Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aic1985
    replied
    Fundamentalism in modern sense is not necessarily tied to the religion solely.

For example, no where in Quran or other prominent Islamic literature does it mention that non muslims should be killed for not believing in the same religion or beliefs nor does it say anywhere that military agression is the solution. In fact there is a well known example that when Prophet Muhammed SAWW used to walk down some street, there was house there in which lived a hardliner old lady who threw garbage at our prophet SAWW. But one day, she was not there, he (our prophet) became worried and went to see what was wrong with the lady. He found her to be sick. So you see, even our Prophet Muhammed SAWW wanted us to make peace always. In one other example, he was quoted saying that his least favorite item was the 'sword'. He was a man of peace and wanted us all human beings to be peaceful.

But if you take a religion and gather, say in a country where millions are poor and uneducated, you can, with proper methods, essentialy brainwash people in to believing what you want them to think.

Fundamentalism is just a nick name for political propaganda and nothing more. The leaders of the so called 'fundamentalist' countries play around with the nerves and emotions of their citizens which leads to massive brainwashing. This is so because the using of humans as weapons and spending them during bad times to acheive political means is much more cheaper than to educate them and to nurture them.

One leading misconception in today's society is that fundamentalism is only associated with certain religion(s). In fact, fundametalism does not require a person to be a part of any faith. A person can be an atheist (not believe in any religion) yet hold such strong, radical views that he or she can still be classified as a fundamentalist. For example, a citizen of a country which is engaged in warfare with another country can essentially brainwash that citizen into literally believing without any justification that the enemy is bad and that the innocent citizens of that country must be punished.

Leave a comment:

• PIAA310
    replied
    Thanks for your position on this topic guys! This will help me out alot!

Leave a comment:

• herpa2003
    replied
    Originally posted by Airbus_A320
    Alright, you asked for it!!!

/lamehumor

I really need to get Photoshop!

Leave a comment:

• AC_A340-500
    replied
    Originally posted by herpa2003
    I think Islamic fundamentalism, or any fundamentalism for that matter, is a serious threat...

I agree. Look what Fundamentalist Judaism has done to the peace process in the Palistine/Israel area. The murder of Rabin and the uncomprimising belief that owning a region is a God-given right (like many of the settlers seem to believe). Interestingly, many Jewish fundamentalists are tuning their backs on their old buddy Sharon, even going so far as to calling his actions "Shoah".

'Nuff said about fundamentalism, regardless of which religion...

Leave a comment:

• Leftseat86
    replied
    Originally posted by Airbus_A320

/lamehumor

And for once I actually agreed with everything he said...lol

Leave a comment:

• Airbus_A320
    replied
    Originally posted by herpa2003
    That is my opinion, and if you disagree, flame away...

/lamehumor

Leave a comment:

• avro_arrow_25206
    replied
    fun·da·men·tal·ism Pronunciation Key (fnd-mntl-zm)
    n.

1. A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.
    1. often Fundamentalism An organized, militant Evangelical movement originating in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th century in opposition to Protestant Liberalism and secularism, insisting on the inerrancy of Scripture.
    2. Adherence to the theology of this movement.

~~~~~~~`
    I think it is a good thing that people want to return to the basic principles of their religion. Christianity, for example, in some way, has become such a consumerism spectacle that real meanings of festivals such as Christmas and Easter are lost.
    However, being a "fundamentalist" shouldn't also mean "intolerance of other views", and certainly not any act of violence against others just because people think their religion is the true one. If one looks at the broad picture of all the religions in the world, they all teach basically the same things such as treat each other with respect and assist others in need etc.

Leave a comment:

• herpa2003
    replied
    I think Islamic fundamentalism, or any fundamentalism for that matter, is a serious threat to this country. But since your paper is on Islamic fundamentalism, I will devote most of my response to that.

99.99% of Muslims in America are decent, hard-working, average people. However, a select few despise this country and what it stands for. They despise the religious freedom of this country as well as other aspects. Many also are angry at the government because they believe the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as the situation in Israel, are "wars against Islam". This twisted logic gives them the audacity to kill without compassion.

What can we do about it? I know I'm going to take a lot of flack here...

We need to keep up our increased surveillance of Mosques and Islamic Centers in cities. The NYPD has been doing a great job of this as is evident in their thwarting of a plot to bomb a NYC subway station in late 2004. We also need to reach out to the Muslim community and have them act as eyes and ears for us. Tell them to report any suspicious or anti-American rederick being spewed anywhere. And, we need to treat Muslims in the USA with kindness and understanding, not with apprehension and fear. The more they love America and its people, the more likely they will be to help us out.

That is my opinion, and if you disagree, flame away...

Leave a comment:

• Airbus_A320
    replied
    If people want to be fundamentalist thats their business. I think it's foolish to devote that much to religion, but it's not up to me to decide for others. But I hate anyone who kills others in the name of "god", don't care what religion they are. I also would dislike living under any government ruled by fundamentalist religious guidelines (no matter what religion). People should be free to choose religion for themselves if they want it, and not have it forced down their throats. Fundamentalism is fundamentalism, every religion has it, not just Islam.

Leave a comment:

• schuyler
    replied
    hay, you stoll my sig :P

anywhay... i dont think this particular view isnt that extreme, so ill post it here

i personaly find islamic fundementalism to be essentaly the islamic version of the KKK... its not reprasentative of the rest of the religion, though you can transition over from one side to the other withought drastically changeing your core belifes... i also find that what has pushed many people over this line into funementalism are the tough circumstances that people in prodomanantly muslim nations are thrust into... the more econamically sucure a people are the less funamentalism there is(or religion in general)... anywhay, just my $.02

Leave a comment:

• c72
    replied
    I would suggest you submit your opinions to him via private email, don't need anything to get out of hand here.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• PIAA310
    started a topic Islamic Fundementalism

Islamic Fundementalism

Hello guys, i have to do an english paper on this issue. (has to be atleast 6 pages) and i need to include what other people think about this issue and what we should do about it. Please tell me what you think about this issue..This would be a BIG help!
    Thanks
Working...
X