Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I wrong?

Hello all,

I was at a bus stop waiting for the bus to go home. At the stop, I saw this man with an unmistakle muslim appearance and therefore at the first sight, I recognized him as a muslim.

Since he seemed a little confused I decided to help him out with bus routes etc. Then we boarded and sat together.

I introduced myself to him and vice versa. It turns out that he was headed to a job interview. Anyways, so I joked around in order to break the ice by asking whether he was enjoying the weather. And then from there on...

Through out the way, he kept on telling me how Canada was corrupt, and etc. He was saying that how people over here were bad and racist and how he had difficulties here finding a job. He was frustrated to the point that he had decided to do a job until he finds enough money to fly back home forever.

I tried to change his perspective telling him that Canada is a very orderly and disciplined country where you could live as a practicing muslim and still be prosperous while actively participating in the society. He just would not listen. So I decided to stay quiet in fear that he might cross the line and say something so terrible that people around will take a note (which I think they did).

But he would not shut up bad mouthing Canada about how there was no religious freedom etc. I felt that I should just say that my stop is here and get off quickly but since it was very cold, I did not wanted to wait for the next bus.

Then, towards half way, a bunch of teenager punks boarded and sat beside/behind us. They noticed him and what he kept on saying and started making fun of both us. I kept quiet and ignored and so did he. But when towards the end it got too much so I turned around, inspected visually all of them and told them not to disturb. But they would not listen. But my strange companion not only told them to stop or he would take them to jail, he got up and went to the bus driver to complain despite me telling him to ignore the punks as we were approaching the destination in a few seconds.

Anyways, the punks quietened down and all was well through out the way.
    But through out the way, I really wanted to hold him by the shoulders and give him a good shaking.

What was he expecting here in Canada? If you are to dress up like some middle eastern militant broadcasted on TV 24/7 and if you keep on telling that you want to go back and Canada is bad, I am sure nobody would hire him either in Canada nor in any muslim country around the globe for that matter. I was so disappointed in myself that I felt like punching my own face as I believed that it was not the punks' fault for misbehaving as it was that guy who provoked them with his mindless chatter.

Therefore, I decided no matter what, I am never ever going to be friendly with anybody just because they are muslim and I am a muslim. And I sincerely hope that he and people of his kind quickly find a way to go back to there own country before they get into trouble here in Canada which they do deserve. Not only can they not stop complaining, but when they get into trouble, they blame the society.

Am I wrong in my resolution?
    You only have one life...

Make wise decisions and live freely.

You are 100% correct in your decision. Just because someone shares one trait in common with you does not mean thay they are nice people. For example, the Hindu working for a visa to come to the US and the Hindu chucking bombs across the Indo-Pak border are completely different, like the way the Muslim working at an IT company in Cuppertino is different from rifle-clad warriors in Israel.

The same applies for skin colour, nationality, race, gender, sexual orientation, and so many other things.

Comment

It's too bad he feels that way. It is unbelieveable how people go on. Sometimes you want to tell them to get on the next boat home. There are lots of natural born people who don't speak highly of their country either. Maybe they should just try to live elsewhere, then they will see how good they have it.

Comment

Yea, just because someone is the same color or religion that you are doesn't mean that they are nice. I'm sure most people don't feel like he does though. Mabey he is just confused because the culture and language are different from where he came from and he does not have a good understanding, and has misunderstood some things, so he has gotten the idea that people in Canada 'dislike' muslims. Or mabey a few assholes such as the punks on the bus have given him the wrong impression too. From what I have seen though, his comments can't be further from the truth.

Comment

Well i don't meet a lot of Fellow Muslims here in PA, i agree with you on "If you are to dress up like some middle eastern militant broadcasted on TV 24/7 " i mean you should atleast dress up to go to an interview, not just go with a turbin and a "dothi" <----urdu term. If i do meet up with a muslim i try to talk to them but not too much, and i try to aviod these kinds of topics in public, as you do not know what they might say to get them selves in trouble and you along with them. Most of the Muslim people in this area are professional and already have good jobs, cars, etc... So they don't complain. But not all Muslims are so well off, so they complain, they are told in thier country that going USA or Canada will solve all your problems, but when they get here they have to work their asses off to make some money. Then they just blame the people in the country saying that they are racists,etc... Some people are, but most aren't. I try to mind my business in public and keep my opinions to myself.
          ***My Blog***

Comment

And that's why I shy away from public transportation - too much riff raff hanging around.

Oh, and you were right.

-Sturla

Comment

I cuncur AIC...Though i have not taken public Transportation ever.
              ***My Blog***

Comment

If I had the money/ I would not think twice before buying my own car and using it but that is not possible. I noticed however that if you keep quiet and mind your own business, your trip should be uneventful.

Comment

You can buy a car for $2000 not a good one of course. But you have to pay for insurance, gas, maintanence <---ALOT of money for that..and other stuff. Buying the car is easy, but the costs that come with it are a pain in the butt
                  ***My Blog***

Comment

Exactly,

A car in Canada can be bought for around $2000 CAD or even cheaper but then...

Add CAD $50.00 (minimum) for gas/month (assuming I don't use it for other purposeS).

Add CAD $160.00 for parking/month.

Add CAD $150.00 for insurance/month.

So in total, I would be spending something like CAD $360.00/month if I use my car for travelling to/from University.

In contrast, I spend around $90.00/month on transit.

Comment

I'd stick with Transit if i was ever in your postion..
                      ***My Blog***

Comment

Working...
                      X