Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While other hope Liberals win here his what you get.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KCMH and Greg are right-the UN is corrupt, and frankly, fails at most of the things that it attempts. The UN needs the US to do its dirty work but always condemns the United States and Israel.
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
      KCMH and Greg are right-the UN is corrupt, and frankly, fails at most of the things that it attempts. The UN needs the US to do its dirty work but always condemns the United States and Israel.
      so what you're saying is that we're right and 100-140 countries (depending on what they were voting on) are wrong? You really really believe that?

Comment

Every nation has it's own agenda and 140 or so all with their own opinions, fundamentally no consensus will be reached. Sure when it was US vs. USSR it was clear what side was which, but now, allies on one issue can be enemies on another. The U.S., in order to protect it's own interests, has to follow a policy that won't appease the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
          Every nation has it's own agenda and 140 or so all with their own opinions, fundamentally no consensus will be reached. Sure when it was US vs. USSR it was clear what side was which, but now, allies on one issue can be enemies on another. The U.S., in order to protect it's own interests, has to follow a policy that won't appease the world.
          So explain the vetoes in my post above and why we chose to veto them?

Originally posted by kcmh
          1. If this is an emergency, please hang up and dial America
          Strengthening the United Nations to respond to natural and other disasters.
          126-1

Ironic isnt it?

Comment

Ok, I'll do a few now.

Condemns USA for shooting down 2 Libyan aircraft.
            U.S. and Libyan tensions had been high after accusations of Libya harboring terrorism. So 2 F-14's flying over the Med and were approached by 2 MiG23's. Which maneuvered in hostile ways even when the f14's attempted to turn away. Permission was given to fire. both Libyan pilots survived being shot down but the Libyans could not recover them. Photographic evidence was given in the U.N. but the Libyans claimed it was faked.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Condemns USA support for the Contra army in Nicaragua.
            Condemns illegal USA embargo of Nicaragua.

I'll put these 2 together. This issue actually straddles both the Monroe and the Truman doctrine. The former because of the U.S. said involvement in the affairs of the Americas. As the leftist view was out of europe (USSR notably) the U.S. felt it was an opposition to them. The Truman doctrine was containment. Keeping the leftist doctrine at bay across the world. The Sandinistas were a leftist, Marxist regime, and this was threat to the U.S. hence the enemy of my enemy is my friend doctrine which permeated the cold war world.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
              Ok, I'll do a few now.

Condemns USA for shooting down 2 Libyan aircraft.
              U.S. and Libyan tensions had been high after accusations of Libya harboring terrorism. So 2 F-14's flying over the Med and were approached by 2 MiG23's. Which maneuvered in hostile ways even when the f14's attempted to turn away. Permission was given to fire. both Libyan pilots survived being shot down but the Libyans could not recover them. Photographic evidence was given in the U.N. but the Libyans claimed it was faked.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Condemns USA support for the Contra army in Nicaragua.
              Condemns illegal USA embargo of Nicaragua.

I'll put these 2 together. This issue actually straddles both the Monroe and the Truman doctrine. The former because of the U.S. said involvement in the affairs of the Americas. As the leftist view was out of europe (USSR notably) the U.S. felt it was an opposition to them. The Truman doctrine was containment. Keeping the leftist doctrine at bay across the world. The Sandinistas were a leftist, Marxist regime, and this was threat to the U.S. hence the enemy of my enemy is my friend doctrine which permeated the cold war world.
              That's the thing. It's only about the US

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                I think the fact that a hand full of countries can single handedly prevent something from going forward is the main problem with the UN. It really defeats the point of voting if a few nations can go 'wait, no, I dont like that one'. That would be like if out of every voter in the US there were say 15,000 that once everybody had finished voting could go "nope sorry, dont like him". On all these issues that we voted to veto...it should really tell you something when you're losing out on the popular vote by numbers like 135-1.

Emu your absolutely dead on with your evaluation of the U.N. I support the idea nations of the world coming together to discuss world issues in a common and neutral forum but its sad to say the U.N is turning into nothing more then what the League of Nations was a failure. The entire organization needs to be rebuilt from the ground up with no Veto power by any nation. Simply put its majority rule and that’s that. I would however put a caveat in there that if a nation does not want to participate in a resolution they have that choice. It is important that the nations of the world remain sovereign and that those nations put the needs of their citizens first.

Comment

Working...
                X