Judge denies Schiavo's parents' petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge denies Schiavo's parents' petition

Personally, if it's been determined that Terry's chance of recovering is slimmer than the Olsen twins, then keeping her alive is just a waste taxpayer money.
    I know it's a good thing that people don't give up their hopes, there are times when they should look at the wider effects of their "stubbornness".
    Any thoughts?

For the third time in four days, Terri Schiavo's parents asked the same federal appeals court to order the reinsertion of their brain-damaged daughter's feeding tube, claiming that her due process and religious rights were being violated.

Schiavo's feeding tube was removed a week ago on a state judge's order that agreed with Schiavo's husband, Michael, who says his wife has no hope for recovery and wouldn't want to be kept alive artificially.
    The parent's latest appeal, which opens with the sentence, "This is a mercy killing case," asks the court to order the Florida hospice where Terri Schiavo is staying to immediately transport her by ambulance to a hospital for medical treatment to sustain her life.

"Jeb Bush does not own the state of Florida and just cannot impose his will on Terri Schiavo," he told CBS' The Early Show.

I think its best that they let her fully go, in a way she is already dead, brain dead for 15 years now. Its been past time.

Comment

She's basically dead already...

Comment

We were talking about this in English class today. Someone made a good point. Here is there quote:

"Politicans are taking to much advantage of this. I mean this women is nearly dead but people don't realize that it is also just one person. Just look at how many people died (dying) in Iraq. Do they get media attention and political attention like this? Hell NO!!!"

Comment

If it had been me I would have wanted the tube removed years ago. You would not be allowed to keep an animal alive in this manner. I can not imagine why her parents and siblings are prolonging the inevitable, and given their strong Catholicism you would think they would be happy she would be in heaven. But I am not in their shoes.
          ________
          Lesbian vid

Comment

Originally posted by expoITHscohen
            We were talking about this in English class today. Someone made a good point. Here is there quote:

"Politicans are taking to much advantage of this. I mean this women is nearly dead but people don't realize that it is also just one person. Just look at how many people died (dying) in Iraq. Do they get media attention and political attention like this? Hell NO!!!"

I'm going to be blunt... That is the stupidest point I've heard in a long time. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. The issue runs much deeper then death itself. In-fact the issue is life and who eventually is going to make the decisions between life and death for the permanently disabled. Do you want your government making those decisions or your family? Well in this case a series of Judges who don't know the patient from a hole in the wall basically said let her die. I for one would rather give that decision to the family, and in this case her husband since they are not devoiced should make the final decision not a judge.

As for Iraq, war is war, whether you agree with the war or disagree we the American people put George Bush in power and therefore said “we support your policies, and the ramifications of those polices”. Soldiers die in war it’s a reality and its unrealistic that every death in war is going to be covered on the nightly news. The Terri Schiavo case is unique and people should pay close attention to it, someday you may know someone in her position and I for one don’t want a stranger making the decision whether a loved one dies or not….

Comment

A person who can blink eyes and who sleeps, breathes, consumes food and water is not dead. She might be brain dead to the extent that she can no longer function properly but she is alive as she is breathing and consuming energy. If the doctors knew she was brain dead, they should not have even operated on her for so many years. But after 15 years, what is the problem now?

Besides the way she is being dealt with is horrendous to say the least. Starving a person! If they did wanted to end her life, why not murder her with a lethal injection? Why make her suffer so much? She has a soul believe it or not. And if the US government does not want to help her anymore, maybe they should setup a fund for her which would collect donations which would pay for her food and other ammenities.

I know for a fact that I would not like to end my life like her and so won't any of you who support this. Just for a moment think about your most loved one (Mom, Dad, siblings, etc.) and just imagine if (God Forbid) they were in such a situation.
              You only have one life...

Make wise decisions and live freely.

Comment

I think the decision about her future, or lack thereof, should be left up to people who really care about her (ie. her parents), and not be put in the hands of a husband who is engaged to another woman and who may have his eyes on the insurance settlement.
                Will F.
                Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by aic1985
                  A person who can blink eyes and who sleeps, breathes, consumes food and water is not dead. She might be brain dead to the extent that she can no longer function properly but she is alive as she is breathing and consuming energy. If the doctors knew she was brain dead, they should not have even operated on her for so many years. But after 15 years, what is the problem now?

Besides the way she is being dealt with is horrendous to say the least. Starving a person! If they did wanted to end her life, why not murder her with a lethal injection? Why make her suffer so much? She has a soul believe it or not. And if the US government does not want to help her anymore, maybe they should setup a fund for her which would collect donations which would pay for her food and other ammenities.

I know for a fact that I would not like to end my life like her and so won't any of you who support this. Just for a moment think about your most loved one (Mom, Dad, siblings, etc.) and just imagine if (God Forbid) they were in such a situation.
                  It's debatable whether or not she can actually feel anything (ie: having no food). Doctors have speculated that her body may have created some type of anesthesia(sp) that made it so she can't feel the hunger.
                  Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
                  ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

I think the whole thing is appalling ...

1. If the family want her alive so badly, why the hell doesn't the husband just hand her over to the family and walk away?

2. The issue is nothing more than a fight against agendas now ....

3. What sort of civilisation starves their people to death?

Appalling
                    ADG
                    No makeovers please .....

