I've got my first f/t job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got my first f/t job!

Today I got my first full time job. I'm going to be teaching English in South Korea, and I will leave Australia for 12 months in about three or four weeks.

I've wanted to do this line of work since 2002 when I was at university, and now I've got the job I've been planning for. I have visited South Korea before, in February 2003, to sort of have a look at the country and lifestyle before plunging myself into full time employment there. Excitement!!!

I'll probably be posting to this message board from South Korea for a while...are there any spotters on the board from there?

TangoSierraVictor
    Australia bound!
    Sep 3 ICN-KIX JL964 767
    Sep 3~4 KIX-BNE JL777 747

Congrats man, enjoy it. I really want to return to asia sometime soon, I love it there.

Comment

Originally posted by TangoSierraVictor
      Today I got my first full time job. I'm going to be teaching English in South Korea, and I will leave Australia for 12 months in about three or four weeks.

I've wanted to do this line of work since 2002 when I was at university, and now I've got the job I've been planning for. I have visited South Korea before, in February 2003, to sort of have a look at the country and lifestyle before plunging myself into full time employment there. Excitement!!!

I'll probably be posting to this message board from South Korea for a while...are there any spotters on the board from there?

TangoSierraVictor
      Congratulations man! I missed my opportunity when I used to live in Hong Kong. Now, it's too freaking far

I couldn't figure out your signature: the husband of a widow is supposed to be dead?!

Comment

Well done. I live nearby in Kagoshima Japan doing the same line of work. Where will you teach? School, private?
        YBBN - James

Comment

Originally posted by TangoSierraVictor

TangoSierraVictor
          Nice, do you need to be a qualified teacher or can any old English speaking Joe go teach English in places like Korea, Japan etc?
          Last edited by tiger9999187; 2005-04-04, 06:44. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by tiger9999187
            Nice, do you need to be a qualified teacher or can any old English speaking Joe go teach English in places like Korea, Japan etc?
            In Japan you can get a job as an assistant english teacher, work at about 5 different school just assisting with teaching english with no language skills necessary.
            Sam Rudge
            A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

-------->avro_arrow_25206
              It's never too far! The vast majority of institutions will even pay for your airfare.
              And cool, you're the first to mention my joke!

-------->YBBN
              At a private institution in Tongyoung. There are lots of 'hagwons' which tutor/teach ESL students who want to learn English.

-------->tiger9999187
              You need to apply for a work visa, under the category of English language instructor. The first prerequisite for the visa is at least a 3-year university/college degree in anything (science/sociology/literature). I'm an English lit major. The second prerequisite is that you are a native English speaker.

Excitement!!!

TangoSierraVictor
              Australia bound!
              Sep 3 ICN-KIX JL964 767
              Sep 3~4 KIX-BNE JL777 747

Comment

Have a good time. I just noticed that I joined Air Canada (Feb 26/79) before TSV was born. I don't feel that old.....

Comment

Originally posted by tiger9999187
                  My brother is doing the teaching in Japan thing. You need $5000USD in your account if you want a working visa (think thats what he got anyway) and it only lasts 6 months, with a possible 6 onth extension then you have to leave.

To stay on longer then that you have to be sponsored by a company.

He has no degrees, uni time or experience either.

Comment

Congrats. Enjoy this job.
                    I am planning to do the same...
                    Alain
                    Thanks for visiting
                    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                    *JetPhotos*
                    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

A friends brother taught english in South Korea for two years.

He had some interesting stories. Some of those jobs sounded more like slave labour whores than teachers. He mentioned one place that would "hang on" to your passport and treat you like crap. I don't know how much truth there is in his stories. He also said there were some good respectable schools that were pretty good to work for, though some still didn't give much in the way of respect. Especially if you were caucasian. The most urgent of his warnings, "NEVER EVER meet a local girls parents"....heh

I also have three friends who spent a few years teaching in Taiwan and they had a great time. They had nothing to say but good things about everything involved.

Except one guy who was always falling victim to a local shop keepers pranks. One involved an electric fly swatter.

Two of the three were married there and the other isn't coming back to Canada except to visit.

At any rate, good luck, I hope you have a good experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X