• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Books...

My favs:

Tim O'Brien - The Things They Carried
    Tim O'Brien - Going After Cacciato
    Tim O'Brien - If I Die in a Combat Zone (Box me up and ship me home)

YOU MUST READ ALL OF THOSE^^^

F. Scott Fitzgerald - Gatsby and This Side of Paradise

Orwell - 1984, Animal Farm, Down and out in Paris and London

Huxley - Brave New World

Bradbury - The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man, Farenheit 451

Amy Tan - The Kitchen God's Wife

Jean Paul Sartre - Les Mots

Out of those I've read The Great Gatsby, 1984 and Animal Farm (awesome book).

Some of my favorites are books by Robin Cook and Matthew Reilly. They're science fiction, but really good science fiction. Robin Cook's books deal with medical stuff, so if you're into that, they're a must read.

And then ofcourse everybody's favorite books (either to read or to make fun of)...the Harry Potter Series and Lord of the Rings.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
      My favs:

Tim O'Brien - Going After Cacciato
      Tim O'Brien - If I Die in a Combat Zone (Box me up and ship me home)

YOU MUST READ ALL OF THOSE^^^

F. Scott Fitzgerald - Gatsby
      and This Side of Paradise

Orwell - 1984, Animal Farm, Down and out in Paris and London

Huxley - Brave New World

Bradbury - The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man, Farenheit 451

Amy Tan - The Kitchen God's Wife

I've read and loved the ones in bold. Also, check out ANYTHING by Noam Chomsky. I love Understanding Power and Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance. The Da Vinci code actually sucked in my opinion. If you dont like liberals or are one and like to laugh read Ann Coulter's How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must): The World According to Ann Coulter. Shes so ignorant and close-minded that it makes me crack up everytime i read it.

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
        Out of those I've read The Great Gatsby, 1984 and Animal Farm (awesome book).

Some of my favorites are books by Robin Cook and Matthew Reilly. They're science fiction, but really good science fiction. Robin Cook's books deal with medical stuff, so if you're into that, they're a must read.

And then ofcourse everybody's favorite books (either to read or to make fun of)...the Harry Potter Series and Lord of the Rings.

I urge you to read those Tim O'Brien books...you will never look at war in the same way

Comment

I urge you to read those Tim O'Brien books...you will never look at war in the same way

I really agree

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by UA-F9 Guy
              I really agree
              I love how he talks about people and not just war...he talks about how kids act, how it is when you get back and nobody understands you at all. The last chapter in "The Things They Carried" is amazing...it really helped me deal with my father's death a few months ago.

Originally posted by DeltaASA16

I hope thats not ALL you read...

Comment

Bushido By Inazo Nitobe is what I'm workin through right now. I got about half way through it a few semesters ago but then things got really busy with school and Id idn't have enough time to finish it so I decided to start over.

Comment

I guess you can say I like non-fiction!

Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer

The Perfect Storm - Sebastian Junger

Isaac's Storm - Erik Larson

Between a Rock and a Hard Place - Aron Ralston

Blackhawk Down - Mark Bowden (currently reading)
                  Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                    I guess you can say I like non-fiction!
                    me too, I just can't get into stuff that isn't real.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                      me too, I just can't get into stuff that isn't real.
                      The only fiction book I remember really enjoying was Jurassic Park.
                      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

My favs:

F. Scott Fitzgerald - Great Gatsby
                        Awesome books. Gatsby really is relevant with the materialist pretenses and the futility that the culture imposes.

The things they carried is also great. It isn't about war persay but the mental issues that those kids had. They were essentially kids thrust into a a chaos. The chapter on the man he killed really hit me. It wasn't just a faceless being, it was a man, with family, a life, dreams, hopes, aspirations. Probably the nearest I've been to losing it while reading. Really powerful.

Catch-22 is also a good book.

Comment

It has been quite some time since I last read a book, but good books I remember are the already mentioned Animal Farm, 1984, Brave New World and The Great Gatsby. Books not previously mentioned include Goethe's Faust, Schiller's Kabale und Liebe (don't ask for the English title), and some Michael Crichton book whose title I can't really remember.

Comment

I worked at barnes&noble for half a year.. and didnt read a damn book

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
                              None of these books have enough pictures in them for me to look at *grin*
                              We already knew that...you're british.

Comment

Working...
                              X