Like Firefox? Thank a 15-year-old programmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like Firefox? Thank a 15-year-old programmer

By age 10, Blake Ross was designing Web pages on America Online. By 14, after mastering complex programming languages such as C++, he was fixing bugs in Netscape's Web browser from home, a hobby that landed him a job offer. ``What, at the local store or something?'' David Ross remembered thinking when his son told him. No, at Netscape Communications Corp.

Ross, now 19, a sophomore computer science major at Stanford University, has an even more impressive resume than most of his peers. Before graduating high school, he helped develop Firefox.

Colleagues who worked with Ross only online were surprised when they met him to find ``a scrawny 15-year-old kid,'' recalled Chris Hofmann, engineering director at the Mozilla Foundation.

To take an internship at Netscape during the summer of 2001, Ross moved with his mother to a rented apartment near Netscape's offices in Mountain View, Calif. She drove him to work each morning.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5201612.html
    - The baby will be back -

uh yeah, geek

Comment

Heheh.
      My photos on jp.net

Comment

At least I don't look like Harry Potter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (one of the trolls yeah but not Harry Potter...)
        Besides who the hell are you to say that I am not successful?

Damn you dont even know me outside the fourm

Comment

And I thought I was a damn geek

Comment

There's a good article about him in the new issue of Wired, and he was featured in an article in last week's issue of Business Week; he's becoming quite the media figure as of late.

Comment

Hmmm, waste my child hood and be a geek with no firends and end up making some money... Doesn't sound worth it to me...
              Wu Tang Clan: best rap group of all time

Save hip-hop, bring talent and intelligence back into it

Comment

Originally posted by KBOSv2
                Hmmm, waste my child hood and be a geek with no firends and end up making some money... Doesn't sound worth it to me...
                Tell that to the people stuck in a dead-end job or with no job at all.
                I think this kid made good decisions and they will benefit him throughout the rest of his life...providing he keeps making good decisions. And I'm sure he has plenty of freinds....
                Just my opinion.
                George R. Widener
                Oshkosh, WI USA
                Aircraft Photos Here
                Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Originally posted by pullin4u
                  Tell that to the people stuck in a dead-end job or with no job at all.
                  I think this kid made good decisions and they will benefit him throughout the rest of his life...providing he keeps making good decisions. And I'm sure he has plenty of freinds....
                  Just my opinion.
                  Well said..... everyone who is called a "geek" will somday end up laughing in the face of the "cool" people who think they are so hot in highschool but then graduate and don't know which end is up because instead of working on a skill or something they were too busy partying, smoking or getting drunk with their "friends".

I'm also called a geek/nerd in school, but I don't care.... I enjoy my photography and I rather be myself then be a poser so that people would like me. And I have a few friends too....

Comment

Originally posted by kcmh
                    uh yeah, geek
                    I'd sure like to be a geek if that's what they're like...this guy gives geeks a great name.
                    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

My bosses kid is 16 and he has gotta be one of the best ASM coders I've known, I even use some of his libraries now

Once in a while you come across some people with a natural talent for some things.

Comment

NERD ALERT!
                        -Kevin

Comment

thats so cool for him, people all over the world use firefox, to bad no-one knows him,
                          Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
                          - Metzgermeister

Comment

And what were you doing at age 15?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                              And what were you doing at age 15?
                              I don't even remember 15. School and a crappy part time job would be my guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X