Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The world running out of fossil fuels, not true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*cough Tree Hugger *cough
    Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
      It amazes me that people like burning fossil fuels. I hate it. Sure, right now it's necessary to do so, but there's no reason we should put this issue on the backburner. get involved, buy a hybrid car (suv), vote to increase funding for alternative fuel research..

We need to anticipate the problem instead of procrastinating the problem...
      Sentra...

Comment

Originally posted by JJR
        Sometimes, you need that kind of displacement to tow heavy loads up and down mountains..... I agree with you tho..... car companies should look into what europe has..... alot of highly efficient Small Diesel motors..... the new jeep liberty comes with a tank full of Diesel, made of soy bean extract, and Its supposed to cut down on emmisions by alot..... ( exactly how many beans would It take to make a 19 gallon tank of diesel????)

Well I don't mean to shock anybody, but my car has been running on old, used canola (rapeseed) oil from deep fryers since July of 2004. I have a few reataurants that supply me with their old oil (in fact they're happy that I'll take it, otherwise they'd have to pay for the disposal). I then take the oil and filter it. After it's filtered, I put it into a "jerry" can till I need to fuel up. When it's time to fill up, I pour the stuff into my car's tank, with about 20% regualr diesel and about 3-5% petroleum (kerosene). The petroleum brings down the oil's viscosity to roughly that of diesel's. It's important, cause vegetable oil has a fairly high viscosity, which makes it hard on injector pumps.

What I'm doing is not to be confused with "biodiesel". Biodiesel is 80% vegetable oil and 20% methanol (or ethanol) by volume and is turned into RME (rapeseed methyl esther) through a chemical process. I'm using a pure waste product and using it as a viable fuel.What I'm doing also does not work with newer diesel cars with high injection pressures.

The advantages of using used vegetable oil over diesel are:
        -price (it costs me about 20 cents per liter to fill up instead of 1.00 Euro for diesel)
        -less soot out of the tailpipe cause it cause the car runs leaner (due to the slightly lower BTU value of veggie oil)
        -no sulphur dioxide emissions (veggie oil contains no sulphur, while diesel does)
        -lower CO2 emissions
        -closed CO2 cycle (the CO2 that is emitted into the atmosphere during combustion is EQUAL to the amount of CO2 absorbed by the plants from which the oil is made)
        -no additional energy wasted on production (since it's 100% a waste product)
        -100% biodegradeable within a week of accidental spillage

Here are some disadvantages of using used veggie oil
        -a bit of a pain in the butt (timewise)
        -cold weather requires you to raise the proportion of viscosity-reducing additives (like diesel or petroleum)
        -requires you to carry extra fuel filters and tool to change them at all times (veggie oil is a mild solvent)
        -people tell you that your car smells like a deep fryer from behind
        -NOX (nitrous oxide) emissions slightly higher than with diesel (due to the leaner, thus hotter combustion temperatures)

I even made the papers with this (sorry, it's in German) :

Comment

and then you get guys driving 429 muscle cars

get 5-15 mpg and are more effecient in some ways... ie the old cars don't need replacing every 2-4 years like the new plastic ones do...

Comment

I saw somewhere that a US tank (I forget the exact type) averages 440 yards a gallon...
            Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Working...
            X