Canadian Liberals vs. American Liberals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Liberals vs. American Liberals

Ive always wonderd since I became intrested in polotics, whats the difference between American and Canadian Liberals? People always in the US say liberals suck and they wont win, but in Canada Liberals win and are the leadin/majority party. Whats the difference?
    -Kevin

In general (general borad-sweep view);

Canada has the Conservatives on the right
    Liberals in the middle
    NDP and Bloc on the left (they are actually more middle-left, but so people still like to call them extreme left I digress)

In the US, there is
    the Republicans on the right
    and the Liberals on the left
    The Liberals in the US were portrayed as extreme commie lefties in the minds of many, worse than the NDP imo

Comment

The difference is, here in the U.S. liberals are seen as "weak" or wusses. That we wont stand up for our country. In all reality its that we see most war as rediculous and while we pay billions to the republican's rich defense contractor friends, we could be using it on social and government reform programs to improve our country from the inside instead of expanding it to places we cant handle and afford. I like to call it the "Rome" theory. While the blindly patriotic right drags us deeper into wars and world conflicts,so that we may bring home "glory". they ignore the problems they are creating and neglecting aat home. As we all know, rome fell because of it.... As we all know, Canada has their problems domestically too but they concentrate on them and get called wusses and get economically punished for making unjust military conflicts. Same with France and Germany. If you dont play the "War of--i mean ON terror" game than you get slapped on the wrist. Essentially creating more domestic problems for those said countries. Its a vicious and completely unwaranted process. Another reason i back the EU as well as the economy of the US. Dont be Blind.

Just my two cents

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
        In the US, there is
        the Republicans on the right
        and the Liberals on the left
        The Liberals in the US were portrayed as extreme commie lefties in the minds of many, worse than the NDP imo
        Whos in the middle, Democrats?

*shutters* NDP, I thought no one could be worse than the NDP, Bloc'NDP now thats bad.
        -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
          Whos in the middle, Democrats?

*shutters* NDP, I thought no one could be worse than the NDP, Bloc'NDP now thats bad.
          Republicans = Conservatives (generally)

Democrats = Liberals (generally, and they are usually the smarter ones )
          "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
            Republicans = Conservatives (generally)

Democrats = Liberals (generally, and they are usually the smarter ones )

Heh! thank you sir.

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
              NDP's not as bad as people think. They care about most of the things I do, such as medicare (including pharmacare), welfare, public transit, social policies (such as same-sex marriage). They are IMO the lesser of the evils, that's why I voted them last time.

In the next election, I'm seriously considering giving the Greens a vote. I'll need to do more research on them though. The good thing is a party gets officially funding when they get more than 3% of the popular vote. The amount of funding depends on the number of votes among other things, so I'm guanrateed my vote will actually count for something.

I do hope they bring in representation by percentage of vote though, instead of this archaic first-past-the-post system. I'm curious to know what the Australians here think of their system

Comment

American liberal= Talks about the envoirnment and then drives an SUV to work.
                Canadian liberal= same as an American liberal, only with a hybrid car.
                THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
                Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Working...
                X