Why I still love German freeways...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I still love German freeways...

... because you can go over 110 miles without having some cops chasing your a$$ throughout the country . Had to do business in Frankfurt today, which was decided on Monday, and looking at the LH price, I decided to drive and have my dad come as a back-up driver. SO I woke up at 3:30 a.m. and was on the road by 4:30 a.m. And boy, are the freeways empty at that time . Before questions arise, I drove our Opel (Vauxhall for the Brits) Corsa, which actually is more of a city car. Nevertheless, over 130 km/h, 140, 150, ok, speed limited, back up to 150 again, and then over the Kasseler Mountains. The landscape there can look absolutely awesome with all the frost, too bad that the fog blocked most of the view. So into the Frankfurt area, snow, traffic jam, horray! Doing business for 1.5 hours at our franchise facility, and then it's back to Hamburg. But take it slow, streets are now slippery as hell on the first part. But once the mountains are overcome, it's back to raising the speed, travelling at at least 160 km/h, going up to 185. Can't do that in the US . Ok, you can, but you'll probably land in jail for doing so. Oh, and another interesting tidbit: 474 kilometers with 30 litters of gasoline. Talk about fuel efficiency . If I bothered any of you with this, forgive me, but I had to get it off my chest.

-Colin

not only more than 110mph...you can go as fast as you want...
    greetings,
    Philip

Comment

Originally posted by philip
      not only more than 110mph...you can go as fast as you want...
      Not with that car. It is only a compact, and 180 km/h is really pushing it. Now, with the Opel Omega MV6 my dad used to have , 260 km/h and the police can kiss my behind .

-Colin

Comment

Where I live, most people can get away with 10-20mph above the speed limit which is usually 55-65mph.
        - The baby will be back -

Comment

oooo i love the autobahn, with my dad on the back of his motorcycle, 200+, gives me such a kick
          Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
          - Metzgermeister

Comment

The Autobahn is great!
            Will F.
            Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

lol, I'd be afraid to go out if the speed limit was that high around here.
              Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
              ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbrewster1012
                lol, I'd be afraid to go out if the speed limit was that high around here.
                The Autobahn does not have higher accident rates than any other country's highways. If not lower.

The road quality is better, turns are very gentle and well-banked, acceleration and decceleration lanes are very long, and I think lanes are wider too.

On top of that, passing on the right is absolutely prohibited.
                Will F.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                  The Autobahn does not have higher accident rates than any other country's highways. If not lower.
                  Nobody said it did, I think jbrewster was saying if the speed limit was increased where he is. I think I would agree, European driving license standards are generally much stricter than here in N America. Can you imagine the carnage if they abolished speed limits on the 401? YIKES!!

Comment

gotta have some catastrophic accidents on those roads

off topic.....isnt there a highway in canada with no speed limit?

Comment

I don't know if the accidents rates are lower than in other countries, but they are at least average. Usually, most severe accidents are caused by very bad weather, in many cases fog, which causes mass collisions, which easily ruin our safety statistic.

The road quality is better,
                      compared to many routes in the Western US, oh hell yes.
                      turns are very gentle and well-banked,
                      Not in the mountaineous areas.
                      acceleration and decceleration lanes are very long,
                      Some are, some not
                      and I think lanes are wider too.
                      Many are wide enough to support two compact cars in one lane!

On top of that, passing on the right is absolutely prohibited.
                      Which can be a pain in the ass if you have some jerk on the left lane going only 100 when you could do 150.
                      Originally posted by N776AU
                      gotta have some catastrophic accidents on those roads
                      Likes I said, only on some pars with tendencies for fog and mass collitions, like the A9 Munich-Nuremburg.

-Colin

Comment

Originally posted by slate
                        Can you imagine the carnage if they abolished speed limits on the 401? YIKES!!
                        that's a scary thought...

And as far as I know, there is no speedlimit-less road in Canada.

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                        Not in the mountaineous areas.
                        Compared to some Canadian highways, the turns are much better.
                        Will F.

Comment

As far as I am concerned there is no speedlimit on the Trans-Canada highway going through Saskatchewan. The place is so damn flat you can see a cop from miles away.

Comment

There is no speed limit in autobahn?

There a lot of cameras in autobahn.

Comment

Go figure, people going 200 mph on the autoban in Germany yet they restrict the new Brigantine Expressway here to 35 mph. It may save some time versus before the expressway was built, but if you ask me, 35 mph isn't any damn expressway. It only got that way because of the narrow lanes and extremely sharp curves.

^^
                              The 35 mph part of the new expressway (its all 35 mph except for the bridge over the inlet, which is 45).
                              www.acairport.com

Comment

Working...
                              X