Comment

Originally posted by aic1985

a person who's had a major stroke can also sense touch, blink there eyes etc, she is not consuming food and water, she is being fed through a tube in her stomach! that is a huge difference. she is NOT suffering, she is being given palliative care which consists of pain killing medication. this is just about teh stupidest post i've read!

it's not the US govt's place to help her, its frankly none of there business! it's between her and the next of kin which is her husband, nobody else! she's been in this state for nearly 20 bloody years and the husband should be able to move on with his life, she chose to starve herself back then, which lead to her condition today and now everyone is carrying on like they are saving a precious life, if her life was so precious she'd not have put herself in this danger 15 years ago.

let her die and be done with it, the US govt have made themselves look stupid by interfering in a matter that has squat to do with them.

next trips
                      USA/DXB August.

Comment

I'm so confused about this lady, people tell me different things about Terry every day, I can't make a decission about her... But what I do know is that the Bush family really needs to fuck off on this one...
                        Wu Tang Clan: best rap group of all time

Save hip-hop, bring talent and intelligence back into it

Comment

longreach747,

It is not fair the way she is being treated. And the bottom line is that legal system is not giving her parents any chance or any kind of resolution....utter stubborness on the system's part.

Like I said, establish a fund for her. This is just toying with one's life. Who gives anybody the right to choose when one dies? My argument is that first they keep her alive for 15 years and then when they think that it is not right, they pull the plug on her!

Besides, what's the use now. Her husband succeeded in starving her to death. She won't be alive for long now anyways.
                          You only have one life...

Make wise decisions and live freely.

Comment

You would expect me to come on here and post something very right-winged and anti-death, but I'm not going to. Who knows what this woman would have wanted? Nobody can prove it. AND, what congress did makes me sick. They are not supposed to get that into a specfic situation in my opinon. If I were in either house, I would have voted no on that bill(and probley caught hell for it).

This case just further supports an idea I had several years ago. I think it should be law that everyone have a current and leagal living will for just such a situation. They are cheap and quick to make, but god forbid you get into a situation like this poor woman, at least your family and doctors will know what you want them to do.
                            THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
                            Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                            George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Originally posted by Longreach747
                              everyone is carrying on like they are saving a precious life, if her life was so precious she'd not have put herself in this danger 15 years ago.

let her die and be done with it, the US govt have made themselves look stupid by interfering in a matter that has squat to do with them.
                              Your wrong. Period! All life if precious. Even yours amazingly enough.
                              Terri has been the parents all her life. Her husband hasn't. Her parents are wanting and willing to care for their daughter. Her husband is not.
                              It doesn't matter whether her husband is inconveinienced or if he wants to move on. He took a vow when he married and part of it I'm sure read "In good and in bad,in sickness and health".
                              His desires aren't worth a damn. This guy spent money that was to have been put on Terri. Instead, he shacks up with another woman, produces kids while still married and decides it's too much bother to deal with his wife. Poor guy wants to move on. Tisk tisk!What a class act. In essence, killing his wife. As long as her heart beats,her eyes are open and she pulls her breath, she is alive and has every right to do so as you or anyone else.

This memo seeks to clarify several misconceptions that have been circulating throughout the media in the case of Terri Schindler-Schiavo.

MYTH
                              Terri is in a coma or comatose-like state.

REALITY
                              None of Terri’s doctors currently maintain that she is in a coma. Some doctors believe that Terri is in a persistent vegetative state while others disagree and believe that she is “minimally conscious.” Most Americans have seen footage of Terri interacting with her mother by now and it is hard to ignore the way in which she appears to light up at the sound of her mother’s voice.

Important note:

The definition of PVS in Florida Statue 765.101:
                              Persistent vegetative state means a permanent and irreversible condition of unconsciousness in which there is:

(a) The absence of voluntary action or cognitive behavior of ANY kind.
                              (b) An inability to communicate or interact purposefully with the environment.

MYTH
                              Terri is on life support. Terri requires machines to live.

REALITY
                              To state that Terri is on life support or that she requires machines to live implies that Terri is dependent upon what has traditionally been considered life support, such as a ventilator, heart machine, or kidney dialysis.

Terri is a healthy woman with a disability and she is not hooked up to any machines as has been widely reported. She breathes on her own and merely receives nutrition and hydration through a feeding tube, much the same as a baby is sustained by the nutrition he or she receives through a bottle.

MYTH
                              Terri’s parents refuse to let her go and allow her to die.

REALITY
                              Terri is not terminally ill — she is a healthy woman with a disability. To induce someone’s death by denying him or her nutrition and hydration is an act of starvation. Terri’s parents have asked for Michael Schiavo to step down as her legal guardian and allow them to care for their daughter.

MYTH
                              Terri’s case is a right-to-die case.

REALITY
                              This claim is disputed. Terri’s parents and siblings say that she does not want to be starved to death and are asking the courts to allow them to care for her.

MYTH
                              Death by starvation and dehydration is painless.

REALITY
                              Florida law does not allow a dog to be subject to death by starvation, so why should Terri, a human being, be sentenced to such a death?

In Wesley J. Smith’s book, Forced Exit, St. Louis neurologist William Burke said:

“A conscious person would feel it [dehydration] just as you or I would. They will go into seizures. Their skin cracks, their tongue cracks, their lips crack. They may have nosebleeds because of the drying of the mucous membranes, and heaving and vomiting might ensue because of the drying out of the stomach lining. They feel the pangs of hunger and thirst. Imagine going one day without a glass of water! Death by dehydration takes ten to fourteen days. It is an extremely agonizing death.”

Do we really live in a civilized society? Think about it.
                              Who's on first?..........

Comment

Working...
                              X