No announcement yet.

Should the US go metric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why screw with the current system? It seems to be working ok...
    Wu Tang Clan: best rap group of all time

Save hip-hop, bring talent and intelligence back into it

Comment

No-it won't work. We already tried. The road signs on the NYS thruway were even switched to kilometers, but people had problems with it, so we switched back.

Things are fine now...why change?
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
        NO, weve already tried it once, it wont work. Anyway, if we are so backwards, why are their miles and feet in Aviation?
        Probably cos you guys pretty much invented flying so just applied imperial measurements. Although New Zealander Richard Pearse possibly flew before the Wrights, but no one can tell for sure.

Like Will said conversions are much easier. Also in science e.g. Physics metric is used most of the time otherwise its diffucult to calculate equations.

Comment

America is the single greatest nation on the face of the earth and suddenly we are going to take orders from Canadians of all people? I think not. The rest of the world can cram it up their metric corn shoots, we will keep what we have.
          THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
          Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
          George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Originally posted by expoITHcohen
            AL SHARPTON 08!!!
            Puke. Vomit.

Originally posted by Arrogantboy
            America is the single greatest nation on the face of the earth and suddenly we are going to take orders from Canadians of all people? I think not. The rest of the world can cram it up their metric corn shoots, we will keep what we have.
            Puke. Vomit.

-Tanuj.
            "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
              Puke. Vomit.

Puke. Vomit.

-Tanuj.
              LMAO! Great responses.
              Will F.
              Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
                Puke. Vomit.

-Tanuj.
                Nice to know you can become a senior member of this board by simply calling others names and writing two words. :rolleyes:
                THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
                Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabepilot777
                  *breaks out in alcohol-fueled rendition of Star Spangled Banner*

Comment

Nice to know you can become a senior member of this board by simply calling others names and writing two words. :rolleyes:
                    Much appreciated. You must really know me well.
                    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Sorry, but I have to agree with Tanuj on this one. Your post was full of sh*t.
                      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

And what you said was really mature....

Nobody is trying to force it down our throats. I'm sure the metric system is the last thing on the president's mind right now.
                        Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
                        ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

I find the fractions a pain to quickly calculate off the top of my head, but when I need to it's not a problem to deal with them (as long as I can take a good half minute). Don't people learn fractions in grade 3 anyway?

When I went to school, they had mostly metric, but some imperial. I use a screwy hybrid of both.

People will use what works for them. Canada is 'metric', yet a good portion of older people all go with the imperial system. Ask them about CM and you'll get a blank stare

Learn both! We've got brains!

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
                            Hell no! I would need to change all the tools in my tool box...
                            And what would a pint of me beloved Guinness become??!!!

Comment

Yes, and it could be done slowly but surely by adopting for one a double labelling. As early as in 1991, I have seen numerous road signs either in dual data or on a one in feet/next in metric basis along California roads.
                              Alain
                              Thanks for visiting
                              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                              *JetPhotos*
                              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by KBOSv2
                                Why screw with the current system? It seems to be working ok...
                                Exactly. Besides, metric isn't any fun. :P

Comment

Working...
                                X