Formula 1!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula 1!!

YEAH! it started again today, and i'm totally hooked on it!
    Today's race was in Australia, Melbourne...i'm a big Michael Schumacher fan, so today wasn't realy my race, he got knocked out by Nick Heidfeld....
    the chair-dance has started since the last race of the last season, so there's quite a lot seat changing....i'll give some team info:

Ferrari:
    Michael Schumacher(Germany)
    Rubens. Barrichello(Brazil)

BAR Honda
    Jenson Button(Brittain)
    Takuma Sato(Japan)

Renault:
    Fernando Alonso
    Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy)

Williams
    Mark Webber(australia)
    Nick Heidfeld(germany)

McLaren
    Kimi Raikonnen(Finland)
    Juan Pablo Montoya(Colombia)

Sauber
    Jacques Villeneuve(Canada)
    Felipe Massa(Brazil)

RBR(Red Bull Racing)
    David Coulthard(scotland)
    Christian Klien(austria)

Toyota
    Ralf Schumacher(Germany)
    Jarno Trulli(Italy)

Jordan
    Narain Karthikeyan(new, first indian ever to drive F1)
    Tiago Monteiro(new)

Minardi
    Christijan Albers (new, Dutchie )
    Patrick Friesacher(new, Austria)

Some new rules:

A number of changes to both the Sporting and Technical Regulations have been made by the FIA for the 2005 Formula One season.

Qualifying
    The 2005 race weekend will feature one qualifying session on Saturday afternoon and another on Sunday morning.

The first session will run from 1300 to 1400 on Saturday and will, as in 2004, be single lap qualifying, with the cars going out in the reverse order of their finishing positions at the previous race.

The second session, from 1000 to 1100 on Sunday, will also use the single lap format, with the cars going out in the reverse order of the qualifying on Saturday (i.e. the fastest car on Saturday runs last on Sunday).

The cars will run on Saturday with unrestricted fuel. They will then go into parc ferme after this qualifying session and for the Sunday qualifying session they will run with race fuel, having been allowed to refuel before the second qualifying session. They will not be allowed to refuel again before the race starts.

The times of the two sessions will be aggregated to determine the grid, with the shortest aggregate time in pole position.

Tyres
    Drivers will have access to far fewer tyres in 2005 and will have to make a single set last through both qualifying sessions and the entire race. A tyre can only be changed during this time if it is punctured or damaged.

On Fridays, drivers will be able to test two different dry tyre compounds. Ahead of Saturday practice they must choose one of these for the remainder of the weekend. They will then be allocated three sets of this compound – one will be used in practice, one in qualifying and the race, and one kept in reserve in case of punctures or accident damage.

These changes will require harder compounds than in 2004 and will force drivers to drive with tyre preservation in mind. The knock-on effects will be slower lap times and much-revised race strategies.

Drivers will also have access to wet and extreme-weather tyres. These can only be used when the track is declared wet by the race director.

Engines
    In 2004 engines had to last one race weekend. From 2005 they must last two – equivalent to a distance of around 1,500 kilometres (close to 1000 miles). If a driver requires an engine change ahead of qualifying, he will drop ten places on the grid for that race. If an engine is changed between the start of qualifying and the race the driver will be put to the back of the grid.

In both instances the driver concerned must use his new engine for the remainder of that meeting and the entire following grand prix weekend. If a driver fails to finish a race, he may start the next meeting with a new engine without penalty.

With even greater reliability required from the engines, these changes are likely to cut rev limits and power outputs, hence reducing car performance.

Aerodynamics
    Aerodynamic regulations have been dramatically revised in a bid to reduce downforce and hence cut performance. The key changes are a higher nose and front wing section, a changed rear diffuser profile, and the bringing forward of the rear wing structure.

Initial estimates suggest that the changes could cut downforce by as much as 25 percent over 2004. Designers are likely to claw much of this back as their 2005 machines evolve, but slower laps times and trickier-handling cars would seem inevitable.

and the race report:

With Fernando Alonso speeding through from 13th on the grid to third it was indeed a great day for the blue team, but Ferrari did not go away altogether empty-handed as Rubens Barrichello took a strong second place.

Fisichella leaped into the lead at the start from Jarno Trulli, but behind them David Coulthard created a fabulous opportunity for Red Bull by diving down inside Mark Webber to snatch third place. Further back Jacques Villeneuve was slow away and was passed on the outside by Nick Heidfeld, and later in Turn Three by Christian Klien.

