Judge denies Schiavo's parents' petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okay, just my $0.02,
    the U.S. have bombed cities, and killing thousands, but when it comes to 1 person, An emergency law is there, people who are saying ''life is a gift of god'', wth? so letting her life as some house-plant is good for her? she can't do anything, she only responds on light and sounds....so what's the point in letting her life?

P.S. this is NOT an attack on the U.S.
    Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
    - Metzgermeister

Comment

Originally posted by a78jumper
      Amen brother!

If God wants her to continue living maybe she will come out of her vegetative state. Being kept alive by a feeding tube is no different than be kept alive by a respirator or other induced means. Unplug a respirator and the person suffocates. Ugly yes, but a fact of life, and ultimately, death.
      Here is what I love about this whole situation with both Bush brothers getting involved. First off I'm one of the few assholes on here that put BOTH into office. If the family made a big media stink about this (which they did) and the Bush brothers didn't do anything, they would be considered insensitive and murderers. Its become politics and there's not much anyone could do about it. I believe the Bush brothers handled it like any of us would do. Try and push for what their party believes in and let the courts handle the decisions.
      That being said I agree with whats happening. People say oh look she can move and her eyes blink because they saw that video of her. That video was taken 5 years ago. Who the hell knows whats going on with her now.
      Its not the Bush's that make you hear this everynight its the news media and the family.
      When I die. I hope my family doesn't pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep me alive and then watch me drool for 30 years.

Originally posted by wannabepilot777
      Enough arguing about this poor woman. Her parents and their lawyers have just given up and soon she will die.
      This conversation needs to turn toward how to make sure this situation never occures again. This is why I said there should be a law that everyone have a living will so that their exact wishes can be carried out in the event that they are not able to comunicate them on their own.
      That is the case.
      But when ur in your late 20s you may not plan on dying so if you don't have this written down what do you do then. Parents say she told him one thing and her husband said she told him another. She probably told both of them what they wanted to hear or said nothing at all. SHES BRAIN DEAD how can u trust anything she says.
      Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by mikecweb
        SHES BRAIN DEAD how can u trust anything she says.
        I agree on one of these points: You can't trust anything she says. But brain dead? No.
        This is taken from http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/921394859.html :

"A persistent vegetative state, which sometimes follows a coma, refers to a condition in which individuals have lost cognitive neurological function and awareness of the environment but retain noncognitive function and a perserved sleep-wake cycle.

It is sometimes described as when a person is technically alive, but his/her brain is dead. However, that description is not completely accurate. In persistent vegetative state the individual loses the higher cerebral powers of the brain, but the functions of the brainstem, such as respiration (breathing) and circulation, remain relatively intact. Spontaneous movements may occur and the eyes may open in response to external stimuli, but the patient does not speak or obey commands. Patients in a vegetative state may appear somewhat normal. They may occasionally grimace, cry, or laugh."

I haven't followed up on the case that much- people told me the videos were recorded shortly before the trial, that's what I believed, soo.. yeah, that's why I said it :/

Well... yeah... I think this thing has been debated enough, it is a shame it has to be made into something the medias earn money on...
        -Janni

Comment

Patients in a vegetative state...may occasionally grimace, cry, or laugh."
          What we perceive as a grimace, cry or laugh is actually not so. The same bit states above that a person in persistent vegetative state has lost all cognitive neurological function. So the "grimace, cry or laugh" is actually none of that but simple muscle movement. The grimace is not because she feels pain (she can't feel pain), the cry is not because she is sad (she doesn't know what sad is) and the laugh is not because she's happy (she doesn't know what happy is).
          "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

The most important thing that I think should come out of this is the need for living wills. If she had had a living will, there would be no problems with any of this. I see a possibility for future legislation stating that unless you have a living will stating otherwise, if you are involved in an accident/disease/whatever, you must be kept alive. I mean, it's only $125 to get a living will, well worth it in my opinion.

As far as legalized euthanasia...all I see with that is a Lois Lowry Giver society. If you don't know what I'm talking about, pick up a copy of the book. It's a fairly quick read. The problem with legalized euthanasia is where the boundries are. Instead of trying to help people live, do we simply take the easy way out and say,"We might have been able to save him/her, but they might have had to endure some pain."

In closing to the case, after Schiavo dies, there will be a massive, and when I say massive I mean massive, outpouring and outcry from the pro-life majority in the United States and from across the world.
            It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Comment

To everyone who thinks euthanasia is wrong and those who suppose that Mrs Schiavo is 'just ill'.
              Ask yourself this question: how would you feel when you were locked up yourself in a body that didn't function anymore, but with a mind that still works? I would go absolutely nuts if I were not able to express my thoughts, my wishes, my love for my wife, family and friends FOR 15 YEARS!!!
              Euthanasia is NOT a form of murder, it is an act of great self-sacrifice to allow somebody you love very much, to slip silently away. It's just the most humane thing to do.
              And how do you, in the US, compare this euthanasia discussion to the death penalty in your legal system? People who don't want to die are killed as a form of punishment!!! That is what I call barbaric and hypocritical!!!

Tillerman.
              They locked up a man
              who wanted to rule the world
              The fools
              They locked up the wrong man

-Leonard Cohen, Songs Of Love And Hate

Comment

Working...
              X