Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The world running out of fossil fuels, not true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The world running out of fossil fuels, not true?

I heard from someone that the people who say we'll have burnt off all the fossil fuels in about 80 yrs. from today are talking bunch of sh*+, and that we won't be running out of gasoline any time soon. Is this true? (I hope it is)

I was under the impression that it was closer to fifty. The next few decades will be an important time as fusion, alternative fuel sources, and solar energy become more viable.

Comment

We will run out of fossil fuels, no doubt. It's just a question of when and how we can use gases like Methan. Though I doubt we will run out of fuels in 50 years already.

-Colin

Comment

This is very true and it a very serious subject. If we carry on burning oil at the current rate, taking in to account the known global reserves, there is around 45-50 years left. Current estimates will show oil consumption will carry on increasing so there may be even less than this left, unless alternatives can be found and EVERYONE minimises consumption.

Sorry if this sounds anti-american, but why is it Americans have to drive large cars with engines the size of trucks, averaging 15 MPG when everyone else around the world drives more sensible vehicles that can achieve over 35 MPG? You don't need a 5 or 6 litre engine with 6 or 8 cylinders to do 60 miles per hour down the motorway (sorry, freeway!). I get over 50 MPG from mine. George W needs to take a closer look at this problem and start doing something about it before its too late.

Darren
        Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Sometimes, you need that kind of displacement to tow heavy loads up and down mountains..... I agree with you tho..... car companies should look into what europe has..... alot of highly efficient Small Diesel motors..... the new jeep liberty comes with a tank full of Diesel, made of soy bean extract, and Its supposed to cut down on emmisions by alot..... ( exactly how many beans would It take to make a 19 gallon tank of diesel????)

Comment

I'm not saying you don't need that kind of engine size, I use a large 4x4 vehicle at work for towing boats and heavy loads myself, its those people who use them as every day cars and do not tow, go up mountains etc that I can't understand. 22% of vehicle in the the US are SUV's. If everyone used them to go up mountains, they'd be very busy at weekends! London and every other town in the UK is the same. People use large vehicles to take their kids to school when a smaller vehicle is far more practicle. I think its more a case of 'look at me, I'm very rich and important because I drive a 4x4', thats what its like in the UK anyway. They buy them as status symbols to show off to their neighbours rather than think about things in a wider context.

Darren
            Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazbo5
              I'm not saying you don't need that kind of engine size, I use a large 4x4 vehicle at work for towing boats and heavy loads myself, its those people who use them as every day cars and do not tow, go up mountains etc that I can't understand. 22% of vehicle in the the US are SUV's. If everyone used them to go up mountains, they'd be very busy at weekends! London and every other town in the UK is the same. People use large vehicles to take their kids to school when a smaller vehicle is far more practicle. I think its more a case of 'look at me, I'm very rich and important because I drive a 4x4', thats what its like in the UK anyway. They buy them as status symbols to show off to their neighbours rather than think about things in a wider context.

Darren
              Agreed on the status symbols. Of course those vary as well. I mean, Mercedes or BMWs are also considered status symbols, though most have an average fuel demand. A
              Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be diesel to be good. I'm currently driving an Opel Corsa that uses Premium Unleaded, but I manage to keep the fuel consumption at or below 8 liters, in city traffic, which is quite good, considering all the 30-km/h zones we have. Clearly shows fuel consumption is also a matter of how you drive. If you drive of with the 1st gear in up to 50km/h and then the 2nd up to 120, you can waste fuel big time.

-Colin

Comment

I think we will run out by 50 years, unless a good deal of new significant finds are made, but I have reservations about this as nothing has gushed out during the last 15 years or so. In the meantime, proven reserves in some producers have begun dwindling. I think next to go uranium on a large scale will be sea-transport when the technology currently on use for subs and aircraft carriers will become avialable for civies.
                Alain
                Thanks for visiting
                *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                *JetPhotos*
                Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

When the world does run out of fuels, what will happen to aviation? Surely it will live on...

(I know I posted another topic like this, but I'll ask again. )

Comment

Those sons of bitches that drive F-150s to school. Should hang those morons..
                    Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by mikecweb
                      Those sons of bitches that drive F-150s to school. Should hang those morons..
                      F-150s are fairly fuel efficient, depending on the engine size. My dad has driven them for 20+ years.
                      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

If I remember correctly from my science lessons, we will run out of oil in 50 years, Gas in 75 years, Nuclear power in 250 years...

Comment

Part of the car issue is that you can't get anywhere in the U.S. without a car. it is true that SUV's are wastes of everything, but in some applications they are practical. However the economy is not going to increase until the automakers realize that they won't be selling any cars when we run out of oil. However, another problem without oil is the relative inefficiency in it's extraction. The majority is not removed from the ground. Also a large part of the useable energy is lost in refinement. If the refinement process was more efficient and we could extract all of the oil instead of a small fraction of it, we would have oil for much longer. However the inefficiency of the process dooms us to depletion.

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                            F-150s are fairly fuel efficient, depending on the engine size. My dad has driven them for 20+ years.
                            Well mine gets about 13 miles to the gallon in mixed driving. But I don't mind because they are so much nicer to drive than a car.
                            Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

It amazes me that people like burning fossil fuels. I hate it. Sure, right now it's necessary to do so, but there's no reason we should put this issue on the backburner. get involved, buy a hybrid car (suv), vote to increase funding for alternative fuel research..

We need to anticipate the problem instead of procrastinating the problem...

Comment

Working...
                              X