X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts on the "turmoil" between this and Airl

quote:
    Originally posted by SST2707:
    Just 2 Billion???? WHOA!!! Its more like 6 Billion. Does that mean we get six sites???

Its interesting... look at the number of airliner photography site.. PlanePictures, Jetphotos, Airliners, and others. Airliners is a small interst group and yet there are tons of sites.

Looking at my other love, space and astronomy, the only decent "community" is Space.com and even that one is going bankrupt.

I don't mind paying for a site. $5.00/month isn't much and I know how much work, resources, and money it takes to run a site. Chris if you want, I will send you a $10 donation check come Christmas. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] But I won't pay for a site with silly moderating and mudslinging and preferential treatment.

And that's my final word. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[img]clap.gif[/img] [img]clap.gif[/img]
    I could not agree with you more.
    I'll send $15.00 to Chris..
    [img]laff.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by Tom:
      Well you have my thumbs up Mirrodie, with over 2 billion people in this world, there's certainly room for two sites. BTW have you been over to ISP lately? There's a really cool looking private 737 parked near the tower.

Regards
      Tom

http://geosurvey.nationalgeographic....uestion_1.html

Try this...Spot the score the americans got... [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
      I walked across an empty land
      I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
      I felt the earth beneath my feet
      Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Yes I know many of my countrymen are morons... but then again, I have yet to see another nation put a man on the moon, generate the world's largest economy, yada, yada, yada.

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by SST2707:
          Yes I know many of my countrymen are morons... but then again, I have yet to see another nation put a man on the moon, generate the world's largest economy, yada, yada, yada.

Create the best planes, and FIRST IN FLIGHT

Which North Carolina (my state) is where this took place.

Comment

I believe the first heavier than air flight was in fact a New Zealander, but the publicity machine generated by the states as usual glossed over the historical facts...

Comment

Popular history has it that the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk [in the United States] were the first to fly [a heavier-than-air craft], but this is not true! The first flight was by a twenty-five year old New Zealander, Richard Pearse on March 31, 1902. Pearse, (1877 - 1953), is not generally known for this wonderful feat as [until recently?] there has been very little publicity about it. In fact the first formal mention of his achievement was some seven years later in the newspapers of 1909.

The Flights

Mch 31, 1902 - First powered flight. Estimated distance around 350 yards. Similar to the first Wright Brothers flight, ie, in a straight line, and barely controlled.

Mch ? 1903 - After spending a year working on the engine, and tending to his farm, Pearce made another flight, this time with a distance of only about 150 yards.

May 2, 1903 - Distance unknown, but as usual the aircraft ended up stuck in a gorse hedge 15' off the ground!

May 11, 1903 - This, my opinion, [ie. the opinion of Bill Sherwood] was man's first real flight. Pearse took off along the side of the Opihi River, turned left to fly over the 30' tall river bank, then turned right to fly parallel to the middle of the river. After flying nearly 1,000 yards, his engine began to overheat and lost power, thus forcing a landing way down the dry-ish riverbed. One of the locals, Arthur Tozer, was crossing the river at the time and was rather surprised to have Pearse fly right over his head!

Aerial view of the Opihi River and Pearse's flight path

July 10, 1903 - Again, distance unknown, but the aircraft was (yet again!) stuck in a hedge many feet above the ground until the snow melted some time later.

Source http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/pearse1.html
              An Australian website, and if theres any way they could avoid the kiwis getting the credit they'd have taken it which clinches the authenticity! [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] But of course all you yanks will probably be far too wrapped up in the Wright brothers publicity to take any notice...

[ November 26, 2002 07:52 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Katamarino ]

Comment

Wright Brothers:
                "Wilbur and Orville then built their own 4-cylinder, 12-horsepower engine. They built the 1903 Flyer in sections in the back room of their cycle shop at 1127 West Third in Dayton. When completed, it was shipped down to Kitty Hawk and assembled. On December 14, 1903, Wilbur won a coin toss and made the first attempt to fly the machine. He stalled it on take-off, causing some minor damage. The plane was repaired, and Orville made the next attempt on December 17." Source Henry Ford Museum

May vs December

Also see:

http://www.auckland-airport.co.nz/pearse.html
                http://chrisbrady.itgo.com/pearse/pearse.htm

It strikes me that Pearses Plane was every bit as controllable as Wrights, and indeed was ahead of its time in being a Monowing rather than Biplane design!

Comment

Yanks??

