Should Kids Be Forced To Go To Church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leftseat86
    Mike, (mikecweb) while I agree with what you said mostly (as usual) i think there is one thing we're missing here. No one should be FORCED to partake in a faith which they do not believe in. There is a difference between exposing your child to religion and letting them decide if it is right for them, and straight forcing them to accept it as part of their life.
    But...if I were in his shoes...I would go just to be respectfull to their wishes...just as I go when I'm with my Grandfather since it is his Sunday routine.

But theres also a difference between respect and submission.
    Agreed. I was watching that new series on A&E last night and this girl that cuts was visting here parents and her fathers all "god gave us to gifs, our body and mind and you should take care of them blah blah blah!"

Like as if the magical word of god will suddenly maker realize shes doing something wrong... , the girls depressed and needs a counceller/someone to talk to not the word of god...

As for the situation were in... You goto the church and you sit there i sound like a parent. I wont make my kids goto church because i wont goto church. I think you should just go, do it for your mother... Your free when your 18.
    -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
      Agreed. I was watching that new series on A&E last night and this girl that cuts was visting here parents and her fathers all "god gave us to gifs, our body and mind and you should take care of them blah blah blah!"

Like as if the magical word of god will suddenly maker realize shes doing something wrong... , the girls depressed and needs a counceller/someone to talk to not the word of god...
      So you are saying that people can't be positively influenced by religion?
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
        If you belive in it, go for it.
        Originally posted by Leftseat86
        No one should be FORCED to partake in a faith which they do not believe in. There is a difference between exposing your child to religion and letting them decide if it is right for them, and straight forcing them to accept it as part of their life.
        That's my feeling- "To each his own." If the kid wants to go to church because of their religious beliefs or they feel they should, that's great, but if they're being forced to do it when it's something they don't believe or follow, then there's no real point to doing so. Why go to a baseball game if you're not interested in what's going on on the field?

I don't think that kids should be forced to go, but they should get a say in whether or not they do go- whether or not they actually go can be the parent's decision depending on what they feel about religion. I've been to church once in the last 11 years. Why? My parents aren't (and as far as I can remember, have never been) extremely religious. On the other hand, I have a friend whose family is die-hard Christian & if you're going to miss church, you'd better have a really good excuse.

DeltaRules

http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviati...r=Josh+Sprague

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
          So you are saying that people can't be positively influenced by religion?
          Yes. If you watched she was just sitting there eating and not listening. Not everyone has to belive or be influenced by it.
          -Kevin

Comment

I agree with those who have mentioned the fact that the original author is young and still lives at home, therefore needs to abide by the rules.

However, not all churches are exactly what I would call "safe" places to be. I went to a whacko extremist Pentecostal christian church and it was full of nutcases and whack jobs with pretty strange ideas about the world and how it works... to this day I still have issues with some of things I was lead to believe...

Hopefully you are not being dragged to some awful church with twisted views... if so, just tune out the sermon and smile politely... I find it works the best.
            My Jetphotos.net Images

Comment

Originally posted by A332
              Pentecostal
              Ok, im hearing all these differnt religion stuffs, can someone turn the light on on this one?
              -Kevin

Comment

Well... Dictionary.com says:

Pen·te·cos·tal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pnt-kstl, -kôstl)
                adj.
                Of, relating to, or occurring at Pentecost.
                Of, relating to, or being any of various Christian religious congregations whose members seek to be filled with the Holy Spirit, in emulation of the Apostles at Pentecost.

Either way... it was all whacko born-again Christians where I went... the kind of place you'd find your "speaking in tongues" and your "holy rollers"... frightening.
                My Jetphotos.net Images

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
                  Yes. If you watched she was just sitting there eating and not listening. Not everyone has to belive or be influenced by it.
                  So no one can be influenced positively by religion? That's what I was asking...
                  Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by A332
                    I agree with those who have mentioned the fact that the original author is young and still lives at home, therefore needs to abide by the rules.

However, not all churches are exactly what I would call "safe" places to be. I went to a whacko extremist Pentecostal christian church and it was full of nutcases and whack jobs with pretty strange ideas about the world and how it works... to this day I still have issues with some of things I was lead to believe...

Hopefully you are not being dragged to some awful church with twisted views... if so, just tune out the sermon and smile politely... I find it works the best.
                    That reminds me of this thing I saw on TV about a church someplace in the depths of the South, where they dance with poisonous snakes and say "god" protects them. Crazy stuff.

Comment

Umm I didnt say that and i thought i made it clear in my answer, well i guess not. Yes people can be positivle influenced if you choose to care.
                      -Kevin

Comment

I think he means theres a difference between using religion and religion using you...

Comment

Working...
                        X