US Moves up to high alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Moves up to high alert

WASHINGTON — The decision to raise the terror alert level in the United States was based in part on Al Qaeda-affiliated e-mails and Web sites, one of which warned Muslims to leave New York, Boston, and Washington, D.C., "by tomorrow," Fox News has learned.

One Web site urged Muslims to "to get out of New York, D.C. and Boston by tomorrow" for what is believed to be a large act of terrorism, officials told Fox News.

Although Ridge acknowledged that there's no credible or specific information with respect to targets or method of attack, any future attack will probably look much like those the world has seen in recent days overseas, using small arm equipped assault teams, large vehicle borne explosive devices and homicide bombers.

"These attacks underscore terrorists’ desires to attack soft targets," Ridge said. "Weapons of mass destruction, including those containing chemical, biological or radiological agents or materials, cannot be discounted."
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

These "terror levels" are the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard of.

Comment

Yeah this really sucks...FLL viewing park should be closing now...AGAIN.
      Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Well, If the administration didn't have these threat levels people would be saying things like, "Why don't we have a warning system," or "Why weren't we warned." And if there ever was another attack, then at the next election the public would almost certainly vote for an opponent who promises things such as these alert levels.
        Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

"Helen get my shot gun and hide the children in the cellar Al Qaeda's coming!"

Great move by our government right before a major holiday weekend. Frighten everybody to stay home and not spend money during the long Memorial Day weekend. Just what the economy needs

My question is if Al Qaeda can bomb a housing development in Saudi Arabia that was guarded by the military what the hell is a few random car and truck checks going to stop????

I say "F" Al Qaeda!!! I'm enjoying my long holiday weekend.

Comment

If they want to strike, they will. Plain and simple.

Comment

I knew they were getting ready to up the Terror Alert Level when I drove past the faciltity @ ATL where they store signs, and saw them getting the vehicle inspection stuff out. The whole alert system is going to eventually turn into "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", we're all going to start to ignore the warnings until one day, POW! I guess Home Depot is seeing a run on duct tape and plastic.

Comment

I was in Lower Manhattan this morning for an interview and I noticed a heavier police presence there than usual, especially around Wall St, which has been corded off from traffic since 9/11. And these weren't the normal beat officers either, but those with heavy artillery and protection. I knew something was up then.

I used to work for a law-enforcement agency for with city and I still have a few contacts there. I’m going to try to find out what’s up.

Comment

See what you can find out in NYC, iceman. I think the govt knows something, but they aren't telling us...

Comment

Has anyone really seen a MAJOR difference with these 'alerts'? I have NOT! I go to school, some one tells me the chance I die of anthrax or a bomb has increased, I go home! ANy thing more?

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
                      Has anyone really seen a MAJOR difference with these 'alerts'? I have NOT! I go to school, some one tells me the chance I die of anthrax or a bomb has increased, I go home! ANy thing more?
                      Well I can tell you for a fact that if the alert is "orange" or higher, you have National Guard troops stationed at the bridges here in New York. These are the ones with those big guns. They pull over a few U-HAUL trucks every day.

You can also see them at the train stations and the airports.

Comment

Originally posted by nyc_spotter
                        Originally posted by ATLcenter
                        Well I can tell you for a fact that if the alert is "orange" or higher, you have National Guard troops stationed at the bridges here in New York. These are the ones with those big guns. They pull over a few U-HAUL trucks every day.

You can also see them at the train stations and the airports.
                        Actually, the National Guardsmen have been around since Feb. They're always at my subway station in Queens. Though I hadn't noticed them for the last week. I have also seen National Guardsmen around the bridges even before this new alert came out.

As for what I've heard, it just seems to be worry about what's going on in Saudi and Morocco more than anything specific here. They say that if AQ strikes, it seems like now would be the likely time because they are in "operation mode". I can get a better answer perhaps tomorrow.

Comment

The next 48 hours is suppose to be the window for terror. We'll see what happens. I don't believe we should limit our freedoms because of it and if something happens we'll be sad and mad but we'll be resilient.

Comment

Working...
                          X