Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School Student Sues to Stop Summer Homework

High School Student Sues to Stop Summer Homework

Peer Larson of Whitnall High School in suburban Milwaukee has lived the dream of millions of frustrated high school students: he is suing his math teacher for giving him too much homework. The specific lawsuit is about summer homework which Larson claims the school does not have the authority to give him since the 180 day school year set forth in state law is over.

Larson and his father, Bruce Larson, are representing themselves in the lawsuit after no attorney came forward to take the case. Defendants in the case include the teacher, the math department chairwoman, the school principal and the state superintendent of schools.

The teacher gave Larson and his classmates three complex math assignments to do over the summer. Larson said it just wasn't right to get such difficult work over the summer. 'I had no energy at the end of the day to actually do it during my week. I only had one day off each week when I actually came home, and I could not do it then because I was catching up on sleep or just enjoying myself because that's what I should be able to do during the summer,' Larson said.

The lawsuit contends that summer homework is causing Larson 'undue stress' and is sapping his energy.

School officials have said that summer homework is a matter for schools to decide, not courts. They also noted that Larson is in an honors course which does require some summer work.

Of course, the lawsuit does raise one important question. If the summer homework is sapping Lars's energy, where did he find the time and energy to file a lawsuit?

Last edited by babypurin; 2005-01-21, 21:00.
    - The baby will be back -

Comment

Originally posted by babypurin
      Larson and his father, Bruce Larson, are representing themselves in the lawsuit after no attorney came forward to take the case.
      hint hint...
      Will F.
      Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

He's just labeled himself as a slacker for the rest of his life. His career will go nowhere.
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

I remember the only time I had a summer homework assignment. Between my sophomore and junior years, I had to read the book "Patriots: The Men Who Started the American Revolution" for AP American History. I tried to read it, but it was so boring (even for a history book it was boring) that I gave up after about 5 chapters. Being the student I was at the time, I bluffed my way through the test on it and mangaged to land a 75 on the test! I've thought about picking it up and finally reading it nearly 14 years later.

Comment

I ve never had summer homework, unless I take a course during the summer.
            You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Originally posted by srbmod
              I remember the only time I had a summer homework assignment. Between my sophomore and junior years, I had to read the book "Patriots: The Men Who Started the American Revolution" for AP American History. I tried to read it, but it was so boring (even for a history book it was boring) that I gave up after about 5 chapters. Being the student I was at the time, I bluffed my way through the test on it and mangaged to land a 75 on the test! I've thought about picking it up and finally reading it nearly 14 years later.
              I was supposed to read The Killer Angels for American History class this summer. Didn't read past page one, got a 89 on the test. Thank You Sparknots!

Then we had to read 2 other books. One for chem and one for english. I read part of the chem one and then quit but the teacher told us what parts of it the test woud be on and she let us use notes, so i just made notes for the required sections and got a 94 on the test.

Then for english, we has to read Lord of the Flies. I actaully read the whole thing and the test was an essay test, got a 65 on that. Go figure, got a 65 on the test for the book I actually read the whole thing

Comment

We had always had to read three books at our reading level over the summer and write a 3 page report on each one starting in 4th grade.
                Wu Tang Clan: best rap group of all time

Save hip-hop, bring talent and intelligence back into it

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Air Rules
                  I ve never had summer homework, unless I take a course during the summer.
                  Same here. Once the school year was at an end, it was the end of any academic dealings I had with the teachers of that grade. (Unless its a course I took in high grades as well.)

Aside from going to school over the summer, I've never known anyone who actually got 'summer homework' as part of regular class.

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                    He's just labeled himself as a slacker for the rest of his life. His career will go nowhere.
                    At a job interview:

"Ok everything seems to check out, looks like you will be working for our rich compa.... Wait a minute, your that dork that sued a school for giving out education, get lost!"
                    -Kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X