Snow + Work = HELL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow + Work = HELL!

18 inches of it for my immediate area! That is a sh*tload of snow for South Jersey. I wouldn't really mind it....

....if I didn't have to go to work tonight at 6:30. A friend who works the afternoon shift called me a while ago and told me that taking the train in around 12:00, the train was delayed for 20 minutes due to snow causing equipment problems.

I'm not really sure what to do as far as getting to work ontime, so maybe you guys could sway me in one direction. My options are:

-Driving- I'm a horrible driver as it is (yes, I'll admit it), and driving in this snow will problably not be a very good idea for either me OR anyone else on the road.

-Train- A cab to the train station (not even driving that close today) will only cost me about $5 + tip, but a chance that the train will be delayed or cancelled can leave me stranded there. Also, if the train is delayed for too long, there is always the chance I will be late for work. The train is definately quickest; it only takes 10 minutes.

-Bus- The bus stop is 1 block from my house, so getting there shouldn't be a problem. The only problem is that the bus is slow enough on a normal day (it takes 30-40 minutes to get there versus 15 minutes driving to and on the train), but it is close. The only problem is that normally taking 40 minutes means that today it could take as much as 90, due to the snow and bad drivers out there, so that could get me to work really late too.

-Cab- Problably the best as a door-to-door option, and will assure me of getting there ontime, but it's really damn expensive (about $30 each way + tip) versus the train/bus, which are free to me (my coworkers chipped in and bought me a years supply of tickets for the train, which are honoured on the bus on snowy days too).

What should I do? I absolutely CANNOT call in sick today either, since I had alot of trouble getting onto the schedule for tonight, and had to do alot of begging last week (I work on comission).
    www.acairport.com

Why don't you just leave the house a little earlier than normal giving yourself extra time in case of public transit delays? Seems like quite a simple answer to me. You can always call the train station to check the on time status right?

Comment

yeah, give yourself alot of extra time on days like this...It wasn't snowing when i went out this morning but on the way back...it was HELL!!
      ***My Blog***

Comment

Snow eh? hmm...Im wearing shorts in like 60 degree weather right now, Gotta love California

Next Flights -
        3/31/05 - SWA 2226- OAK/TUS
        4/2/05 - SWA 995 - TUS/OAK
        7/4/05 - UAL 346 - SFO/SEA
        7/11/05 - UAL 631 - SEA/SFO

Comment

Well, guys, thanks for the advice. I was getting ready to go to work; I had called NJ Transit and heard that the trains were running close to schedule, and just as I was about to call the cab to the train station, a friend called and told me that he'd heard the train was cancelled, and since I've had trouble with NJ Transit before, I decided to take the bus. Well, now I'm on my laptop at a hotel room at work; there is a state of emergency and no vehicles except for emergency vehicles and plows are allowed out, so they gave me off of work for the night and set me up in a hotel room. I'm not allowed to leave until 8AM tomorrow.
          www.acairport.com

Comment

WOW!....must be really bad there...( i live a few hours away from there)....it was pretty bad here around 5 and 6....but then they got the plows runing around and its ALOT better...bit still very slick...cars are skidding all over the place...and in our development they didn't even salt the roads!! so its unsafe to drive around here unless if you REALLY have to
            ***My Blog***

Comment

Salt hasn't worked here for about a week...temperatures have been to cold for it to have any effect. Most people haven't been having too many problems, however. That could change overnight as the snow (hopefully) piles up on the roadways...
              Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Working...
              X