their own raps? As long as somebody writes/sings/raps their own stuff then I think there is some talent there.
                    Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
                    ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                      Only 2 good songs on there.

"Boulevard of Broken Dreams", Green Day

and

"Dare you to Move", Switchfoot
                      greetings,
                      Philip

Comment

The death of good music

Originally posted by Jbrewster1012
                        Sorry for the stupid question, but do most rappers write their own raps? As long as somebody writes/sings/raps their own stuff then I think there is some talent there.
                        If you wanna talk talented rappers, you can't miss Jay-Z: Produced all his songs, produced some for Beyonce. And of course Dr. Dre, man behind Eminem, 50 Cent and others, before they(at least Eminem) started writing their own songs. Have you heard "Like toy soldiers" yet? That song shows that Em has some talent.

-Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Jbrewster1012
                          I don't know about everybody, but here are a few old rappers that wrote their own songs:

Wu Tang Clan (rap group)

Public Enemy (rap group)

Dr. Dre

Tupac

NWA (rap group)

geto boys (rap group)

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                            If you wanna talk talented rappers, you can't miss Jay-Z: Produced all his songs, produced some for Beyonce. And of course Dr. Dre, man behind Eminem, 50 Cent and others, before they(at least Eminem) started writing their own songs. Have you heard "Like toy soldiers" yet? That song shows that Em has some talent.

-Colin

Yeah, as long as they are writing their own stuff, I can respect that.
                            But it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to rap something that's already there. (Lol, not me personally, but you know what I mean)
                            Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
                            ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

There are some good "new" artists out there, like Franz Ferdinand, Green Day, Velvet Revolver,etc.
                              You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Working...
                              X