Macintosh Hacker Attacks Are on the Rise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macintosh Hacker Attacks Are on the Rise

Hacker attacks on Apple Computer Inc.'s (Nasdaq:AAPL - news) Macintosh (news - web sites) OS X operating system, thought by many who use the Mac to be virtually immune to attack, are on the rise, according to a report from anti-virus software vendor Symantec Corp (Nasdaq:SYMC - news).

"Contrary to popular belief, the Macintosh operating system has not always been a safe haven from malicious code," said the report, which was issued on Monday.

"It is now clear that the Mac OS is increasingly becoming a target for the malicious activity that is more commonly associated with Microsoft and various Unix (news - web sites)-based operating systems."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ech_apple_dc_1
    - The baby will be back -

My "Mail" programme started acting funny yesterday. Shortly beforehand, I clicked on a link that an Ebay customer sent me by accident, and it turned out to be an .exe flie. I always thought .exe files were no threat to Macs, cause Mac OS can't open such files. Anyhow, maybe it's just a coincidence... or maybe it's that 25 MB file that I sent to a friend the other day that's still reeking havoc in my Mail programme...

Comment

hehe...Some classmate is a Mac User, and he said that they won't come in his 'Mac' cause he has the best firewall, Antivirus software, bla bla.....
      a month ago he said that he didn't need to have that since 'Mac' is invulnerable(sp?) for Virusses and hackers.....he's pathetic
      on the other hand, I'm LMAO
      Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
      - Metzgermeister

Comment

*dirty laughter* I always knew it *evil laughter*

Comment

Perhaps I should have added that this is the first "problem" I've had with a mac in 3 1/2 years. Except for the fact that Microsoft Office crashes once in a while, but I can hardly blame my Mac for that

Comment

Just like they mentioned in the article, the only reason why Mac OS seem less vulnerable is due to low number of users compared to Windows.

but of course, Microsoft would have more problems a priori anyway because they are so pathetic (just like most people though, I'm a loser Windows user )

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
              but of course, Microsoft would have more problems a priori anyway because they are so pathetic (just like most people though, I'm a loser Windows user )
              I've never had a problem with any OS I've run that I didn't cause myself..

Comment

Having said what said though, I have Windows ME running on my older computer, and it is quite reliable and doens't crash often. So I don't know why everyone has so much probolem with ME.

The only thing that irks me is every time I use Acrobat reader, computer performance drastically decrease, and often result in a reboot

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
                  Having said what said though, I have Windows ME running on my older computer, and it is quite reliable and doens't crash often. So I don't know why everyone has so much probolem with ME.

The only thing that irks me is every time I use Acrobat reader, computer performance drastically decrease, and often result in a reboot
                  Interesting. I have ME in my old computer, and it's ok till I have too many programs running at the same time. Prolly a RAM issue... I was too cheap to go out and buy more. Nonetheless, I (probably unfairly) attributed all of the problems to Windows. In fact, I renamed Windows ME into Windows Y2K.

Comment

Alex, BUY THAT PC SOONER! I thought the day would never comes. Ahh, sucks to be them!
                    -Kevin

Comment

Fact: There has NEVER been a successful attack on OSX. As a matter of fact ZDNet put up a $13,000 prize for anyone who could crack the OSX code some years back. The prize was never claimed.

Fact: There were only 72 viruses, worms and other attacks on the older classic platform from the early 90s until the introduction of OSX.

The belief is in the Mac community is that Symantic is making this announcement for one reason only..SALES!

Bottom line, as the 'Mac Minis' increases the Mac user base, the Mac will definetly become a more tempting target, we have known that for years. Still the Mac, Linux and others are light years more secure than what is currently offered by Gates and company.

Aldo

Comment

Ultimately a platform is only as secure as the person behind it. Some just take less work than others.

Comment

Working...
                        X