I have a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question.

I know this sounds like a troll question, but it isn't.

What happens if you put diesel in a gasoline vehicle? I know it tears up the engine, but has anyone ever experienced what will happen? Say you accidently put diesel in your vehicle, and don't remember it until the motor quits. Is it too late?

(Note: I have not put diesel in my vehicle or anything, I'm just bored and curious is all. )

Originally posted by GeneralSirDouglasMcArthur
    (Note: I have not put diesel in my vehicle or anything, I'm just bored and curious is all. )
    Don't lie

Comment

I believe the ignition flame temperature and pressure of a gasoline motor is not high enough to burn diesel so basically the car will make a weird noise and stop working. If you're lucky you can save the motor with a clean.

But I'm not really into car technics so I could be wrong.
      greetings,
      Philip

Comment

Deseil engines do not have spark plugs, they have glow plugs so putting deseil in a gasoline burning engine wouldent make it work at all, or at least for a while (say 1 minute?)
        -Kevin

Comment

In a somewhat related incident, I know someone who put the wrong kind of transmission fluid in their car. It made some interesting sounds, shudders, then wouldn't move at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
            In a somewhat related incident, I know someone who put the wrong kind of transmission fluid in their car. It made some interesting sounds, shudders, then wouldn't move at all.
            Yeah my uncle knows someone who had there transmission drop on the circ (circumfrentail highway).
            -Kevin

Comment

Depending on the blend of regular gasoline already in the tank and diesel fuel added, it may smoke like a mo-fo when driving down the road. If it runs at all.
              Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
              lp.org

Comment

Originally posted by Van Hoolio
                , it may smoke like a mo-fo when driving down the road. If it runs at all.
                Like when burning oil in your engine because you havent replaced the pistion rings.
                -Kevin

Comment

lol, when i was 10 and tried to fill my moms car up with gas, i accidentaly put in deisl in it. It was smoking like crazy, smelled like crap, and made sounds like the engine was fireing off a gun. We thought it was gonna blow so we got out of it and called a tow truck...so yes, it can mess up ur engine.
                  sigpic
                  http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

I can only answer this as far as aviation engines go, but they're more or less the same so I would assume it would be similar. If you put jet fuel (kerosene/diesel) into your plane, the densities are different so they eventually would seperate and you would have the 100 octane fuel on the bottom and the jet fuel on the top. Because it takes much more heat to ignite jet fuel, when you burn off all the rest of your 100 octane the engine will simply quit because your average recip engine doesn't run hot enough to burn the jet fuel. So I've been told.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                      I can only answer this as far as aviation engines go, but they're more or less the same so I would assume it would be similar. If you put jet fuel (kerosene/diesel) into your plane, the densities are different so they eventually would seperate and you would have the 100 octane fuel on the bottom and the jet fuel on the top. Because it takes much more heat to ignite jet fuel, when you burn off all the rest of your 100 octane the engine will simply quit because your average recip engine doesn't run hot enough to burn the jet fuel. So I've been told.
                      Same goes with desiel engines, desiel doesnt operate at 'respectible' performance in a petrol powerd engine.

The main differences between the gasoline engine and the diesel engine are:

* A gasoline engine intakes a mixture of gas and air, compresses it and ignites the mixture with a spark. A diesel engine takes in just air, compresses it and then injects fuel into the compressed air. The heat of the compressed air lights the fuel spontaneously.

* A gasoline engine compresses at a ratio of 8:1 to 12:1, while a diesel engine compresses at a ratio of 14:1 to as high as 25:1. The higher compression ratio of the diesel engine leads to better efficiency.

* Gasoline engines generally use either carburetion, in which the air and fuel is mixed long before the air enters the cylinder, or port fuel injection, in which the fuel is injected just prior to the intake stroke (outside the cylinder). Diesel engines use direct fuel injection -- the diesel fuel is injected directly into the cylinder.
                      Diesel engines differ from gasoline engines in important ways. See a diesel engine in action and learn the mechanics of how diesel engines intake and compress air.
                      -Kevin

Comment

Gotta love How Stuff Works

Comment

This one has happened on the Amazing Race - stupid contestants put the wrong kinda fuel in the engine and it just craps out

Gotta drain the entire thing

Comment

Like when my old man decided to put unleaded in a stupid diesel French car and we craped out about 200 miles from civilization. Fanf*ckingTastic. lol

Comment

Working...
                            X