Well my license tag says "First In Flight"

And thats all that matters.
                  [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ November 26, 2002 09:31 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Robert ]

Comment

My latest reply on Johan's new post on "constructive criticism" Trying to post it here before it gets deleted.

I know for a fact that it's just a small group of users that seems to think conspiracies and personal dislike is behind every decision we make here at Airliners.net. You people can run off to Airwhiners.net where you belong.
                    Small group? I doubted. There are other people out there that's still giving a.net a chance, so that's why they are "being quiet".

If airliners has the superior quality, us the "minorities" will not make any complain or criticision.

This really contridicts with the previous post and it's a double standard. Airwhiners is similar to Airliners as well. Johan wouldn't mind about this site despite the former is almost completely look a like to the latter one. However, Johan is having problem with Jetphotos, which is also a look a like website to Airliners.

I have to ask: Why is Airwhiners being promoted, and the post about Jetphotos were banned?

Better shave your own moustache/beard before shaving the others.
                    Airline Route News
                    Airline Route Map Drawings

Comment

I am really liking this site! You are all too cool

I wholeheartedly agree that this site should strictly be PETPHOTOS, (er, ahem, typo...) JETPHOTOS.NET (and not www.bash-airliners.net!!

And with all you guys here creating a welcoming atmosphere, you are already creating your own unique identity.

Tom, didn't see the 737 there. When did you go? And why didn't you let me know you were going!?!!???!!!

BTW, did you all know that BigPhilNYC has the [img]clap.gif[/img]???!!!
                      (NOw that's making use of smilies )
                      Witness the miracle of flight.
                      Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Well, regarding the National Geographic quiz, they sure didn't ask me. The only question I missed was the religion one. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Comment

I guess I'm another who is resorting to Jetphotos.net. Although resorting is not the correct term anymore. I chose to come here now. It's a good site. Good job, Chris, and don't make this site spoiled like A.net. (hey, it was a good site, adn it still is) Its just a pinch too selective.

Comment

All I can say is keep this site like it is now and it will be a great place, I'm trying to get two or three friends to join.

Comment

Two web forums smashed into each other during rush hour Thursday, killing 86 and injuring 523 others.

Dec. 6, 2002 : Network administrators and news servers, ISP's and Netcops swarmed around two overturned, mangled web forums for hours Thursday, locating and freeing injured survivors in the smouldering wreckage of airliners.net and jetphotos.net.

Many denizens sobbed as they described frantically crawling out from broken links after the net's worst forum accident in more than a decade.

"I was thinking, 'God, please don't let me die,'" Whoody Allen said. "You've got flames. You've got smoke. And all over the politics, Is the US bad? Is it alright to disagree without getting banned?

Police said one badly damaged thread could contain more dead posts, but called off the search until daylight Friday.
                              News servers reported Friday morning that investigators suspected a massive cross-posted thread as the most likely cause of the crash. web forum safety officials declined to comment publicly on the investigation.

Airliners.nets forums, one of the sites involved in Thursday's disaster, had over 20,000 posts in the massive thread, which debated over politics.

"I was against 'censorship'," David Spader said of Thursdays's crash, which occurred at 3:05 am. "I downloaded, and I could see the end of the thread was in flames. There were flames coming from all sides."

Emergency crews said 19 people were seriously injured and 204 transported to area hospitals. Some of the injured were apparently sent home from the scene.

"Injuries are among the worst I have seen in my professional career," said Robin Tourniquet, an accident and emergency consultant at St. Linux's Online Hospital.

Others were haunted by the cries of those trapped in the wreckage.

"I could see people with blood pouring down their faces," said Joe Episcope, who was working nearby. "Someone was running with their posts on fire. I could see lots of people were burned badly. They were shouting 'Help! Help! This thread is madness!"'.

Authorities could not immediately determine the total number of denizens aboard the thread. Airliners.net said as many as 2,000 people might have been on online, minutes away from its destination of jetPhotos.net. Jetphotos.net may have carried 400 denizens.

While safety officials were cautious about speculating about the cause of the collision, many said it was possible that the investigation would study the 1996 'Silent Thursday' crosspost disaster.

Andrew Graves, 44, an American posting on the airliners.net forums, felt fortunate just to be alive.

While Graves said he would post again, he added, "It is very depressing to think in the light of this terrible tragedy that the web can still exist. Maybe there is no God."

Thursday's accident was a web forums worst crash since December 1988, when three forums collided over the topic of abortion, killing 39 people.
                              Coyote

Comment

I like this Coyote character, very creative [img]laff.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X