No announcement yet.

Should Kids Be Forced To Go To Church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Kids Be Forced To Go To Church?

I'm 15 and my mom is still forcing me to go to church. I tell her I have a mind of my own and can make my own decisions about it. She starts giving me this "you have to go for Confirmation" BS and when that doesn't work, she stoops down to the "go for me" and when that doesn't work, "you don't go to church, you don't go flying." I mean, after that, what the hell am I supposed to do?

I'm sick and tired of putting up with her shit. Somebody help me.

It is a real shame you don't want to go, but you shouldn't be confirmed if you don't belive what you are telling everyone you belive when you get confirmed.
    THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
    Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
    George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Mom's are there to help you, support you, right? so if your mom wants you to go, and you say no, she must respect that.
      Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
      - Metzgermeister

Comment

Under 18 u do what ur parents tell u to.
        Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

While I think you should only go to church and follow a religion if you truly believe in it, as Mike said...under 18 there aint much you can do. It sucks...but thats the way it is.

Comment

It's only like an hour, anyways. My mom made me to go today, so I just went and stood there. She only makes me go around Easter time anyways. Nobody made me go through all the confirmation stuff and whatever, fortunatly. I don't really believe in any religion personally, what you believe yourself is all that really matters, not what someone tells you or doesn't tell you to do. I just find it kinda annoying how religions talk about being pure, humble and peaceful, ect. And then throughout history you see exactly the opposite; corruption and wars and killing in the name of "god"
            I rather focus on things that are real, not just a bunch of assupmtions. I think that whatever the true "god" or "power" is, is much greater than anything humans will ever be able to understand through a religion. In the end, religion just divides people that might otherwise live together peacefully.

Comment

Well I am jewish so I don't go to church

Comment

Forcing religion on anyone, whether it's your own kid or someone you've never met, is a terrible thing to do. If you don't want to go to church, then you shouldn't be forced to go. However, most parents fail to recognise that simple fact. If you force someone to go to church, he's more likely to wait until it's time to leave than to actually pray.

Lying to God and "praying" seems to be a lot worse than not going to Church at all.

Comment

I really hate that. If you dont believe in something(especially when it comes to religion) you shouldnt be forced into following it. If she cant handle the fact that you arent a little kid and you have an independant mind, then you'll just have to show her you are until she gets it. If its going to cost you your flying until she gets it, it may very well be the only position you have, unless you want her to just keep doing this. Your other option is even if it isnt true, tell your mom you dont believe in god. While it may very well give her a coronary, it worked for my friend who was restricted in this same way. After he told her, she left him alone about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mikecweb
                    For a guy your age you sure got some "old fashioned" idea's.

Originally posted by ATLcenter
                    Forcing religion on anyone, whether it's your own kid or someone you've never met, is a terrible thing to do. If you don't want to go to church, then you shouldn't be forced to go. However, most parents fail to recognise that simple fact. If you force someone to go to church, he's more likely to wait until it's time to leave than to actually pray.

Lying to God and "praying" seems to be a lot worse than not going to Church at all.
                    You said it all.

No one can force someone to believe in something they don't.
                    I've grown to "dislike" the people that cannot understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by mikecweb
                      Exactly.

It is only a couple of hours a week out of your life. You won't self destruct from going to church. When you turn 18 then you can decide on your own unless of course you're still living at home.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300
                        Exactly.

It is only a couple of hours a week out of your life. You won't self destruct from going to church. When you turn 18 then you can decide on your own unless of course you're still living at home.
                        But it's not the time lost that bothers me. It's the fact that being in a church and not praying is against the purpose of going to a church at all. People know how much faith they have early on; I know I'm not the MOST faithful person around. And those that sleep on the pews know that too. So why just keep them there against their will?

If you're going to go to a church, then you ought to go whether you're 15 or 55, or as long as you have faith. If you're not going to a church because of a lack of faith, then you ought not be forced to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                          I'm 15 and my mom is still forcing me to go to church. I tell her I have a mind of my own and can make my own decisions about it. She starts giving me this "you have to go for Confirmation" BS and when that doesn't work, she stoops down to the "go for me" and when that doesn't work, "you don't go to church, you don't go flying." I mean, after that, what the hell am I supposed to do?

I'm sick and tired of putting up with her shit. Somebody help me.
                          Get a job, support yourself, get your own home and make your own rules

Comment

No you know what. This is crap, your opinion that because he is under 18 he should just shut up and take it is a load of BS. He is a human being who should be respected. It is a rediculous notion that he should move out, get a job and support himself at his age. He should just be respected and told that he can make his own decisions on faith.

Comment

Originally posted by UA-F9 Guy
                              No you know what. This is crap, your opinion that because he is under 18 he should just shut up and take it is a load of BS. He is a human being who should be respected. It is a rediculous notion that he should move out, get a job and support himself at his age. He should just be respected and told that he can make his own decisions on faith.

Hehe, oh cry me a river, as long as his mother doesnt force him to pray and actually believe and just wants him to go with her, nothing wrong with that.

And no, it's not crap to be submissive to his mother's rules of the house as long as she is supporting him!

Comment

Working...
                              X