Should the US go metric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ACman
    Why go all metric? Although my father says metric is easyer for load planning and dimensions. Metric is way easyer, its all multiples of ten, and everything is precise. I dont see imperial have anything close to a mili-meter.

Duh... Haven't you ever heared of miliinches?

Comment

the only advantage I see to imperial is can you tell me exactly what 1/3rd of a meter is? 33.333333333333333333CM. But 1/3rd of a food is 4 inches. That's about it though.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
        the only advantage I see to imperial is can you tell me exactly what 1/3rd of a meter is? 33.333333333333333333CM. But 1/3rd of a food is 4 inches. That's about it though.
        Since when have you measured food in inches?
        Sam Rudge
        A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleboy
          Since when have you measured food in inches?
          uhh...hot dogs? Hey, I was hungry then, gimmie a break

Comment

I wouldn't say so much as to radically implement one and abolish the other. I think both should be taught or made aware, so that people can be familiar with either and have a choice to use whichever that's more convenient for them. More knowledge is always a valuable asset in life. The use of metric would be inevitable nowadays (it's the international system after all).

I'm more or less familiar with both scales and make use of both all the time. In my classes, some prof would give us conversions and equivalent equations in both scales so we can use when the units come up. I find that quite good.

Comment

As an civil engineering student, and someone who went from a SI country to an British Customary one, I'd say we might go metric very slowly.

Most engineering codes, standards and manuals are written in Imperial units (psi, lb, k-ft, hp...), and turning metric in a relatively short period of time would be a spectacular pain in the ass, costing industry and professional societies and institutes (ASCE, AISC, ACI, AWC...) fantastic amounts of money to make the seemingly endless conversions.

For me, as a layman, it'd be awesome if this country turned metric. As an engineer, it'd be the largest pain in the ass for me!!!

A Colombian guy moved by the winds of fate to St. Louis, MO

Comment

I remember reading a thing about customary units and it actually is based on something....I've since forgotten but it made quite a bit of sense actually

Comment

Working...
                X