Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

biggest cruise ship ever visits New Zealand!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biggest cruise ship ever visits New Zealand!

I read in the paper this morning that the 116,000 ton luxury liner Sapphire Princess was docked at Lyttelton, which is a harbour close to Christchurch City.

So i drove over to take a look and take some photos.

It's cool because it was the biggest man made moving object i have ever seen!

If anyone's Interested there is a bridge cam which refreshes every 60 seconds, I know i'll be looking at it over the next few days to see where it goes. The site is http://www.princess.com/ships/sa/ click on bridge cams

Where abouts do I need to go in Lyttelton to get to that spot?

Comment

I cant wait to see it this summer
      You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

I'll look on my map to get the roads name, It's packed in the harbour as well so it might take you a while to get there, i spose all the pax are walking around and theres a carnival thingee going on as well

Comment

Originally posted by Messerschmitt Man
          I'll look on my map to get the roads name, It's packed in the harbour as well so it might take you a while to get there, i spose all the pax are walking around and theres a carnival thingee going on as well
          Cool, fanks

Comment

bacically i went through the tunnel then once i was at lyttleton i headed east and up. I think i was in a side street just above Sumner road.

Comment

its docked at the container terminal

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not the biggest cruise ship.

The Queen Mary II is the World's Largest Cruise Liner.
                She is 151,400 tons.
                Check out Cruise Critic's expert review of the Cunard Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise ship for the best insider tips on deck plans, cabins, food, entertainment and more.

The "Voyager" class ships from Royal Caribbean lines are also larger at 138,000 tons.
                Check out Cruise Critic expert review of the Voyager of the Seas cruise ship for the best insider tips on deck plans, cabins, food, entertainment and more.
                Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                  Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not the biggest cruise ship.

The Queen Mary II is the World's Largest Cruise Liner.
                  She is 151,400 tons.
                  Check out Cruise Critic's expert review of the Cunard Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise ship for the best insider tips on deck plans, cabins, food, entertainment and more.

The "Voyager" class ships from Royal Caribbean lines are also larger at 138,000 tons.
                  http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/...cfm?ShipID=105
                  Come to think of it... isthe title "world's largest cruise ship" given by tonnage, length, displacement, or what standard?

Comment

Its the biggest cruise ship TO ever visit NZ, i just didn't get round to putting "to" in the title.

ATLcenter i'm no expert but i think the "world's largest cruise ship" is just that, full stop. Because if the largest ship has the biggest area, then it probably will weigh the most, and be the longest and widest for efficiency reasons etc. In other words everything more or less has to be in proportion, otherwise it's just not happening.

Comment

Then your grammar would have been incorrect, largest cruise ship to ever visits New Zealand .
                      Sam Rudge
                      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

allright allright you got me, i'll admit it, i was trying to make the title more exciting

Comment

A visiting cruise ship is always an event, so I personnally understand Messerschmidt Man enthusiasm over the calling of MS "Shappire Princess".
                          When in Nice in 1975/85, I always made the small excursion to Villefranche-sur-Mer to see the visiting ships. Unlike the 18 feet draugh restricted Nice, Villefranche can accomodate everything with a 45 feet+ draugh.
                          Alain
                          Thanks for visiting
                          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                          *JetPhotos*
                          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

That ship is massive, when it was in Sydney I took a ferry over to Milsons Point and only when you get right next to it do you realise how huge it is.

Matt
                            My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
                              Come to think of it... isthe title "world's largest cruise ship" given by tonnage, length, displacement, or what standard?
                              That's like the question "is the largest airline measured by fleet size, passengers boarded or number of departures?"

For ships I think the official factor is tonnage, but usually as the tonnage rises, the ship does end up being longer.
                              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Working...
                              X