iPod question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod question..

I was reading various reviews and articles about the Apple iPod, and I was thinking about getting a 6GB Mini.

All the reviews/artivles I've read though use iTunes. My question to the JP iPod people is, can Windows Explorer be used insted? Insted of using the Apple software, I'd like to just plug in the iPod and then drag/drop mp3 files or whole directories to the iPod. (As if it were another drive)

Thanks

I think you have to use iTunes, its a good piece of software anyways.
    - The baby will be back -

Comment

You need to use itunes, but it's a sweet piece of software and has quickly become my default music player on both my main pc and laptop. It plays most stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the quick answers

I haven't heard any complaints about newer versions of iTunes, but I just wondered incase the need ever came up.

Anapod Explorer looks interesting, I'd give the trial a run when I actually get the iPod.

The biggest decision I have left is the smaller Mini iPod that is more the size and shape I'd like to have for ~$350, or the 20gb iPod that has more space for ~$400.

Comment

you must use itunes... you can use explorer, but it uses a strange file system that is imposible to work out... the only other program i know of is FOOBAR(which i use)... though you have to get a plug in...
          ^----raveing lunatic

please excuse my horendus mangeling of the english language, its only my first :P

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
            ...20gb...
            I dont know ANYONE who needs 20 gigs of music... I only need 1g and that'll keep me happy for a few hours, which is the longest period of time I've ever listened to music.

Comment

schuyler: Thnx, I'll look into that program as well.

I really just like screwing around with things. Like my cell phone, it worked great the way it was retail, but I HAD to get a data cable and edit the software/scripts on it If I didn't toy with electronic gadgets, I'd lose sleep at night over it. I'm a nerd.

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
              I dont know ANYONE who needs 20 gigs of music... I only need 1g and that'll keep me happy for a few hours, which is the longest period of time I've ever listened to music.
              Yeah, especially since you I wouldn't NEED a really high bit rate just for going running/gym/other odd times I'd use it.

What I do like about the larger capacities is the amount of different play lists that could be stored. If I didn't feel like the first 10, I could move on to another. That would spend less time playing with the PC loading the iPod up.

Comment

I really like my Dell version of the Ipod
                You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Yeah, why would you need a 40gb for music? As a portable hard drive maybe but I only have 1.48gb of music and that's about 1 day of solid music...

Comment

"Waht the hell would I do with all that space" is one of the reasons I don't just get one. Maybe if I actually bought downloaded music, but I wouldn't be doing that. I prefer an actual silver cd over downloaded content, even it its a few dollars more.

I never thought of looking into those Dell or HP ones. Are they the same as an Apple one with different branding? Time to hit up google again!

Comment

no, they are compleatly different players... sometinges even more hevily DRM'ed than the ipod
                      ^----raveing lunatic

please excuse my horendus mangeling of the english language, its only my first :P

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Air Rules
                        I really like my Dell version of the Ipod
                        I got a Dell too- wish it had a clickwheel like the iPods though- much faster than the scrolling tumbler thing.
                        Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Comment

I hope DRM wouldn't be an issue, at least not much of one. The only thing thats going on to the iPod would be copies of CDs I have here. In most cases already MP3'd as it's easier to load a CD in WinAmp off the HD than it is to go get the CD.

The HP iPod seems to be the same. I haven't looked at Dells yet. HP's just came first in my searching. Co-Branded 4th generation iPod..

"From our perspective, there's certainly no reason for the typical PC user to prefer an Apple-branded iPod over a HP-branded one; Hewlett-Packard's iPod+hp is functionally identical, has only insignificant physical differences on its rear casing, frequently sells at a lower price and includes better warranty and support coverage than Apple's own iPod."

(iPodLounge)

I'll focus on finding out more about the Dell one now I guess

Edit: Is it the "Dell Digital Jukebox"? (Dell MP3 Players)

Comment

I hope DRM wouldn't be an issue, at least not much of one. The only thing thats going on to the iPod would be copies of CDs I have here. In most cases already MP3'd as it's easier to load a CD in WinAmp off the HD than it is to go get the CD.

The HP iPod seems to be the same. I haven't looked at Dells yet. HP's just came first in my searching. Co-Branded 4th generation iPod..

"From our perspective, there's certainly no reason for the typical PC user to prefer an Apple-branded iPod over a HP-branded one; Hewlett-Packard's iPod+hp is functionally identical, has only insignificant physical differences on its rear casing, frequently sells at a lower price and includes better warranty and support coverage than Apple's own iPod."

(iPodLounge)

The HP iPod is the exact same thing, besides the HP logo on the back. Also, if you buy the HP one you can't get the Applecare service warranty deal.
                            - The baby will be back -

Comment

(iPodLounge)

Yeah, its the Dell Digital Jukebox
                              You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Working...
                              X