Princeton U kids busted by RIAA...I'm worried now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princeton U kids busted by RIAA...I'm worried now

This was in todays paper. 39 students at the University have been subpoenaed by the RIAA for sharing music through a P2P network.

I have a couple of questions though? Is it only illegal to upload (share) music, or is simply downloading it illegal as well?

Also, how do the RIAA catch these people?

Suppose for instance I download a song off a P2P network, and then move it from the shared folder (the folder that it automatically downloads into which the P2P uses to upload those files from my computer) to some other location on my harddrive, and then delete the download registry files, is it still possible for the RIAA to bust me?

This thing at Princeton has really hit close to home now, and I'm worried about it.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

I'm not really sure, but posting stuff on internet forums under a screen name that includes your name might not be the smartest thing if things were to go bad

Comment

Wether it's illegal or not kinda depends on the country that you live in.
      Here in Holland it's illegal to upload anything that has a copyright, downloading copyrighted material on the otherhand is completely legal.
      I think it works the same in the US, but I'm not 100% sure.

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
        You honestly belive that... its ILLEGAL to upload AND download copyright files...!!!!

Just like its "illegal" to save my pictures to your hard disk without permission and its illegal for you to upload them somewhere else without my consent...

There is also no such thing as the "24hr" rule either
        I suggest you take another look at my previous post, especially the first line.
        In my country it is legal to download things that have a copyright, as long as you don't redistribute it.

Comment

If you're worried, stop doing it. You don't want to end up in Fedreal "pound-me-in-the-@ss" prison
          Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
            If you're worried, stop doing it. You don't want to end up in Fedreal "pound-me-in-the-@ss" prison
            "the key is to kick someones ass the first day, or become somebodys bitch"

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
              "the key is to kick someones ass the first day, or become somebodys bitch"
              "Do we get conjugal visits?"

Comment

I'm not really concerned...since the RIAA doesn't give a rats ass about the music I download anyway...if you have a library full of britney spears and what gets played on the radio all the time...I'd check myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                  if you have a library full of britney spears and what gets played on the radio all the time...I'd check myself.
                  I'd kick myself

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                    I'd kick myself
                    I'd lick myself.

Comment

I'm wondering about downloading via a shared AIM folder. My friend has about 60gb of music shared via AIM. Ah, got to love legal intricacies.

How dare you judge me? Look at you. You're just some penny-stealing... criminal... man.

Comment

Originally posted by Screaming_Emu
                        I'm not really sure, but posting stuff on internet forums under a screen name that includes your name might not be the smartest thing if things were to go bad
                        Originally posted by indian airlines
                        Suppose for instance I download a song off a P2P network
                        I don't actually do it.
                        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Downloading music is like female masturbation...they all do it...just not all of them admit to it...

Comment

Oh how I miss the original Napster.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                              Downloading music is like female masturbation...they all do it...just not all of them admit to it...
                              just the thought of it makes me smile

Comment

Working...
                              X