At the end of the lap Fisichella had a 1.4s lead over Trulli, with Coulthard leading Webber, Heidfeld, Klien, Montoya, Barrichello, Villeneuve, Alonso, Button, Ralf Schumacher, Massa, Sato, Michael Schumacher, Raikkonen (who had stalled at the original start and taken the restart from the pit lane), Karthikeyan, Monteiro, Friesacher and Albers.

For the next 16 laps that was the order, though on lap seven Alonso had jumped by Villeneuve only to be repassed immediately when he ran wide. It was difficult to know whether this was because everyone was biding their time, conserving their tyres, or because they genuinely could not overtake round Albert Park. But it is probably safe to assume that neither Schumacher nor Raikkonen would happily have run for so long in 15th and 16th places!

As Fisichella pulled away from Trulli, Coulthard contained Webber and Heidfeld held off Klien, Montoya and Barrichello. Then there was a gap as Villeneuve bottled up Alonso, with Button some way back, ahead of Ralf, and Massa, on a single-stop strategy, holding off Sato, Schumacher and Raikkonen.

Trulli and Heidfeld were the first to refuel, on lap 18, followed by Webber and Klien on lap 20, Coulthard and Button on 21, Villeneuve on 22, and then Fisichella and Montoya on 23. Barrichello assumed the lead at this point, before stopping on lap 25, and because of the gap between them Schumacher was able to stop that same lap without risk of congestion in the Ferrari pit.

Up front Fisichella was having no problem maintaining his lead, but Barrichello’s long run had helped him into the fight for podium contention, chasing along behind the Coulthard/Webber battle and ahead of Montoya. Further back, Alonso had finally got rid of Villeneuve and was on a charge, but Schumacher was completely unable to do anything once Raikkonen had passed him during their stops and seemed detuned.

The next round of stops started with Trulli on lap 36, and saw Alonso lead for a time when Fisichella pitted on lap 42. By this time Raikkonen was losing ground after his right-hand barge board bent back and caused his Mercedes engine to overheat; during his lap 39 stop the offending aerodynamic aid was removed. On lap 40 Klien got a new nose, having tapped the back of Friesacher’s Minardi while lapping it on lap 16.

As Alonso led Fisichella in a Renault 1-2 on lap 43 the first major drama occurred. Schumacher had brought his Ferrari into the pits the previous lap, and rejoined just ahead of Heidfeld. As they pounded down to Turn Three the younger German pulled up on the inside of the Ferrari, only for Schumacher to move over on him and put him on to the grass. As they arrived at the corner Heidfeld was unable to brake properly and they touched. The Williams was an immediate retirement, and Schumacher trailed slowly to the pits to retire. It was a disastrous start to his world championship defence.

With the new tyre regulations it was expected that the last section of the race would come alive, as drivers who had nursed their tyres really began to push. After the stops Barrichello had moved up to second place ahead of Alonso, with Coulthard and Webber now fighting for fourth. This was when Barrichello really got the hammer down, reducing Fisichella’s lead from 12.4s on lap 47 to 5.5s by lap 54. At the same time the Brazilian had Alonso doing something similar to him. But when it mattered, Fisichella had everything under complete control and was finally able to confirm his true talent with a superb victory.

“Brazil 2003 was my first,” he said afterwards, “but this is the best day of my racing life. The car was fantastic and so were the tyres, and I am so pleased to deliver this result for Renault.”

Behind the top three Coulthard held on for a brilliant fourth for Red Bull, whose cup was filled as Klien brought the sister RB01 home seventh, holding off Raikkonen by just over half a second. Between them, Webber equalled his previous best result, with Minardi here in 2002, and Montoya scored McLaren points with sixth.

Massa just failed to catch a disappointed Trulli for ninth at the end, while Button and Sato were very unhappy with 11th and 14th places respectively for BAR. Ralf Schumacher got going after some mechanical problems hampered his Toyota early on, making up ground to finish 12th, Villeneuve was 13th and Narain Karthikeyan was the best of the rookies in 15th place after a solid drive for Jordan. Team mate Tiago Monteiro had one spin on his way to 16th, and after Albers’ retirement on lap 17, Friesacher was the final finisher in 17th, for Minardi.

