Well, crap. NHL season cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, crap. NHL season cancelled

I guess I'm not surprised. But I was hoping there'd be some miracle or something. I don't know what I'll do this spring without the Stanley Cup playoffs.

The good news? SPRING TRAINING! GO CUBS!

If the players aren't going to realise where they stand in the sports world, good riddance to them. Sure, it's sad they're not playing but, theyre being stupid about this whole thing.

Comment

I say f**k'em, there's better hockey to be seen elsewhere. What is sad is that they got so close to striking a deal.

Comment

I'm not surprised. Just hope they don't cry their asses off when they get no viewership come next season.
        www.acairport.com

Comment

It was not surprising at all. During the last few days however, I felt that a deal was actually in reach for once. We now just have to wait for next season, if there is one.

Next year, the league is going to be in deep trouble as they will have a severely reduced fan base. Again, thats only if there is a next season.
          Fly Delta Jets!

Comment

I'm just tired of hearing all the "it is/isn't/is/isn't cancelled" speculation.

/glad it's decided
            /Dallas Stars fan
            Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Having heard about this crap every day since the season was supposed to start, I have nothing but a gigantic sigh of relief in hopes the media will STFU.

Comment

At least the canadian dollar should remain high because people are actually being productive

Comment

Some things to be on the lookout for:

1. NHL announces that the 2005-2006 season will take place with the CBA the owners wanted all along, and will be using replacement players (I'd expect the announcement to be made around August 1st).

2. The NHL players revolt against NHLPA Executive Director Bob Goodenow, NHLPA President Trevor Linden, and possibly the NHLPA Vice Presidents (Bob Boughner, Vincent Damphousse, Daniel Alfredsson, Bill Guerin, Trent Klatt and Arturs Irbe). A number of players will form a new PA and will cross the lines, others will quit the NHLPA and seek employment over in Europe..

3. The NHLPA tries to block the use of replacement players, but with a number of their members either bolted for a new PA and the NHLPA split into several factions, they don't get very far.

Barry "The Mullet" Melrose and Darren Pang were on Sportscenter and mentioned that Bob Goodenow's phone was busy all day with players trying to angerly reach him. Quite a few players are very unhappy, as they felt as though Goodenow and the NHLPA Executive Council kept many of the players in the dark throughout the lockout. Many of the decisions made by the NHLPA brass were more than what many player expected (Example is the Dec. 9 offer of a 24% pay cut; many players expected a 10% cut to be offered.)

As for replacement players, there are enough ex-NHLers not under NHL contracts playing in the various North American minor leagues and European leagues to not make it look like a joke. More than likely, the teams will be a mix of former NHL players and career minor leaguers that never played in the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by srbmod

2. The NHL players revolt against NHLPA Executive Director Bob Goodenow, NHLPA President Trevor Linden, and possibly the NHLPA Vice Presidents (Bob Boughner, Vincent Damphousse, Daniel Alfredsson, Bill Guerin, Trent Klatt and Arturs Irbe). A number of players will form a new PA and will cross the lines, others will quit the NHLPA and seek employment over in Europe..

Yeah, I would expect Goodnow to get fired over this, and I wouldn't be surprised to see if Bettman is in some hot water too. This is a huge disaster, and hockey will be see some hard times on the road ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by srbmod
                      Some things to be on the lookout for:

1. NHL announces that the 2005-2006 season will take place with the CBA the owners wanted all along, and will be using replacement players (I'd expect the announcement to be made around August 1st).
                      so what you're saying is that I should get back into shape?

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                        I say f**k'em, there's better hockey to be seen elsewhere. What is sad is that they got so close to striking a deal.
                        True, Lets go Cornell Big Red, Ranked 5th in the nation this week!!!

Comment

It draged on for WAY too long.
                          Thanks,
                          Michael

Comment

How about watching Minnesota!!! Go Gophs!!!!!

I'd rather watch College D1 anyday over NHL anyway. Its just better hockey.

Comment

Wow I didn't think anybody cared about the NHL. There is a lot of better hockey around town and I can actually afford to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X