Supreme Court Bars Death Penalty for Juvenile Killers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court Bars Death Penalty for Juvenile Killers

The Supreme Court ruled today, in one of the most closely watched capital punishment cases in years, that imposing the death penalty on convicted murderers who were younger than 18 at the time of their crimes is unconstitutional.

The 5-to-4 decision, arising from a Missouri case, holds that executing young killers violates "the evolving standards of decency that mark the progress of a maturing society," and that American society has come to regard juveniles as less culpable than adult criminals.

The ruling, which acknowledged "the overwhelming weight of international opinion against the juvenile death penalty," erases the death sentences imposed on about 70 defendants who were juveniles at the time they killed. Although 19 states nominally permit the execution of juvenile murderers, only Texas, Virginia and Oklahoma have executed any in the past decade.

The case decided today had attracted attention around the world. Briefs on behalf of the young Missouri killer, Christopher Simmons, had been filed by the European Union, the 45-member Council of Europe and other organizations. A brief filed by former United Nations diplomats asserted that the United States' failure to repudiate the execution of juveniles was an irritant in international relations.

Until today, the United States and Somalia were the only nations that permitted putting teenage criminals to death. The court's ruling today held that, while the "overwhelming weight of international opinion" was not controlling, it nevertheless provided "respected and significant confirmation" for the majority's finding.

- The baby will be back -

I think if you kill someone you should be killed back in the same manner, whatever that may be

Comment

I dont think 12 year olds should get the death penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
        I dont think 12 year olds should get the death penalty.
        No state in the U.S. had the death penalty for 12 year olds. It was for murders 16 or 17 at the times of their crimes but due to the insanely long appeals process, none would be under 18 by the time sentence would be carried out.

What we have is the usual case of 5 black robed tyrants lead by Anthony "Sodomy is a Constitutional Right" Kennedy have decided to arbitrary rewrite the law for no other reason than their own person whim. And to makes matters worse, the traitors are citing "international law" (translation: EU & UN opinions) when making their decisions. All 5 (and add O'Connor too for some of her opinions) should be impeached and thrown out of office for violating their oath. They swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States, not some dumbass ruling from an EU court or a UN organization.

Comment

Originally posted by N776AU
          I think if you kill someone you should be killed back in the same manner, whatever that may be
          So do two wrongs make a right?

These guys are abviously mental. They should be kept away, in confinment, not allowed to see anyone, then throne in a jail cell only fed bread and water for the rest of there days, god I wish corpral punishment and jail puishment was back.
          -Kevin

Comment

Agreed, ACMan...

Two wrongs don't make a right, and the government shouldn't have the right to legally murder children. Solitary confinement for life is actually argueable worse than the death penalty.

I applaud this decision, even though it was close...5-4 is pretty dangerous!

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
              So do two wrongs make a right?

These guys are abviously mental. They should be kept away, in confinment, not allowed to see anyone, then throne in a jail cell only fed bread and water for the rest of there days, god I wish corpral punishment and jail puishment was back.
              Death rather than jail time is perhaps more humane. Jail ain't a walk in the park, especially for a juvenile.

Comment

A life is a life. I think murder, be it abortion, death penalty, suicide or the more traditional methods is horrible and should be illegal. I don't think any human has the right to kill another human unless it is to save their own life if it is IMEADIATE danger.
                THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
                Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                  Death rather than jail time is perhaps more humane. Jail ain't a walk in the park, especially for a juvenile.
                  Well how will they learn that they did bad if there dead? they wont care that there gonna die, they would care if they would be locked up in a cold wet jail cell for the rest of there life.
                  -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
                    Well how will they learn that they did bad if there dead? they wont care that there gonna die, they would care if they would be locked up in a cold wet jail cell for the rest of there life.
                    Thats what I say and feel, but if someone killed one of my friends or family members, i'd want to see him die.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
                      Normally I'd agree, but in the case of jouvenilles, a more psychological punisment would have the best effect on the person
                      perhaps but if murder was what they set out to do then there is no excuse for it

Comment

Originally posted by wannabepilot777
                        A life is a life. I think murder, be it abortion, death penalty, suicide or the more traditional methods is horrible and should be illegal. I don't think any human has the right to kill another human unless it is to save their own life if it is IMEADIATE danger.
                        Abortion in most cases is hardly murder, but whatever. The rest of what you said I pretty much agree with.
                        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
                          Abortion in most cases is hardly murder, but whatever. The rest of what you said I pretty much agree with.
                          That all depends on how you define a human. I say you are a human when the 2 gametes bond to create a complelty unique organism/cell, but that is for another discussion.
                          THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
                          Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                          George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Working...
                          X