Flight Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Training

Not sure which forum this should go in, so apologies if I've gotten it wrong!

I've been comparing costs of learning to fly in the USA, and the UK. The savings of learning in the USA are, quite frankly, ludicrous! Where exactly do the cost disparities come from? It's quite impressive!
    Last edited by Vertigo; 2005-02-11, 02:04.
    Hello, Hello...

I would be interested in the cost differences. Could you post both estimated figures for the countries.
    - The baby will be back -

Comment

Yeah, of course!

Complete JAA PPL in the states - $3,700
      In the UK - $14,000
      Last edited by Vertigo; 2005-02-11, 12:19.
      Hello, Hello...

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo
        Yeah, of course!

Complete JAA PPL in the states - $3,700
        In the UK - $14,000
        wow, now I think I'll come to the USA for my training

and it just so happens that I'm listening to Vertigo right now...

Comment

I know! It's crazy!
          Hello, Hello...

Comment

It's because the UK govt hate you
            I walked across an empty land
            I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
            I felt the earth beneath my feet
            Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

I dont know how correct the 3,7000 is for the PPL. It all depends on what you fly and how long it takes you. What a lot of schools do to try to draw more students is they calculate the "projected" price by the bare minimums required for the FAA (or in this case JAA). I'm not very familiar with how the JAA does things, but I would say an estimate of 5,000-9,000 would be more appropriate.

With that said though, I'm sure it is cheaper to fly in the US than most other places since GA is a lot more popular than anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                I dont know how correct the 3,7000 is for the PPL. It all depends on what you fly and how long it takes you. What a lot of schools do to try to draw more students is they calculate the "projected" price by the bare minimums required for the FAA (or in this case JAA). I'm not very familiar with how the JAA does things, but I would say an estimate of 5,000-9,000 would be more appropriate.

With that said though, I'm sure it is cheaper to fly in the US than most other places since GA is a lot more popular than anywhere else.
                Yeah, $3700 seemed a bit low to me too. I went to Princeton Airport the other day and checked out the price for a PPL at their flight school - it's a whopping $8000 + additional costs.
                "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

My bad - they've pegged it at $5,765

Still an enormous saving!!

I hope to travel to Orlando in the spring and qualify
                  Hello, Hello...

Comment

gas is a lot cheaper here in the US..

also, a few things to consider -- first, unless they *guarantee* they'll get you a PPL for a fixed amount, don't count on it. those amounts posted are not really a "real world" numbers. it's likely you'll need a few more hours than the legal minimum. also, get more info on the particular place you wanna use. pprune is a good place to start. you may want to check out "reviews" first before putting down any money. you'd be surprised what kinds of things you'll hear about these places (eg. rundown planes that are always broken etc..)

anyhow, good luck.. and either way, it'll be cheaper here... have fun!

Comment

Do americans/europeans get tax credits as well for flight training?

Writing off the flight time for your PPL (if you get a Commercial license) is a pretty decent deal here.

I wonder if one were to train abroad if they could still write it off here. Hrmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
                        Do americans/europeans get tax credits as well for flight training?

Writing off the flight time for your PPL (if you get a Commercial license) is a pretty decent deal here.

I wonder if one were to train abroad if they could still write it off here. Hrmm.
                        Uhhh...I don't think so? At least I don't!
                        Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Comment

Working...
                        X