Bill Gates knighted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Gates knighted

The Queen has named Bill Gates as Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire -- honorary.

Because Mr Gates isn't part of the empire, he can't be "Sir Bill" -- but he does get to append KBE to his name, initials recognised and prized around the world.

BusinessWeek said Mr Gates received the honour in recognition of both his business leadership and his philanthropy through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which has a $US28.8 billion endowment and has given away nearly $IS7.5 billion in grant commitments to health and education initiatives around the world.

The magazine noted Mr Gates "may not look like Lancelot. But he's every bit the warrior."

In becoming an honorary KBE, Mr Gates joins former US president Ronald Reagan and Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan, rarified company in the colonies.

The National Business Review Online is New Zealand's authority in breaking business news and analysis.
    - The baby will be back -

I couldent think of anyone more desearving!

Comment

Congrats, he deserves it
      You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Bill Gates..hmm

Whether or not he deserves is up for grabs, but I doubt he'll add 'KBE' to his name when writing/signing things.

Comment

Oh god.......and theres me thinking it couldn't get any worse. What a mockery having a "knighthood" has become. Very sad.

Comment

Look out for special edition Microsoft KBE Windows in stores near you!

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
              Oh god.......and theres me thinking it couldn't get any worse. What a mockery having a "knighthood" has become. Very sad.
              Couldent have said it better myself, why knight a thief?
              -Kevin

Comment

He runs a f*cking computer company for god sake......hey i think Mr Jerry's who runs the shop down the road from me is about up for a Knighthood if there dishing them out

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                  He runs a f*cking computer company for god sake......hey i think Mr Jerry's who runs the shop down the road from me is about up for a Knighthood if there dishing them out
                  You forgot to read Dan...

BusinessWeek said Mr Gates received the honour in recognition of both his business leadership and his philanthropy through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which has a $US28.8 billion endowment and has given away nearly $IS7.5 billion in grant commitments to health and education initiatives around the world.
                  "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

He's invested a lot of money in HIV/Aids.
                    - The baby will be back -

Comment

Well, good for him but I dont really think it means much.
                      Thanks,
                      Michael

Comment

Originally posted by babypurin
                        He's invested a lot of money in HIV/Aids.
                        Might wanna add "prevention" or "research" otherwise it sounds a little wierd

Comment

looks like theres some very envious people around here. He's a very intelligent person, who's worked very hard to get where he is. How anyone can bring him down for his achievements is beyond me.

Comment

I wonder when I'm gonna be knighted

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                              I wonder when I'm gonna be knighted
                              I have an opening tomorrow at noon, does that work for you?

Comment

Working...
                              X