Should the US go metric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the US go metric?

Let me re-phrase that. Should the US govt shove the metric system down our throats? I was having lunch with a Canadian colleuge a while back and amongst all of her ranting and raving about the US, Bush and Americans overall (trust me I was stuggeling to keep my temper in check), she spurted out how backwards we were in regards our units of measurements, i.e. tempetures weights, distances, ect.....Then she stated the the goverment SHOULD FORCE all Americans to learn and go metric. After lunch I began to think about this and I recalled during my High School years in the mid to late 70s, that the Carter administration began a half-assed program of 'Metricfication' and many of my teachrs (especially the Mathmatics dept) were trying to pound this alien system into our brains. By the time that Regan came into office in 81 and I was in college, 'metricfication' was all but forgotten .

So, should the goverment force goverment, business and the overall population as it has been done in other countries? Or should we continue down the path we are currently going and slowly adopt metric? No doubt that most non-Americans will answer with a resounding YES.

Aldo

smack her and tell her to mind her own side of the border.........

Comment

Originally posted by kcmh
      smack her and tell her to mind her own side of the border.........

She was Quebecois, so what do you expect?

Aldo

Comment

Get your conservitive A$$ out of the old and get to the new. The US is the ONLY country that does not use the metric system. ONLY!!! I like being different but that is to different.

YEAH LIBERALS!!!
        AL SHARPTON 08!!!

Peace Out!!!

Comment

It's a double edged sword.

It would be good to go to the metric system because thats what the rest of the world does.

But for everyone that already knows the current system and isn't too familiar with metric, it might be difficult get adjusted to a new one. Not to mention modifications that would have to be made to various things.

However if metric was incorporated slowly so that people could learn as time goes on, IMO it would be beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by expoITHscohen
            Get your conservitive A$$ out of the old and get to the new. The US is the ONLY country that does not use the metric system. ONLY!!! I like being different but that is to different.

YEAH LIBERALS!!!
            AL SHARPTON 08!!!

Peace Out!!!
            Such enlighten comments from a understanding and 'cough..cough'...tolerant liberal! BTW, Liberia and Mynamar have not adopoted the metric system. Besides have you been to a supermarket lately? Check out the weight of the products that you buy, and the speedometer on you car both metric and imperial. But again you libs just luv big beaurcratic goverment

Aldo

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
              However if metric was incorporated slowly so that people could learn as time goes on, IMO it would be beneficial.
              Finally, something that you and I agree on

Aldo

Comment

Uh oh, I upset the Republican. Let me start off by saying in Canada (Or in any other country) they speedomter is in KPH not MPH. Also yes most things you buy are in pounds even in other countires. I am not saying to ban it.

Now my attack, Science use the metric system because it is the "INTERNATIONAL" messuring system. I thought the US was pretty International but guese not.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                  It's a double edged sword.

It would be good to go to the metric system because thats what the rest of the world does.

But for everyone that already knows the current system and isn't too familiar with metric, it might be difficult get adjusted to a new one. Not to mention modifications that would have to be made to various things.

I agree. If it was introduced slowly, and started to be taught in school, then a conversion could be successful. But if it just changed one day, it wouldn't work.
                  And then I think some people would be against it just because they're lazy and don't want to change. I don't think there would be any actual problems with using it, other than the fact that everybody might not know the system. However it would cost money to convert everything to the system. And that's money that the US does not have. (Although that theory hasn't stopped the spending in the past)
                  Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
                  ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

Well atleast here schools do teach it but since it is not used in society it is hard to remember it. It is like learning a language. If you go to France you will learn to speak french in as little as 4-6 months, here were it is not much spoken it takes more then a year to learn french.

Comment

Introduced slowly, the metric system just makes a lot more sense (conversion by 10, etc.)

A lot simpler for calculation...
                      Will F.
                      Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Uh oh, I upset the Republican. Let me start off by saying in Canada (Or in any other country) they speedomter is in KPH not MPH. Also yes most things you buy are in pounds even in other countires. I am not saying to ban it.

Now my attack, Science use the metric system because it is the "INTERNATIONAL" messuring system. I thought the US was pretty International but guese not.
                        First, I am not a Republican and just another fine example of how toleran the extreme left is towards a different point of view.

Comment

First, I am not a Republican and this is just another fine example of how tolerant the extreme left is towards a different points of view.

Secondly, my point is that goverment has no right to force this down our throats. Taking a measured approach and allowng the populas adopt the system over a period of time is best. Many Americans are beginning to adopt the metric system.

Thirdly, Indeed science, military and certain aspects of goverment do use the metric system and many of thoses in these areas are slowly acclimating the population to the metric system. But setting a timeline is not the best way to go about it, imo.

Aldo

Comment

my $.02:

teach the metric system along with the english system in schools, then in about 10 years slowly change over(with things like duble marked road signs ect)and finish it in around 30 years...
                            ^----raveing lunatic

please excuse my horendus mangeling of the english language, its only my first :P

Comment

NO, weve already tried it once, it wont work. Anyway, if we are so backwards, why are their miles and feet in Aviation?

Comment

Working...
                              X