Is It Worth It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Worth It?

Seeing as it January, I took the time to look at my logbook for last year. I flew a total of 876.7 hours as a professional airline pilot, a job that I truly love. Now not that I did'nt enjoy my time at the controls but this is what I missed

Wedding Anniversary- This was our sixth year and I've only been home for one

Birthdays-Missed my oldest son's fifth special day, my wife's b-day and the one that hurt me the most my little man's very first b-day. Now I know he won't remember it but I will,and since I was on a trip the day he was born, I really wanted to be there

Holidays- Thanksgiving and Christmas, both spent in the air

Now I know what people think....you know what you were getting yourself into when you decided on a career,but looking back I have think is it worth it....I truly don't know. What do you guys think?

Simple.

Take the Flight Simulator CD out of your computer, un-plug your joystick and go spend some time with your family.

Then, quit whining.

Comment

Originally posted by Canyon Blue
      Seeing as it January, I took the time to look at my logbook for last year. I flew a total of 876.7 hours as a professional airline pilot, a job that I truly love. Now not that I did'nt enjoy my time at the controls but this is what I missed

Wedding Anniversary- This was our sixth year and I've only been home for one

Birthdays-Missed my oldest son's fifth special day, my wife's b-day and the one that hurt me the most my little man's very first b-day. Now I know he won't remember it but I will,and since I was on a trip the day he was born, I really wanted to be there

Holidays- Thanksgiving and Christmas, both spent in the air

Now I know what people think....you know what you were getting yourself into when you decided on a career,but looking back I have think is it worth it....I truly don't know. What do you guys think?
      Well, you have to take a number of facts into consideration.

1.) Where are you now? Do you enjoy your job?
      2.) What posibilities for advancement in your career do you have?
      3.) Do you believe that your current job in the future can provide a stable living, both financial and emotional, for your family?
      4.) If you choose to pursue a different line of work, how would that affect your familiy, both financially and emotionally?
      5.) Does anything else interest you as much as being a pilot?

The main thing is, you need to try to envision the future. Try ten, fifteen years from now. Maybe you'll be flying 777s on long hauls across the Atlantic. You would be paid a substantial amount, but you would be away from your family even more that you are now most likely. Or, you could have an entirely different career. It may not interest you as much as your current job, but maybe it would allow you to be home more.

Also, be sure to ask your wife her thoughts.

Hope this helps!
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
        Simple.

Take the Flight Simulator CD out of your computer, un-plug your joystick and go spend some time with your family.

Then, quit whining.
        Fuck that. Go on welfare...milk the system and spend the rest of your days at home.

Comment

Working...
        X