Microsoft to buy anti-virus maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft to buy anti-virus maker

Microsoft Corp. said on Tuesday it would buy anti-virus software maker Sybari Software Inc. in a direct challenge to Symantec Corp. and McAfee Inc., which currently dominate that market.

If Microsoft, the world's largest software maker, bundles anti-virus features into its Windows operating system, security software makers could feel the pressure, analysts said.

"Microsoft's acquisition of Sybari will get them into the (business) anti-virus market specializing in e-mail protection, a negative for Symantec and McAfee," said Sterling Auty, an analyst with JP Morgan.

McAfee shares were down 8.55 percent, or $2.24 to $23.72 in afternoon trade on the New York Stock Exchange. Symantec, which recently bought storage software company Veritas to diversify and reduce its dependence on security, was down 5.64 percent or $1.33 to $22.27 on the Nasdaq.

Mike Nash, vice president at Microsoft's security business unit, declined to say how much Microsoft paid for Sybari, but according to regulatory documents filed by the company in preparation for a public offering, Sybari had valued itself between $163 million and $182 million.

- The baby will be back -

Goes hand and hand with their purchase of Giant Software, who is the developer of Microsoft Anti-Spyware which is in the Beta stage right now (If you don't have it, get it; it finds stuff Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D miss.). Microsoft is really branching out because they need to in order to stay a leader in the software industry. Eventually, you will see a lot of new Microsoft branded applications preinstalled on you computer. Symantec may be the leader in the protection field, but their products are not the best on the market (I actually like Grisoft's AVG anti-virus program better than Norton) and have maintained their share due to their products being preinstalled on nearly all new computers. Microsoft will eventually be making computers if the rumors concerning the next-generation XBox consoles are true. Word is that the next-generation XBox will have a version that will be something along the lines of a media center console. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 5-10 years, computers and video game consoles are one and the same, with Microsoft and Sony leading the charge. I would even venture to think that H-P may end up teaming up with Microsoft or even Nintendo in order to maintain a presence in the market.

Comment

ewww...McAfee BLOWS

Next Flights -
      3/31/05 - SWA 2226- OAK/TUS
      4/2/05 - SWA 995 - TUS/OAK
      7/4/05 - UAL 346 - SFO/SEA
      7/11/05 - UAL 631 - SEA/SFO

Comment

Microshits next purches:

Google
        McAfee or Norton
        I could see yahoo

Hell, by 2030 they will have all the companys!
        -Kevin

Comment

I don't think microsoft would buy google...they've already sunk a lot of money into that MSN search.

Plus, google keeps branching out, email, picture editor, the hello chat thing, maps. Add all that to what most consider the best search engine on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodhound96
            I don't think microsoft would buy google...they've already sunk a lot of money into that MSN search.
            Which mind you sucks and doesnt work.
            -Kevin

Comment

Working...
            X