Up and down the pit lane there was universal pleasure for Fisichella, who has for so long been underrated, and his victory got the 2005 championship off to a great start.

this is the longest thread i EVER had ]
    oh...i'll bump this topic every 2 weeks with the report of every race
    Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
    - Metzgermeister

Originally posted by MaDbOy
    i'm a big Michael Schumacher fan, so today wasn't realy my race, he got knocked out by Nick Heidfeld....
    umm... i think its more accurate to say that Heidfeld got knocked out by Schumacher. Michael cut him onto the grass and was hit becauase Heidfeld didn't have any traction to stop on the grass. Schumacher sealed his own fate in that race by pulling that move.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_333
      umm... i think its more accurate to say that Heidfeld got knocked out by Schumacher. Michael cut him onto the grass and was hit becauase Heidfeld didn't have any traction to stop on the grass. Schumacher sealed his own fate in that race by pulling that move.
      well....Schumacher had the right to defend gis line when he overtook heidfeld, I agree it's a bit of a dodgy move, but Heidfeld is long enough in the bussines to know Schumacher would pull that trick
      - Metzgermeister

Comment

Well, what can I say, the qualification gets complicated and worse every single year. I mean, have you seen M. Schumacher's luck in training #2, when the rain was literally flooding the track? Qualification is just a lottery now. Like the starting line-up. I mean Coulthard and Klien in front of Raikkönen and Schumacher? But the FIA will come up with any ridiculuous rule out there to keep Schumi from getting title #8. That's the only thing those rules were made for.

Comment

I am really surprised by the Red Bull team results!
          greetings,
          Philip

Comment

These new regulations have some points of interest
            - one set of tyres for qualification runs and race
            - one same engine for 2 Grand Prix.
            Best pilots also become the one who neatly manage their cars.
            Should not be a problem for Schumi.
            Should also get the races tastier.
            Expect Renault to become more agressive as forthcoming CEO Carlos Ghosn personally bluntly warned the team managers with a "Des Victoires ou la porte" (Victories or exit). Known as "Le killer", and with the successful restructurings of Michelin US subsisdiary and Nissan Motors in his résumé, Carlos Ghosn will also retain the position of Nissan CEO.
            Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
              But the FIA will come up with any ridiculuous rule out there to keep Schumi from getting title #8. That's the only thing those rules were made for.
              couldn't do more than agree....it will be more exciting now..a battle up to China, don't get me wrong as a big Schumi fan, but last year became b0ring after he won the title....

- one set of tyres for qualification runs and race
              yep........means that when your tyre is a square, you're faq'd

- one same engine for 2 Grand Prix.
              what's next?....tractor racing?....the sport is now more about money thab the race self
              - Metzgermeister

Comment

I was talking with one of my friends last night, and he thinks that Schumacher pulled out willfully. He could've finished the race but he/team decided there's probably not much to gain, so they pulled out to get a new engine for next race.

Man, it's getting too political here

~~~~~~`
                FIA's new rule for 2006 "All cars must have turn signals. All drivers must signal before passing, or else be penalized with a stop and go"

Comment

It's all stupid rules, but with loopholes. Have you seen what BAR did? Both cars went into the box during the last round, meaning they were classified as having had an accident, meaning in the next race they can use new engines. That's so damn faq'ed up.

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
                    GO BUTTON!!!

Kev, you know f**k all about motoracing

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by philip
                      I am really surprised by the Red Bull team results!
                      they've worked hard over the off season, found another 25hp in the engine also! but i still believe Renault will have a strong season, the aspirated RS25 V10 engine is one of the best on the track, it's powerful and they have a great driver in Fernando Alonso and a great up n comer in Fisichella, should be a great season!

as for Heidfeld and Schumacher, Schumacher clearly cut his line off causing the bump, Heidfeld could have got past on braking but Schumacher pushed him to the grass, so Schumacher rightly ended up out of the race.

have to remember that Ferrari is still testing the 2005 car in Italy, they might want to get it out asap.

next trips
                      USA/DXB August.

Comment

Originally posted by Longreach747
                        they've worked hard over the off season, found another 25hp in the engine also! but i still believe Renault will have a strong season, the aspirated RS25 V10 engine is one of the best on the track, it's powerful and they have a great driver in Fernando Alonso and a great up n comer in Fisichella, should be a great season!
                        heck, Renault has the best launch control so far, even Jos Verstappen couldn't beat it.
                        atleast we agree, it's gonna be an exciting season!
                        - Metzgermeister

Comment

Originally posted by MaDbOy
                          heck, Renault has the best launch control so far, even Jos Verstappen couldn't beat it.
                          atleast we agree, it's gonna be an exciting season!
                          Renault has always had great engines, the V10 RS series is widely regarded as the best ever made in F1, 70 degree V opposed to others with the 90 degree V gives it more staying power! it's a strong engine, they have a strong team with no outside ties now also, so i think that they will give Ferrari the most trouble.

next trips
                          USA/DXB August.

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk

Twat...!
                            You're a what?....
                            Last edited by kaddyuk; 2005-03-08, 00:37.

Comment

Having the F1 in MEL is all good, but who's interested in the cars?? Thsi is what we watch for!!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X